PDA

View Full Version : Small engine mechanics, come on in.

justbob
09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
My neighbor just gave me a 21" honda that was used for one season 17 years ago (long story). His lawn boy started acting up on him early this year so he took this honda out of his crawl space and had a honda repair shop service it ($200.00) so he could just start using this when his died.

Well his other one finally died and wouldn't you know it this one started right up and died repeatedly. He got fed up and bought a new one.

So whats happening is its running out of fuel, like a bad filter but i took the carb off and it was like brand new in and out, checked the filter and it was new. The plug is dry as can be with some burnt light brownish marks.

The only thing i could find is when the float is slightly below level its allready shutting off the fuel and at level the fuel is totally off. I thought that it shut off fuel at above level not at level? There is no adjustment on this like the older brass floats. I'm sure this needle and float are new when it was serviced but is there a chance that they used the wrong kit maybe one with a slightly longer needle or this the normal function?

Thanks guys

Zack
09-27-2008, 06:03 AM
I can help if you post a detailed pic of the inside of the carb.
Also, is the governor gummed up and not moving? That will definitely cause the problem.

BTW, I still hold the High School record for rebuilding a small engine:
Engine off the deck, broken down
Valve job
Honing
New rings
Head resurfacing
Reassembled and running....

59 minutes :D

justbob
09-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I hold the H.S. record also but it was only assembly from a complete tear down 5 hp side shaft and running on the ground 19 min. But that was 18 years ago! Thanks Zack i'll try and post some this weekend. And this carb is the cleanest i've ever seen it might as well be right out of a box.

Local Boy
09-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Run seafoam through it...it will fix it right up!!!

Pour some in the plug hole...and let sit, and cycle the motor (pull the cord a few times)...before draining..

Works for me!!!

ALOHA