PDA

View Full Version : World Food Programme

Paul
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Just saw a rep from this humanitarian agency on David Letterman. They say that for $3 billion a year they could guarantee 1 meal a day for every child on the planet. Letterman pointed out that last year's Wallstreet bonuses were $36 billion. It moved me. I donated. Check it out at www.wfp.org/letterman

Bluerauder
10-01-2008, 04:37 AM
Just saw a rep from this humanitarian agency on David Letterman. They say that for $3 billion a year they could guarantee 1 meal a day for every child on the planet. Letterman pointed out that last year's Wallstreet bonuses were $36 billion. It moved me. I donated. Check it out at www.wfp.org/letterman
Sounds good; but it is not very likely. Do the math .... assuming children make up about half the world's population, that's 3 Billion kids.

Administrative and transportation/movement and management of the program will take $1 Billion (minimum) off the top. That leaves about $2 Billion for direct food costs.

3 Billion kids * 365 days per year = 1.095 Trillion meals

$2 Billion/1.095 Trillion meals = $0.0018 per meal.

Anybody know where you can buy 5 meals for a penny?? I remember when you could get two pieces of bubblegum for a penny (that's $0.0050 per piece of gum). Nice ... but you can't live on it. And that price was 50 years ago.

Let's assume that my math was off and the assumptions were incorrect. So multiply my expectations by 100 just for the heck of it.

What kind of meal can you buy for 18 cents?

The program and the guarantee just don't add up. But it does sound nice and is an admirable objective..... but I suspect that the true cost is much, much more than $3 Billion.

BTW -- I hope your donation gets put to good use. If one kid gets fed .... That's a good thing. :up:

Unfortunately, I think a large part of your donation will ending up helping with the mortgage payment on the Director of WFP $4 Million home in the Hamptons, his yacht and Bentley. :o

Haggis
10-01-2008, 07:51 AM
That overpaid liberal queer Letterman makes enough money a year including his bonuses let him donate some money to the starving children. And he can get some of his commie celeberity friends help out with the donations, they should be able to scrape up $3 billion a year with no problem.

Blk Mamba
10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
As I've been involved with other food banks, like feed the children, (through my church) the way some work is that your contribution is primarily for the management, and transportation, the food is all donated by Beatrice, and other large corps. (for the tax incentives). A good idea to feed the world poor, but once again I'd like to feed the poor in our country first. Children are starving in the Appalachian region, and we need to solve that problem.

fastblackmerc
10-01-2008, 09:21 AM
a good idea to feed the world poor, but once again i'd like to feed the poor in our country first. Children are starving in the appalachian region, and we need to solve that problem.

amen!!!!!!