PDA

View Full Version : Push button shifter??? How do I change this?

Motorhead350
10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Last winter when I pulled the seat out of the 65 Chevy it caught the floor shifter and it was one of those that you had to put a button in to get it to shift. The shifter (grip) disappeared when I took the seat out and someone sole the seat out of my ally before I could put it by the dumpster. :eek:

So now I have a stick, but I have to move these metal parts from the left to the right... like flip them over 180 degrees. I want to just put in a normal shifter without the button, but how do I put in a grip without the button? I need to find a way to keep the "button" in all the time. Can I have someone weld it moved to the right or something? Soon as I do that I can get a normal grip or an 8 ball and just put it on top and call it a day.

Do you understand what I mean? Does anyone have a suggestion?

BTW I just put payment on a 305 with a 350 tranny so it'll be on the road in a week or so... then we have to do the wiring. I can't wait to get it on the road by Halloween!!! :D:D:D

a_d_a_m
10-09-2008, 07:20 AM
why not swap out the whole shift mechanism for a B&M unit?

Motorhead350
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
why not swap out the whole shift mechanism for a B&M unit?

Don't wanna spend the money. All I need is a way to keep that metal in the same place and I don't think I need to spend $200 to do it, I just need an idea.

justbob
10-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Five feet of 3/8" by 1" flat stock steal and a 8 ball knob. Rat Fink it.

justbob
10-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Or you could always order the part online thru the shifter company.

Motorhead350
10-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Five feet of 3/8" by 1" flat stock steal and a 8 ball knob. Rat Fink it.

Bob can you help me with that too?

I'll have my 305 arrive anyday now so whenever you are free let's get the wiring done and pick up some pumpkins with that pick em up truck after!