PDA

View Full Version : Who still uses their cassette player?

Motorhead350
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
No ipod B.S. no Sirius or XM radio... cassette. I actually used mine for the first time in about two years when I found an old Beach Boy's album called Still Cruizin' and was surprized to find out the sound quality isn't that bad if you turn it up a little.

Anyone here still listen to cassettes?

TiTo35
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I do...I use mine atleast once a week...

Fourth Horseman
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I've owned the car 6 years 3 months and I've never once had a tape in there. ;)

quota
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I did not use any cassette player for the last...15 years !
JP

offroadkarter
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I dont, i use one of those new fangled Ipod touchmajiggers

SC Cheesehead
09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
No ipod B.S. no Sirius or XM radio... cassette. I actually used mine for the first time in about two years when I found an old Beach Boy's album called Still Cruizin' and was surprized to find out the sound quality isn't that bad if you turn it up a little.

Anyone here still listen to cassettes?

Yup, got some old cassettes that I still listen to occasionally, but most of the time I've got the Sirius on.

BTW, I've got a copy of "Still Crusin" and enjoy listening to it from time to time; "In My Car" is one of my favorites.

http://www.lyrics007.com/Beach%20Boys%20Lyrics/In%20My%20Car%20Lyrics.html

Egon Spengler
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
we have a cassette deck!?!?!!? J/K... Never used it tho!

O's Fan Rich
09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Zig Ziglar still sounds GREAT on cassette!:rock:

hot-rauder
09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
i have a tape collection in the trunk... hides it when passengers find out i have tapes, and still listen to tapes in the MM....

i know im young, but i dont have cds of my cassettes so, ill stick with the cassettes, plus i love the auto-find search funtion for tapes. lol

TAKEDOWN
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Can't even remember the last time I've seen one... you got me wanting to look for my walkman cassette player!

Motorhead350
09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Yup, got some old cassettes that I still listen to occasionally, but most of the time I've got the Sirius on.

BTW, I've got a copy of "Still Crusin" and enjoy listening to it from time to time; "In My Car" is one of my favorites.

http://www.lyrics007.com/Beach%20Boys%20Lyrics/In%20My%20Car%20Lyrics.html

Yup those are my favorites on the album. I'm a sucker for Wipeout with The Fat Boys... I can't resist old school Rap. Island Girl has that 1-4-5 chord structure so I'm all for that too. I love the whole album!

sd8683
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I've never used mine, I think the last cassette I owned was "Nirvana Nevermind" lol, do they still make/sell cassettes?

Motorhead350
09-23-2008, 02:40 PM
You can still find cassettes at used record stores for literally nothing. Last time I got a cassette from a store a month ago they gave it to me. As far as making casettes I'm not sure and highly doubt it unless it's blank.

When I saw Reverend Horton Heat last fall he said if you donated to South Africa with paper money you would get a free cassette. So like I said you can get one for literally nothing, but I wonder how much of the money went to the band that night.

Aren Jay
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I listened to half of a book on tape on my recent, came back yesterday, trip to Edmonton. Ended up turning it off and just talking instead.

Ms. Denmark
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Bought some Books-on-Tape @ the library sale. Like to put one on for long trips down I-5 from Sacramento to Kettleman City with Mom in the car!;) Makes the trip to Shell Beach (Pismo) go more smoothly. There's not much on the radio on that stretch of the central valley unless you speak Spanish. Of course you could enjoy Mom's stories of her childhood on the farm in Iowa......for the millionth time.:)

doyounochef
09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
So who is going to make some mix tapes for us, i'll take one

RoyLPita
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I've used my cassette player before. The tapes still sound good.

Also like auto reverse and music search.

sd8683
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I listened to half of a book on tape on my recent, came back yesterday, trip to Edmonton. Ended up turning it off and just talking instead.

WAR and PEACE????

Black_Noise
09-23-2008, 04:51 PM
i havnt used one for 20yrs

SideshowBob
09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I barely use the radio, let alone the CD or cassette players. I have used them both on occasion and they work fine. My audiophile days are long over; most of my music appreciation is now done on my computer while wasting time online, like now.

CKMustangCobra
09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Cassette? WTF is that?

Funny. I point and laugh at them like my dad points and laughes at 8-tracks. If I even have a kid they will probably point to CDs and laugh....

TAKEDOWN
09-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I knew someone who pulled out a record and the kid says look at the big CD!

Vortex
09-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Used mine on the way back from MMVI. Still have a few homemade tapes with good stuff on them. Memory test. Side one: Dick Dale (that Pulp Fiction tune); The Monkees (Stepping Stone, Valerie), Paul Revere (Just Like Me); Four Tops (Walk Away Renee); Small Faces (Itchycoo Park, Baker's Song); Jr Walker (Im a Roadrunner); Chambers Brothers (Time); Stones (Monkey Man), Kinks (Art Lover); Roy Orbison (Dream You). Side Two. Stones (Hand of Fate, Crazy Mama); Tina Turner (Steamy Windows); Robert Palmer (Disturbing Behavior); Metallica (Nothing Else Matters); Alice Cooper (Love it to Death, Gutter Cat v. the Jets). My kind of driving music you cant get on CDs!

Leadfoot281
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
My friend used to follow the Black Crowes around the country and has nearlly every concert they ever did on cassette tape.

I have dozens of their best shows on cassette and listen to them regularly.(when I'm not listening to AM radio). My cassette deck probably has more miles on it than my CD player.

My CD changer gets used once/year on the trip to Kentucky.

J D
09-23-2008, 09:45 PM
You know, I remember when I was a kid listening to my mom play cassettes on the player in the Plymouth van. But I haven't used it in the 10 months or so I've had my MM, I probably will as I was flipping through the manual for the 3rd or 4th time and was reading about the dolby enhancements it has for the cassette, especially after I heard what the cd player was like after a summer road trip.

Also this thread needs a poll

Johns_goat
09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Back before I had a cd burner or an ipod I used to put my mp3 on tape

Marauder
09-25-2008, 07:07 AM
I still use mine. I have my old DJ mixe tapes from the early 90s when I stared DJing that I still listen to. Now, all my current mixes are on CD. I don't use the iPod in the car since it has Sirius.

JVJ
09-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I still do!

Motorhead350
09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
I still do!

What do you listen to?

JVJ
09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I listen to some taped TRANCE that I dubbed the nite before, straight from the System on XAM Radio!

tomd
09-28-2008, 07:59 AM
May of used it one time way back when I got her. Don't have a cassette player anymore because the stock radio stopped working in 2006! Replaced it with an Alpine that won't work with my multi CD player in the trunk :mad2:! LOL!

Ms. Denmark
09-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Used mine on the way back from MMVI. Still have a few homemade tapes with good stuff on them. Memory test. Side one: Dick Dale (that Pulp Fiction tune); The Monkees (Stepping Stone, Valerie), Paul Revere (Just Like Me); Four Tops (Walk Away Renee); Small Faces (Itchycoo Park, Baker's Song); Jr Walker (Im a Roadrunner); Chambers Brothers (Time); Stones (Monkey Man), Kinks (Art Lover); Roy Orbison (Dream You). Side Two. Stones (Hand of Fate, Crazy Mama); Tina Turner (Steamy Windows); Robert Palmer (Disturbing Behavior); Metallica (Nothing Else Matters); Alice Cooper (Love it to Death, Gutter Cat v. the Jets). My kind of driving music you cant get on CDs!
That's some good stuff!

knine
09-28-2008, 11:59 AM
The REAL question is: Who still uses an 8 track player? :lol:

Midnight
09-28-2008, 12:19 PM
my frank sinatra duets tapes sounds WONDERFUL in my cassette deck