PDA

View Full Version : Which Hi Def Tee Vee to get?

Mike Poore
09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
We saw the Penn State game at a friend's house Saturday evening. It was a 50" High Definination with astonishing clarity and detail, not to mention the brilliant color(s). I want one, but am very confused about what the print ad's are saying, and wondering about the huge differences in price, although price is not an issue.

What should we get? :dunno:

sd8683
09-30-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a 42 inch vizio gallevia LCD 1080p HD TV, and I absolutely LOVE it, and threir pretty cheap compared to all the big name brands, IMO it looks just as good as any other brand.

merc
09-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Pioneer KURO - They sell them at Costco in my area. Plasma is great for Sports.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors

Put a credit card on it and don't look back.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11295722&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341|3314|74670&N=4018655&Mo=3&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74670&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=79*2341*3314*74670*&topnav=

Vortech347
09-30-2008, 12:58 PM
This may end up worse than "who's tune to get"

I've got a Sammy 1080P DLP 61".

Wife goes before it does...

LordVader
09-30-2008, 01:01 PM
56" JVC...really great picture from all angles.

Motorhead350
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Mike I thought you didn't watch television except for the superbowl.

MM03MOK
09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
LCD
Along with plasma, LCD (liquid crystal display) technology represents a revolution in television design: the truly flat TV. LCD flat-panel displays typically measure around 4" in depth, and like plasma they're lightweight enough to be mounted on a wall (although they also look mighty sleek on the artsy stands designed to display them on tabletops). On a flat-panel LCD screen, a backlight streams high-intensity white light (provided by a series of fluorescent tubes behind the screen surface) through tiny cells filled with a liquid crystal material. [TVs with LED technology (newer backlighting systems) will be launching soon, though at this time CNET has not evaluated them]. Each pixel has three such cells — one each for red, green and blue components of the signal. When an electrical charge is applied to the liquid crystals, their molecular structure shifts, modulating the intensity of the light that passes through to the screen. Unlike plasmas, which start at 37 inches and go up from there, LCD TVs are available in smaller sizes too, from 5" handheld models to widescreen HDTV showpieces of 50" or more.

Strengths
Slim, sleek and lightweight, LCDs can be placed or mounted almost anywhere in the home, including places where you might not have considered placing a TV — and, in fact, can easily be transported from room to room (with the exception of the largest screen sizes) for additional flexibility. LCD technology produces an exceptionally bright picture and unlike plasma, the matte screens of LCD sets don't reflect much ambient room light, so they're generally better suited to very bright rooms. LCD TVs can make very good big-screen computer monitors since many have dedicated PC inputs and higher resolution than most plasmas. At screen sizes 50 inches or smaller and at normal seating distances, higher resolutions like 1080p make more of a difference with computer sources than with high-def or DVD, where they're often nearly imperceptible.

Considerations
Due to the unintended leakage of some light to the display, many LCDs cannot produce as deep of a shade of black as most plasmas. On the other hand, some newer LCD models with adjustable backlights can actually produce deeper blacks than plasmas. LCD backlights can also cause less-even uniformity than plasma, leading to slightly brighter corners or sides, for example, than the middle of the screen. Despite LCD makers publishing numbers touting wider viewing angles, the picture still washes out or discolors to varying degrees when seen from extreme off-angles, especially in darker scenes. Early iterations of the technology evinced slight but noticeable blurring or smearing of fast-moving images, but most newer models have greatly improved performance and don't suffer visible blurring.

The bottom line
When it comes to flat-panel HDTV displays, the choice between LCD and plasma is a matter of personal taste, size and cost. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and individual models within the same technology can exhibit very different performance. Consider the information, but most importantly, visit a store to compare displays and decide which you prefer.

Plasma
Plasma was the first flat-panel technology in widespread use and it's still going strong today. Plasma displays function differently from any other TV technology in that they actually produce light independently at each pixel on the screen. A plasma "screen" is actually a dense network of individual cells, three for each pixel of the display (coated with red, green and blue phosphors, respectively). Each cell is impregnated with a rare-gas mixture and connected to an individual electrode. When the electrode for a given cell is charged with an electrical voltage, the gas is converted to a plasma state and emits a burst of ultraviolet light; this in turn causes the phosphors to react and produce bright visible light at the pixel level. By varying the voltage and intensity of the electrical charge, the proper combination of red, green and blue light is produced in each pixel to combine into a composite image. Plasma TVs are big — they're available in sizes from 37" up to more than 60".

Strengths
Obviously, plasma TVs are desirable for their sleek form factor — about 4" deep and wall-mountable, they're undeniably sexy. Plasmas can get just as bright as flat-panel LCDs, and many produce superb color accuracy and saturation along with a deep shade of black. Compared to LCD, plasmas' light output and color are typically more uniform across the entire screen surface, and plasma screens can be viewed from any point off-axis without a detrimental effect to the picture quality. Like LCD and unlike projection, plasma's picture is always geometrically perfect from edge to edge and corner to corner, with no bowed lines or distortion.

Considerations
In certain situations plasma TVs can fall prey to "burn-in," where the faint outline of the static section of an image left on-screen for hours at a time, such letterbox bars or bars to either side of a narrow picture, remains visible after the image changes. Plasmas are most vulnerable to burn-in during the first couple months (100-200 hours on-time) of ownership, during which time it's best to avoid static image elements for long periods, say 6 straight hours or more. After that initial phase plasma phosphors become broken in, burn-in occurs much less frequently, and plasmas become just as reliable as other TV technologies for just about any normal use, including heavy video gaming.

The glass screens of plasmas typically reflect more ambient room light than the matte plastic screens of flat-panel LCDs, so you may occasionally see yourself reflected in the screen during a dark scene, for example. If you're bothered by this issue and can't control room lighting at all, you may opt for a plasma with an anti-glare screen or just go with an LCD.

The bottom line
Choosing between flat-panel LCD and plasma is difficult today, when the two TV technologies seem to have more similarities than differences. The best way to decide is to weigh the differences that do exist and visit a store to see in person how much they matter to you.

Vortech347
09-30-2008, 01:34 PM
No DLP review?

MM03MOK
09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Front Projectors & Screens
A home theater projector can deliver a bigger picture than any other kind of display, and can often cost less than traditional bigscreen HDTVs. Projectors typically use the same kinds of technologies as microdisplay rear-projection sets (DLP projection, LCD projection and LCOS projection), relying on thumbnail-size semiconductors to generate the image, which is then enlarged and cast onto a screen through the projector's lens. You can even use a patch of white wall instead of a specialized screen, although screens usually give better results because they're more uniform and can usually reflect more light than standard white paint.

Strengths
Size is what projectors are all about. The diagonal size of the projected image can exceed 200 inches with some projectors, although most in-home users are content with half that amount or less — in part because bigger images are necessarily dimmer. Such large screen sizes are ideal for showing the benefits of the highest-quality HDTV sources, and projectors typically allow greater control over picture parameters than most TVs. Many projectors are also portable, so you can move them from room to room or take them on the road.

Considerations
One reason projectors aren't more popular is because they require a dark room — preferably pitch black, like a movie theater — for best results. That's because room lighting washes out the relatively dim projected image much more easily than the relatively bright image produced by a self-contained TV. It also helps to have a pretty big room, mainly because you'll want to sit further away from the big projected image than you would from a smaller TV. Projectors also require a good deal of set-up. You'll need to properly align the projector with the screen or wall, adjust focus and zoom, and make sure to clear space between the lens and the screen for the path of projected light to travel unimpeded. For these reasons, people who use projectors often get them ceiling-mounted or otherwise permanently installed. Longer and therefore more expensive cables can be a prerequisite because projectors are often installed far from the source components (DVD player, game console, etc). Like microdisplay rear-projectors, the bulbs in front projectors need to be periodically replaced. Depending on technology, projectors also exhibit the same sorts of picture quality characteristics as their microdisplay equivalents. In addition, while the large screen size is great for high-quality sources, it can expose flaws in low-quality sources that would remain hidden on smaller screens. Finally, projectors usually lack tuners, speakers and many other typical TV features, such as picture-in-picture. They require an external tuner, like a cable or satellite box, to display TV programming, and an external sound system.

The bottom line
Front projection TVs are very different from normal TVs, and most FPTV owners also have one or more standard TVs that they use for everyday viewing. That said, being able to watch a movie, a major sporting event, or even play a video game on a gigantic screen can create a "special event" out of whatever you watch. If you have the right room and are willing to invest the effort at setup and installation, a home theater projector can be the most impressive HDTV of all.

chicago_cop
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
We saw the Penn State game at a friend's house Saturday evening. It was a 50" High Definination with astonishing clarity and detail, not to mention the brilliant color(s). I want one, but am very confused about what the print ad's are saying, and wondering about the huge differences in price, although price is not an issue.

Look at a "SANYO" and compair.

Bluerauder
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Get one like your friend has .... you already know that you like that one after an extended test period. :D

Go to "Best Buy" and walk the HDTV wall until you see one in the size, quality, style and price that you like. :P Hang out all day next Saturday and watch some college games to compare. ;)

fastblackmerc
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
72" Samsung DLP

During a football game it's like your in the huddle!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/gifts/IM000055.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/gifts/IM000068.jpg

Vortech347
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Okay I'm hungry now... Milk shakes sound good.

Mike Poore
09-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Mike I thought you didn't watch television except for the superbowl.

Pro and College Football, yep, that's what I said, and other than that, the tee vee stays off. And, yes, I'd get one just to watch the super bowl.

So, what's your point?

RF Overlord
09-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Mike, the difference between HD pictures on different brands of televisions is much less than the difference between analogue pictures. Obviously there is a difference between LCD, plasma, and DLP but once you've settled that point, compare the analogue pictures and buy the one that looks the best. The HD picture will be amazing no matter what TV you buy.

Vortech347
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Be careful. Sometimes TV shops will turn the picture down on the cheaper ones to make the more expensive ones look better.

TAKEDOWN
09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Be careful. Sometimes TV shops will turn the picture down on the cheaper ones to make the more expensive ones look better.

Wow, scumbags!

Mike Poore
09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks Mary that was the info I'm looking for. :lovies:

And Mark, when I looked 'em up on Sam's. the 60" Pioneer Kuro is the first one they show. It seems, though, there's a big price difference between LCD and Plasma, and from what I'm reading, not much difference in picture quality; but there's lots to learn.

I'll take Charlie's advice and take a folding chair and some lunch for a visit to Best Buy. Meanwhile I'll see myfriend, Mark at the shoot, Thursday, and ask lots of questions.

Thanks everyone :)

Hacklemerc
09-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I love my 56" Sharp Aquos. LOVE it. Clean picture, clear color. Not cheap tho. Wish I would have bought a cheaper TV.

magindat
09-30-2008, 04:42 PM
There's only ONE answer to this question:

PIONEER from John Kuhn.

I have a Pioneer 43" plasma from before I knew John. Good luck prying it from my cold dead hands.

Aren Jay
09-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Panasonic has some great Plasma sets. Sony does good in the higher mid range LCD's Most all Samsungs or wonderful and if you are looking for a smaller set Acer makes an amazing 24".

If price is not a problem, and you want a big set, then either a 58" Plasma Panasonic or a 60-70" Sony LCD or a Front projector, see projectorcentral.com for a listing on just about every projector available. I personally have been having huge problems with Sony projectors of late, my 5th one in two years just died. Epson or Panasonic are better bets, imho. If you go Front Projector get one with a user replaceable bulb. Projectors are only good for dark rooms. 84-120" screens are common and quite cheap, anything over 150" and you will need a special room as the built for it as the height of the screen will likely exceed the height of your room. Let alone the width etc...

There are many cheap

TooManyFords
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I have a Sony Bravia 42" 1080p and when I plug my PC into it, I get a true 1920x1080 computer monitor I can read from the Lay-z-boy!

Two Thumbs Up!

my_rodder
09-30-2008, 06:00 PM
When I got mine, The salesman told me plasma has a glass face, lcd does not. I have a lot of windows in my livingroom so I got lcd. Samsung 42 1080i or p cant remember been a few months. I was a salesmans dream walked and was there for 10 min and walked out with a new tv and a lot less cash, I had done the standing for hours and just didnt want to part with the money, I dont regreat it a bit:D. I think Ill get one for my bedroom next.

Bluerauder
09-30-2008, 06:14 PM
So, Mike .... are you gonna have this HDTV set up for us when we come up for the Gettysburg trip? Sunday afternoon football games at Mike's house for the CAM gang. Seating for 12-15 should be enough :2thumbs: Alriiiiight !!! ;)

SHERIFF
09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I just bought an LG 42" LCD 1080 for my basement rec room. Circuit City has them on sale this week. Excellent product.

Model # 42LG50......... excellent buy at $1,099 http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=206150&om_keycode=85

larryo340
09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
^^^^^^+1 They like to crank up the colors and brightness
Before you buy one check the settings on the TV and reset them to factory specs first.

Pioneer KURO - They sell them at Costco in my area. Plasma is great for Sports.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors

Put a credit card on it and don't look back.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11295722&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341|3314|74670&N=4018655&Mo=3&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74670&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=79*2341*3314*74670*&topnav=

I agree that plasma is better for sports, very fast response rate. A friend has a top of the line 50" Pioneer Plasma. I would highly recommend installing a dedicated outlet to power a plasma, they are power thirsty. The only negative with plasma is if you have a window or light in front of TV the reflection is not pleasant.

duhtroll
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
They will adjust the settings to favor whichever ones they have been told to sell. Not just the cheaper ones or the more expensive ones. Best Buy for example will crank up the Insignia (their brand) to sell more of them. Or whatever they have surplus of or have a good markup on.

^^^^^^+1 They like to crank up the colors and brightness
Before you buy one check the settings on the TV and reset them to factory specs first.

I agree that plasma is better for sports, very fast response rate. A friend has a top of the line 50" Pioneer Plasma. I would highly recommend installing a dedicated outlet to power a plasma, they are power thirsty. The only negative with plasma is if you have a window or light in front of TV the reflection is not pleasant.

freakstatus
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Not to state the obvious but please ensure you have a Hi-Def source eg. cable or satellite box. Theres nothing worse than an analogue signal on a hi-def LCD or plasma screen.

I have a 46" Sharp Aquos....awesome.

Peace2Peep
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
NBC shopping channel has the Mitsubishi 73" DLP for $2500 and it includes the stand!...sorry...updated price went up...on sale just last weekend only, CRAP!

Motorhead350
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Pro and College Football, yep, that's what I said, and other than that, the tee vee stays off. And, yes, I'd get one just to watch the super bowl.

So, what's your point?

Oh now it's Pro and College football. I thought it was just the Superbowl. "Guess who wasn't watching the bridge collapse?" If you say you don't watch tv, than what is the point of owning one? But I guess you do watch tv after all. Just an observation. I sold mine a few months ago... I should have asked for more, oh well.

Mike Poore
10-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Oh now it's Pro and College football. I thought it was just the Super bowl. "Guess who wasn't watching the bridge collapse?"

Guess who wasn't listening. I said the TeeVee got turned off after the super bowl, and had not been turned on since. When you pay attention to what the prof says you understand the entire story. You see, the Super bowl is after the college football season and it's interminable bowl games, so it's not incongruous that college football could have been included in my viewing schedule.

So, young man, you fail ....off to the corner with you..take the dictionary along ...:grad:

MM03MOK
10-01-2008, 04:21 AM
See if you can find out what kind of outputs the cable company has on their HD set top boxes.....HDMI, DVI? I'm sure they have component outputs. Not all TVs have all three outputs.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

johnjamis
10-01-2008, 05:10 AM
I only saw one comment on picture update rate. For any fast motion it is very important along with any screen artifacts(ghost-like boxes associated with any fast motion and fuzzy edges on objects or lines). These artifacts are very distracting especially for football games.

Mike Poore
10-01-2008, 06:22 AM
See if you can find out what kind of outputs the cable company has on their HD set top boxes.....HDMI, DVI? I'm sure they have component outputs. Not all TVs have all three outputs.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

Thanks, Mary. Um, because of their outrageous behavior, I told our favorite cable company to take a hike, and went back to my DSS system, but kept the cable internet. I'll ask the folks at DTV if I need to do any new stuff to hook up an HD TeeVee.

And thanks, everyone, the information and thoughts/experiences are very helpful. :)

Vortex
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM
I own a Phillips 42" LCD. It is a piece of junk. Get a Sharp or a Sony. I will never buy anything Philips again.