PDA

View Full Version : Future of RWD at Ford

RCSignals
09-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Rearward March at Ford?

DaimlerChrysler’s new mid-size models will eventually be offered in both rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations. General Motors is coming to Frankfurt with a similar new platform of its own. Can Ford be far behind? Maybe yes, maybe no. “We have to develop a global rear-drive architecture and we’re seriously looking at that,” said Thursfield, hinting such a product line would eventually become available in the U.S., as well as Europe and other parts of the world. But a well-placed source later suggested that comment wasn’t quite what it might seem, and that it’s less than certain Ford would bring rear-drive back to the States in any significant numbers. That seems to underscore an ongoing debate inside the company. There are more than a few in high levels who believe there might even be room for a modern version of the long-running, rear-drive platform now used for the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marquis and Lincoln Town Car. But such studies have routinely been given the thumbs-down. One thing definitely is certain, stressed Thursfield: there’s no place for a Crown Vic outside the U.S. “I don’t think you can have a (global) body-on-frame platform.”

Source: The Car Connection

Interesting comment about the body on frame car platform (our Marauders)
Also interesting the comment about no place for it outside the US, since they sell CVs and GMs in Mexico, the Middle East, and CVPIs to those and other countries.

Petrograde
09-09-2003, 07:40 AM
yeah,.. I got back from Kuwait a few months ago. You should see all the Panthers there, I was suprised.

Marauder57
09-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Personally if you ask me....as long as there are cops....there is need for a CV type car....not neccessarily in London or places with really small roads....but it is pretty functional....I think maybe they should have said "profitable" business outside the US.... ;)

Petrograde
09-09-2003, 08:22 AM
To bad Germany doesn't seem to care for our American cars. Well, except for Corvettes and Harleys. They seem to love those.

I wish I had my MM when I was stationed there!:D Love that Autobahn!

RF Overlord
09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Hell, even the MOSCOW (Russia) police use CVPIs...!

...or at least they were as of a couple of years ago...

the fat bastid
09-09-2003, 02:50 PM
"I don’t think you can have a (global) body-on-frame platform."

why not?

i think i acutally like body on frame better then unibody.

its too bad a few people have to make choices that effect so many.

p.s: i hate global platforms