PDA

View Full Version : Triumph motorcycle ?'s

Leadfoot281
09-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Does anyone here have any experiance with late model Triumph motorcycles?

I'm looking at a new Bonneville/Scrambler right now and am considering pulling the trigger on it. Next spring would be even better for me though for a couple reasons;

1. I'll be in better shape financially, (possibly)
2. I bought a Mountain bike in October one year. I had to sit and stare at it all winter long and it nearlly drove me insane.

Unfortunately this model will be fuel injected next year and my "local" dealer is 105 miles away. It will also carry a $1,000 higher price tag. That's why I want this years carbureted model.....I think.

Is Triumphs build quality good? Would a 56hp 865cc bike even be reasonable for a new rider? Is now even a good time to get a loan or sell stock?

finster101
09-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm not too big on Triumphs.

Fuel injection is much better that a carburetor.

Good time to borrow money, lousy time to sell stock.

serb82
09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I own 1 crothchrocket, 04 suzuki sv1000s, its EFI, and been on a few carb bikes, both v-twin and inline 4's. The EFI bikes win hands now on speed, throttle response, weather conditions, and little better fuel mileage. I would not go back to a carb bike after riding an EFI bike. Its worth it to me for the extra 1k for EFI.

Leadfoot281
09-27-2008, 12:43 AM
The reason I'd like to avoid the EFI is because the dealer is 100+ miles away from me and I'd prefer to have something I can handle maintenance/repairs on myself.

doyounochef
09-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Prier to my surgery(i had back surgery) i use to ride i wanted a Ducati had no money so i borrowed my buddies bike (he had a few) all the time the honda 600 is nice and so is the suzuki gsxr they are good bike to start i they were easy to maneuver and about 127-156 a month, but thats my 2 cents good like

Hacklemerc
09-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I have an 05 Buell Lightning 989. I hardly ever get to ride it due to my horrible work schedule. It was my first bike ever. Its a bit torquey but its quick and handles nicely.

My suggestion to you is ride a couple of other bikes and the one you want and compare. I know the first couple of times I rode mine I was scared to death, the power to experience ratio was just too great. I almost laid it down twice and was successfully ran off the road by a car once.

Eric91Z
09-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I am a HUGE fan of Triumph motorcycles. I had an '01 Sprint ST that I loved! Added smaller front sproket, Triumph carbon fiber exhaust can, and had it retuned. Bike ran great and was very comfortable. Never had any problems with it and loved the sounds of the triple. I would love to have an Daytona 955i and Speed Triple. And I like the Bonneville models - although they are a little under powered - at least for my earlier riding years. Now I think it would be a great cruiser bike.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Triumph.

doyounochef
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Both the Buell and Triumph are great bike right now is the best time to buy. if you dont mind use you can beat a ducati monster best bang for your buck

finster101
09-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm a Harley guy, but I do like other bikes. I have a buddy with two Ducati's an Aprilla and a Roadglide. The ducs are fast and a ball to ride, but there is quite a bit of maint. on them, belt changes valve adjustments, unless you are comfortable doing that yourself I would avoid them. You really did not say what type of riding you intend to do. That should really influence what you buy. You also did not mention your experience level, that should also have an influence. I'm mot preaching, It's just a lot of money to spend and then say "I wish I had gotten that one instead" Been there and done that.

Leadfoot281
09-27-2008, 12:42 PM
This will be my first street bike. It has a chain drive and requires valve adjustments every 12k miles. Dealer claims oil change intervals are 6k miles.

I just don't want to tied down to a single dealership for repairs/maintenance.

I intend to use it as an alternative to the Marauder. (driving it on nice days and picking up chicks). Longest trip I might make with it will be under be 2-3 hours.

I spoke with a HD dealership and they recommended a 1540cc Wide Glide. (for a first bike!). I'm NOT paying $25/lb for any motorcycle in this lifetime. Heck, my Marauder only cost me $5.25/lb.

The suggestion to ride lots of different bikes sounds good. I'll do that.

finster101
09-27-2008, 02:28 PM
There are some nice sport-tourers out there. The Honda ST-1300 and Kawasaki Concourse both are good bikes and offer a lot of versatility. Just please, please don't buy a "metric cruiser" I loathe the Harley knock offs with a passion.

Eric91Z
09-27-2008, 04:19 PM
There are some nice sport-tourers out there. The Honda ST-1300 and Kawasaki Concourse both are good bikes and offer a lot of versatility. Just please, please don't buy a "metric cruiser" I loathe the Harley knock offs with a passion.

The Triumph Sprint ST is considered a sport tourer. I had the Triumph side hard bags, soft tank bag, and tail bag. Could easily load up enough stuff for a week trip for one or long weekend for two. Then when you get there take the bags off and carry in just like luggage (have handles on them all) and you have a VERY capable sporting bike with a great sound.

That being said, I don't know if that is what the OP is actually looking for given the bike he is looking at. I think what he is looking at can be a great bike, but if you are going to do much of any highway time make sure to get something with a windshield...

finster101
09-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks. I am not really up to speed on the Triumphs. I do know from years of experience that a bike with out bags becomes a pain in the azz using it for real transportation. My Roadglide is my daily driver.

Leadfoot281
09-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Is a windsheild all that important when wearing a helmet? Dumb question probably but all my experiance with bikes has been from beating around the farm on my '81 Yamaha 175dt 2-stroke enduro.

This is the model I'm looking at and I think a windsheild would look horrible on it.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/th_scrambler_gallery_pop_3_200 8.jpg (http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/scrambler_gallery_pop_3_2008.j pg)

Eric91Z
09-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Is a windsheild all that important when wearing a helmet? Dumb question probably but all my experiance with bikes has been from beating around the farm on my '81 Yamaha 175dt 2-stroke enduro.

This is the model I'm looking at and I think a windsheild would look horrible on it.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/th_scrambler_gallery_pop_3_200 8.jpg (http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/scrambler_gallery_pop_3_2008.j pg)

Windshield and helmet for different reasons. Again, depends on how much extended highway riding you plan on doing. My Sprint ST has a smoked low windshield that put a nice windflow right around helmet level to help hold my head up and not much buffeting.

That being said, I did a 2 hour round trip on a Harley Fat Boy on a very windy day with no helmet and it was NO FUN. Helmet would have helped a lot, but I personally like some sort of air deflection on longer trips. It is all personal taste...

finster101
09-28-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree on the winshield. You have much less fatigue after a longer ride. It keeps the air from pushing on your chest and upper body. Harley offers a lot of quick detachable shields I don't know about anyone else.

nomad
09-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Anybody seen the new HD Cross Bones in person?
Looks interesting::confused:

http://www.bikernet.com/roadtests/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1963

Vortex
09-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Im a Harley guy but love all motorcycles really. First on carb v. EFI, both have benefits and downsides. The main benefit of having a carb over EFI is that they are simple to work on and adjust and even more importantly (in this age of EPA rules making everything run way too lean and hot) you can enrich the mixture to have your bike run cooler. As for Triumphs, they are great bikes and if I wasnt so damn fat Id already own a Thruxton, I think its the best looking motorcycle on the market today. The scrambler looks really cool too with the vintage flat seat. Probably not made for real off road use but I bet great on back country dirt roads and trails. Keep us posted.

ImpalaSlayer
09-28-2008, 09:17 AM
i have had a few dirt bikes and all i can say is buy a bike that is comfortable to YOU. having a bike that dosent fit you is like having a shoe that is a size to small, it sucks! i briefly skimmed though the second page of posts and didnt see if youve ever ridden a bike at all. if youve ridden any kinda dirt bike or quad then should be able to manage the power.

Eric91Z
09-28-2008, 09:24 AM
As for Triumphs, they are great bikes and if I wasnt so damn fat Id already own a Thruxton, I think its the best looking motorcycle on the market today. The scrambler looks really cool too with the vintage flat seat. Probably not made for real off road use but I bet great on back country dirt roads and trails. Keep us posted.

I would have to totally agree on the Thruxton. GREAT looking bike.

- I have always been a big fan of their Speed Triple, too, but the lastest styling leaves a little to be desired - for me.

- I also like that they went with an underseat exhaust on the Sprint ST - something I always wanted to do with mine when I had it.

- I think the Scrambler looks kind of cool - reminds me of the dirt bikes of the '70's

- I also thought the Rocket III was kind of cool, but the lack of symetry in the look was kind of a turn off to me. But pure straight line power with decent looks.

finster101
09-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I looked at on at our local dealership. A really cool looking bike. The springer front end is not for me though.

Vortex
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
What springer front end?

Richy04
09-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy the Thruxton, more HP and a nicer bike overall. I've had older Triumphs and the new ones are like a dream come true, reliable yet they still have that original look and sound. I do believe they now use the Thruxton motor on other models, so check the website.

Twin Trophy motors (like the Bonney and more traditional models) are very reliable and easy to maintain. Getting one with carbs is no problem, just make sure you maintain the bike properly when storing it. You will love the bike, but I always recommend the models that squeeze more ponies out of an engine than the lesser ones. You never know when you will need that added power to get out of a jam.

I've been riding bikes since 1976 and my current ride is a Road King Classic with FI.

Leadfoot281
09-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I see the Thruxton has 69hp while the Scrambler has 56hp. It's just $200 more. Both are 865cc but the firing interval is different. 360 degrees for the Thruxton and 270 for the Scrambler.

Unfortunately I have 2 miles of gravel roads leading to my house that I'd have to contend with dailly and the Scrambler would probably be a better choice for that.

They are both stunning looking IMO. I should be going to the dealer in Eau Claire Wisconsin tomorrow.

Vortex
09-29-2008, 09:38 PM
post some pics if you get one, you cant go wrong with either bike. I wish I still had my Norton!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/8/2/7/Norton.jpg

Motorhead350
09-29-2008, 09:49 PM
My dad used to have one and he parked it on the second floor of the house he rented out when he was in his 20s. Him and his roomates all had bikes and rode them up the stairs on a homemade ramp. I didn't know this about my dad until this summer... my life is starting to make since. He also had something like header dumpers on it too and it would roar at police officers who were on foot with it. I wish he'd tell me all the crazy thing's he did. He only had the bike for a few months, possibly as little as three. He's now as calm as can be... maybe a little too calm.

TAKEDOWN
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Triumphs chopped up look pretty cool too!

SC Cheesehead
09-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I rode a '75 T140 Bonneville "way back when," loved it.

EFI has a lot of benefits over carbs, but then I'm kinda old school, so carbureted is okay with me.

Leadfoot281
10-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I wish I had some pics of my new bike for everyone, but....

The weather changed. Last week I had temps in the 70's. Cutting firewood in that climate is suicidal. Now it's plunged into the 50's during the day and 30's/40's at night.

Basically I need to cut, haul, and split 12-14 pick-up loads of firewood before hunting season.

I don't see myself having any free time for a few weeks. By morning I'll have new hydraulic hoses on my splitter and (after a nap) I'll off cutting wood the rest of the day.

BigCars4Ever
10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
My last Triumph was a '65 Bonnevlle 550. Parts ended up bieng a fortune for it so I sold it and got a 78 Honda Hawk (not an automatic). I would favor a more responsive and lighter bike for a beginner over a heavy twin. Keep it under 650cc cause it's cheaper to insure too.