PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance

ctrlraven
10-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Yeah pretty much.

So I was on my way to my in-laws last night and had to stop off at the gas station (21.8 mpg yay me) made a U-turn and then pulled into the gas station at the pumps. I get out and hear this really loud hissing sound. Thinking "oh crap that patch isn't holding" (had a screw taken out Friday, but it wasn't leaking or anything). So I find the patch area and it's fine, it sounds like the air is maybe coming from the beed. Maybe I took the U-turn too hard but I know I didn't.

So I started to feel around on the tire and I found it, some big azz nail. It was loose in the tire and I could wiggle it around but not pull it out. Needless to say my tire was dead flat in under a 1 min. I grabbed a few gallons of gas and crawled over to the air pump to blow the tire back up. Called my wife to let her know what was going on cause...... I didn't have my spare with me like normal cause it's a full size stock 235/55 and I run 255/55 on the rear. Lucky enough my father in-law was at the gas station just pulling out and followed me over to the parking lot next to the gas station. THANK GOD I had my torque wrench still with me, took the jack out of my father in-laws car got the tire off and took it to Pep Boys to get it patched since they were the only place that was open at 7pm.

Moral of the story don't be ignorant to thing. I thought I was cool since my last set of rear tires had a combination of 11 nails/screws in them and they NEVER went flat nor even got past the steel belts of the tire. But this time, some how I ran over a nail and it went HEAD FIRST into the tire which is the reason why I could wiggle it around but not pull it out. The guy at Pep Boys said he has only see that happen 2 other times, also asked what kind of car do I have to have some monstrous tire/wheel combo, I said "Mercury Marauder", his reply "oh sweet, bring it by sometime!" :burnout:

So now I have my full size spare, jack, breaker bar and torque wrench in my trunk. I got lucky cause I was about 50-55 miles from home last night.

RoyLPita
10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
The story above is the sole reason why I always drop the "donut" and carry a full sized spare.

magindat
10-14-2008, 08:50 AM
It's the reason I carry a plug kit.

Bluerauder
10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Moral of the story don't be ignorant to thing. I thought I was cool since my last set of rear tires had a combination of 11 nails/screws in them and they NEVER went flat nor even got past the steel belts of the tire.
Glad to hear that this worked out for you. You better stop driving through construction zones. ;) 11 nails or screws, dayum. :eek:

KillJoy
10-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Uhhh.... carry a can of Fix-A-Flat when you don't have the spare in there?

:dunno:

KillJoy

ctrlraven
10-14-2008, 09:09 AM
The story above is the sole reason why I always drop the "donut" and carry a full sized spare.
Yep, as soon as I went to 255/55 in the rear I dropped the donut and bought a full size spare from merc6.

I've had bad luck with plugged tires.

Glad to hear that this worked out for you. You better stop driving through construction zones. ;) 11 nails or screws, dayum. :eek:
Thanks Charlie, yeah tell me about it but that was over the life of 40-45k miles that I had on them and they all were in the raise sections of the tread never in the tread pattern.

Uhhh.... carry a can of Fix-A-Flat when you don't have the spare in there?

:dunno:
KillJoy
True, just feel bad for the tire guy when he has to take the tire off the wheel cause that stuff smells god awful. The spare will stay in now for sure.

TAKEDOWN
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I hate flat tires, pretty annoying!

twin03
10-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm glad that it didn't happen on the Beltway

Aren Jay
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
For your info.

235/50 front.

Unless your doing something odd.

You can take both rear tires off and put the smaller ones on back and one of the larger upfront. not great but atleast you can drive where your going without killing your transmission.
Turn Traction control off.
Small front, to back.
Spare on back.
big back on one side of front.
flat in trunk.

I have my winter rear (full size) as my spare, may carry my rear summer as a spare this winter unless I get a full sized spare. Full size tire needs to sit on the lower trunk area flat, as the trunk doesn't close if you put it in upright. Didn't put in on the shelf as it doesn't stay with my fancy rims. The shelf does give our cars lots of trunk space.

Krytin
10-15-2008, 03:54 AM
+1 here!
Air chuck and gauge, pliers to pull the foriegn object, reamer and plug inserter. Haven't had to use it too many times but glad I have it.

ctrlraven
10-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Why was this moved? It is Marauder related and not off topic.

Aren Jay
10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm surprised it is not in the tire section.

justbob
10-18-2008, 07:48 AM
NEVER pull the nail out unless you are ready to fix. I plugged hundeds of tires when i was a mechanic so i suppose you could say i've had good experience and trust them to hold.

ctrlraven
10-18-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised it is not in the tire section.
Actually that is pretty funny cause it very well could be in that section.

NEVER pull the nail out unless you are ready to fix. I plugged hundeds of tires when i was a mechanic so i suppose you could say i've had good experience and trust them to hold.

I did do that a lot cause if it wasn't leaking then I didn't bother with it. The last screw I had in my tire was in there for a good month but I was going to be taking a 2 hr trip so I went ahead and had it fixed to be on the safe side.

Joey3571
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I am running 255/55/18 in rear and 245/45/18 in front. Here's mu issue. Every since I made the change, I am feeling "clunky" as take off and have a sublime vibration at all speeds. Plus noise. I used Goodyear Eagle response edge tires and used a Goodyear tire store to put them on. Not sure if anyone else who has gone a size up has experienced this, but my Marauder is now making me think twice about the tire sizes.

Any ideas????

Bigdogjim
11-09-2008, 06:23 PM
That has to a record number of flats I have ever heard of?

Where do you drive?

Glad it all worked out:up: