PDA

View Full Version : How should I take this engine out?

Motorhead350
10-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Ok Ok Ok, I've had more than a few posts about Chevys and I ask on other sites too, but this one still seems to be the best. I have posted this on CK5.Com too.

I think I am going to yank a 305 out of another K5 Blazer. The problem is how? These trucks sit up pretty high and I barely got the engine out of my 65 C-10. How am I going to get this engine out with an engine lift? I was thinking this...

I could drain the tire pressure or remove the front wheels once everything is unbolted. Leave just enough space to get the wheels of the engine lift to get under the truck and wha la! But I am not sure this will work.

The owner (same guy who sold me the donor body) told me we could have to take apart the whole front end of the truck... grill, bumper, exc. I think that might take way too much time, but I am not sure.

I've had the engine pulled twice on my K5, but it was done at places with car lifts and I wasn't around to see how they did it. I have a friend that has a car lift in his garage, but I would really prefer pulling the engine out at the owners house if possible.

What should I do here?

Joe Walsh
10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok Ok Ok, I've had more than a few posts about Chevys and I ask on other sites too, but this one still seems to be the best. I have posted this on CK5.Com too.

I think I am going to yank a 305 out of another K5 Blazer. The problem is how? These trucks sit up pretty high and I barely got the engine out of my 65 C-10. How am I going to get this engine out with an engine lift? I was thinking this...

I could drain the tire pressure or remove the front wheels once everything is unbolted. Leave just enough space to get the wheels of the engine lift to get under the truck and wha la! But I am not sure this will work.

The owner (same guy who sold me the donor body) told me we could have to take apart the whole front end of the truck... grill, bumper, exc. I think that might take way too much time, but I am not sure.

I've had the engine pulled twice on my K5, but it was done at places with car lifts and I wasn't around to see how they did it. I have a friend that has a car lift in his garage, but I would really prefer pulling the engine out at the owners house if possible.

What should I do here?

You get a better response from this site because almost all the members are very good people who are VERY tolerant of incessant posters.
I'd imagine that somehow you wore out your welcome on the Blazer sites...:rolleyes:
Imagine the response if you posted countless questions about your Blazer on ANY of the Mustang websites...:shake:

Motorhead350
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
You get a better response from this site because almost all the members are very good people who are VERY tolerant of incessant posters.
I'd imagine that somehow you wore out your welcome on the Blazer sites...:rolleyes:
Imagine the response if you posted countless questions about your Blazer on ANY of the Mustang websites...:shake:

So no advice?

I didn't ware out anything on there. All they care about is suspension B.S. so it's not in regards to why a transfer case is busted or how many extra inches they need on a driveshaft because of a 3 inch lift, the responces will be minimal. :alone:

imorb1994
10-02-2008, 02:42 PM
disasemble the front end if it has to be done there that is your best bet, also a lot more room to work

justbob
10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Extend the cherry picker.

Motorhead350
10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Joe check it out for youself....

http://coloradok5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Pretty much just suspension and stuff under the truck...

Motorhead350
10-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Extend the cherry picker.

How do I do that?

KillJoy
10-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Pay someone to do it.

:up:

.....that way it will be done right!

:eek:

KillJoy

offroadkarter
10-02-2008, 02:57 PM

you REALLY dont like dom do you :confused:

You could try taking the wheels off and having it just above the ground, might be able to get it out.

fastblackmerc
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
If you have to ask you shouldn't do the job.

Motorhead350
10-02-2008, 03:08 PM
If you have to ask you shouldn't do the job.

How would I learn?

I did it once with a 65 Chevy without even a shopbook or asking on-line. I'm sure this is just as easy, clearance is the problem.

fastblackmerc
10-02-2008, 03:16 PM
How would I learn?

I did it once with a 65 Chevy without even a shopbook or asking on-line. I'm sure this is just as easy, clearance is the problem.

Learn by trial and error.

Joe Walsh
10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
you REALLY dont like dom do you :confused:

Not true!
I met Dom in Detroit at MV3 and thought that he was a decent guy.
We all hung out in front of the BK on Woodward and watched the rides go by.

I also think that he has a great outlook on life and seems to 'roll with the punches'.

I just wish that he'd stop posting about everything that pops into his head.
This is not www.Dom'sDailyDiary.net

O's Fan Rich
10-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Not true!

I also think that he has a great outlook on life and seems to 'roll with the punches'.

This is not www.Dom'sDailyDiary.net

Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at www.dom'sdailydiary.net.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of "www.mozilla.org")
* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

O's Fan Rich
10-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Pull the front end off if you need to.
Got a Gantry Crane?
Pulled a few motors using a metal tube tri-pod that we hung steer and hogs from for butchering, too.

Motorhead350
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Learn by trial and error.

That truly is the best way, but I'd like an idea first. ;)

Dragcity
10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Come on you guys. Haven't any of you ever used a tree, a chain and a winch?

Find yourself a reall big, sturdy tree with a large branch that is more than 10 feet high. Wrap a heavy chain around said limb and secure appropriately. Attach winch to chain and other end to lifting apperatus on engine.

Must have done this a hundred times in my youth....

Just pick the right tree and limb.... Safety first.

Local Boy
10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Joe...I used to do that with my Mango tree...Ahhh the memories...

Since then the process changed a little...

It just takes some imagination...

Just take off the all the tires...put your rear end on the lowest setting for your stands...put your jack under the front pumkin and lower the front end down to where the jack sits on the ground...At this point the axle should be sitting about 4 inches off the ground with the rotors about 1 inch off the ground...

Your cherry picker should be able to reach over...

Good luck...

ALOHA

Leadfoot281
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Come on you guys. Haven't any of you ever used a tree, a chain and a winch?

Find yourself a reall big, sturdy tree with a large branch that is more than 10 feet high. Wrap a heavy chain around said limb and secure appropriately. Attach winch to chain and other end to lifting apperatus on engine.

Must have done this a hundred times in my youth....

Just pick the right tree and limb.... Safety first.

+1!!

I used a loader tractor to do my first engine swap. It works but I won't recomend it. Too clumsy and you risk slamming the motor through your windsheild.

n00bkiller944
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I would say take the front tires off and place jack stands as low and as far forward on the truck as your can. Hopefully the front axle will be very close to the ground and you will be able to use the lift! Tell me how it goes and take pics

offroadkarter
10-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Not true!

This is not www.Dom'sDailyDiary.net (http://www.Dom%27sDailyDiary.net)

Can we agree that he needs his own forum to post all this humorous crap in? :lol:

larryo340
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
When I rebuilt the engine in my Bronco with a 4" lift and 33" tires I took out the front tire valve cores, front bumper, grill, and radiator support. Not only did it give me alot more room, but it let me barely have to lift the engine much to be able to pull it out by myself (no volunteers that day)
http://lh4.ggpht.com/larryo340/SBY-UV3UcVI/AAAAAAAADqE/KSV-a26mJYI/s640/Bronco1.JPG

bigmerc2003
10-04-2008, 06:39 AM
That truly is the best way, but I'd like an idea first. ;)

I agree with you Dom, trial by error is the way we have all learned. the easiest way i have found to pull a motor from a truck especially a 4x4 that is higher than normal is to pull the front end off all in one piece. i am more of a ford guy but i did pull an engine out of a 1500 chevy truck once. unbolt the fenders from the cab and cowl, unbolt the wheel wells from the frame, unbolt the two core support bolt (these are a bear, you might want to cut them off and put in new ones they rust real bad) unbolt all the trans lines to the radiator/cooler, take off the hoses, disconnect the a/c and get someone with you to lift the whole nose off at once.

on the flip side if you are junking the other truck get a good saws-all and cut striaght throught the core support and grill and make yourself a nice sided opening to pull the motor through