PDA

View Full Version : 98 Continental. Worth time/money?

RedMerc04
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I have recently inherited my moms 98 continental. It has 155K on the clock and a front end problem. It squeaks and moans like it has shot tie rod ends and it also has a loud humming noise that becomes more intense under hard acceleration and while making a right turn. When the car is being turned to the left it lessens dramatically. I really have no idea what this is; Im guessing wheel bearing or CV joint? Other than this the car runs great eventhough the dealer my mom brought it to for the service quoted her a $7,000 repair and deamed the car unsafe. They never actually specified what was wrong after having the car for three weeks :mad2:. I really think that the dealer is full of *****. That being said, what do you guys think might be wrong and is it worth fixing. I think that it would make a really decent winter beater and keep the MM from the salt...

Blk Mamba
10-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I think you are probably right. Depends on how much you want to sink in it. Does it have the Teksid 4.6?

fastblackmerc
10-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Get a 2nd opinion. Someone you trust.

davidholland
10-01-2008, 10:19 AM
It probably sounds worse than it is. If i saves the MM its worth the work and if you got it for free you should be okay sinking a few bucks into it.

RedMerc04
10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I think you are probably right. Depends on how much you want to sink in it. Does it have the Teksid 4.6?
I dont know if its a teksid 4.6.. I know that they used them in the mark VIII's of those years but im unsure b/c the continetal has a lesser horsepower rating of 260 Vs. Either 280 or 290(lsc). Runs great either way..

offroadkarter
10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Teskid blocks were in the cobras, i dont think they were in anything else.

As a DD/winter car, i would. Keep the miles off your DTR since it is at 50k ish

Breadfan
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
No teksids were also in other applications such as the MK VIII

The continental on the other hand is a transverse engine, so it's mounts may be different. I think the block is slightly different due to this.

My first guess would be CV joint. If they've never been done, it's probably way overdue. If it snaps, it'll cause issues such as wrecking anything nearby when it flops around and also the tire will not have much holding it to the car...

CV joints usually aren't too hard to do, depends on the car, and I haven't looked closely at a continentals yet.

Yes bearings are also a possbility. Either way it sounds like hundreds in parts not thousands.

I would put the trans as the weak point too, if that shifts good it may be worth it.

RedMerc04
10-01-2008, 08:06 PM
No teksids were also in other applications such as the MK VIII

The continental on the other hand is a transverse engine, so it's mounts may be different. I think the block is slightly different due to this.

My first guess would be CV joint. If they've never been done, it's probably way overdue. If it snaps, it'll cause issues such as wrecking anything nearby when it flops around and also the tire will not have much holding it to the car...

CV joints usually aren't too hard to do, depends on the car, and I haven't looked closely at a continentals yet.

Yes bearings are also a possbility. Either way it sounds like hundreds in parts not thousands.

I would put the trans as the weak point too, if that shifts good it may be worth it.
Yea, the trans shifts great. I really didnt think the taurus trans would hold this long but my mom really didnt beat this car up at all. It would suprise me if she ever went above 65 mph with it. Ill take it to a shop as soon as I allocate some extra cash for it. It just kinda stinks that between paying for school and now helping my parents out with a down payment for her new car I am kinda strapped but hey with a little work Ill have two nice rides.

Bradley G
10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Be careful, those Contis' can be troublesome.
I had one , a 1996 past 60K it got sick quite often.
Parts are rediculously expensive.
I would fix it and off it.

larryo340
10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
The 98's were much improved over the 95 and 96 models. It most likely is the left front wheel bearing that's making the noise when turning right, that's when more load is on the left front. I would be very surpised if it is a CV joint, but I would check to make sure the boots are not torn. As far as the squeaking or moaning, could be tie-rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings, struts. With 155k it could be multiple parts. The tie-rods or ball joints would be the ones to make the car unsafe to drive. Bring it to another shop for a second opinion.

RedMerc04
10-02-2008, 08:35 PM
The 98's were much improved over the 95 and 96 models. It most likely is the left front wheel bearing that's making the noise when turning right, that's when more load is on the left front. I would be very surpised if it is a CV joint, but I would check to make sure the boots are not torn. As far as the squeaking or moaning, could be tie-rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings, struts. With 155k it could be multiple parts. The tie-rods or ball joints would be the ones to make the car unsafe to drive. Bring it to another shop for a second opinion.
Yeah, I dont think that the CV joints are a problem because there is no clicking noise but Ill see in a week or two. On the positive side the car does have less than 10K miles on the tires, brakes, waterpump and battery. I just want to get it running good to prove that lying dealer wrong. I was talking to my mom and they told her that they would take the car off of her hands and get her a deal on an 06 GM for 17,000 bucks. She didnt mention the mileage on the GM but it sounds like pure BS to me.

larryo340
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I dont think that the CV joints are a problem because there is no clicking noise but Ill see in a week or two. On the positive side the car does have less than 10K miles on the tires, brakes, waterpump and battery. I just want to get it running good to prove that lying dealer wrong. I was talking to my mom and they told her that they would take the car off of her hands and get her a deal on an 06 GM for 17,000 bucks. She didnt mention the mileage on the GM but it sounds like pure BS to me.

17K for an '06 GM is toooooo much $$$

Check these prices for '08s on ebay
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks___grand-marquis_W0QQMake247a0eZMercury 9c0e86f3QQModelYearf0c65f14Z20 081774c6QQ_nkwZgrandQ20marquis QQCondition441b8cfbZUsed285fdd QQ_catZ6001QQ_flnZ1QQ_pcatsZ60 00QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec 0Q2em1?_trksid=p4506.c0.m1

RedMerc04
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
17K for an '06 GM is toooooo much $$$

Check these prices for '08s on ebay
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks___grand-marquis_W0QQMake247a0eZMercury 9c0e86f3QQModelYearf0c65f14Z20 081774c6QQ_nkwZgrandQ20marquis QQCondition441b8cfbZUsed285fdd QQ_catZ6001QQ_flnZ1QQ_pcatsZ60 00QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec 0Q2em1?_trksid=p4506.c0.m1
Yea, my mother and father agreed. They wound up with a Navy blue 06 Cadillac DTS. Its a really nice ride!