PDA

View Full Version : I've had it!!!

Motorhead350
10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes this is a vent so continue reading if you care to hear about my latest issue. I have been going at my 65 Chevy for about 15 hours in the past 2 days doing my best to get in that 305 engine. Last night I went at it for 8 hours or so and again today for around the same time. I thought it would go in, but appareantly the front of the frame appears to be "homemade" by the last guy who installed an engine and I cannot get the motor mounts from the block onto the frame. If one is bolted in, the other will not line up. The motor mounts on the frame don't even stay if you rase the engine while one is attached... it moves with the engine! :eek:

I said I never wanted to put more into this truck than what I paid for it. ($3,000) So far all I have are a bunch of parts that will not go in or require a ton of time. Today I learned why I see ads for companies that sell front frames in Hot Rod magizines. I've had enough busted knuckles and brused finger nails today. What really ticks me off is that truck had serious potential to be something great, but it's going to take more money than I care to shell out.

I was so close to having a "classic" which is something I really wanted. I really can't stand modern cars at all. They all look like potatos, are slow, boring UNLESS you spend a ton of cash. The oldies have so much more class, chrome, style... I keep looking at 50s to early 60s Cadillacs, Chevys too and from what I can afford after selling the truck is looks like another can of worms. Now I know the best car anyone can buy is a new one, because everything is new and I can't stand that!!!

The last chance will be next saturday. My friend that helped me said he's going to make some calls all this coming week and get a crew of people over to cut, weld, whatever to get this engine in. Anyone else who wants to help or watch is more than invited. Zack this especially means you... if you can.

Thanks for reading, I'm going to bed and wishing cars never got to me.

P.S. as I wrote in one of my bands songs entitled Speed Addict the lyrics speak for themselves. "Don't ever get into this/you'll never be satisfied/all your other worries/are just sat aside." It's about horsepower BTW not drugs. Cars ruin peoples lives and wallets!!! :mad2:

justbob
10-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Like i said i'll give ya $300.00 for the truck. And you can keep and sell that 305. LOL. Don't let that old truck bust your balls. It had an engine before and it will have one again.

TAKEDOWN
10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
"don't stop believing" "you can do iiiiiit". Dom seriously don't give up!

Aren Jay
10-19-2008, 03:15 AM
You do know you have to just get the engine in and mounted loose on the mounts. When you tighten them up they fit. Do not mount one side tight then find the other side doesn't match up. It never will.

Also you may need to make new mounts or shim the mounting etc... Nothing ever fits flush, not old stuff.

Shims do not weaken things. I've built a reinforcing steel shear line once and it was shimmed to heck. We would run 100 tons of steel through it everyday and it was just as tough anything.

Yeah Yeah I was a steel worker once.

knine
10-19-2008, 05:51 AM
You've had it? I've been looking for it. Give it back.

Rocknthehawk
10-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Dom, I understand your frustration...just step back for a little while and give it some time.

Want to here mine (it's worse)

I bought my truck ($3200) in Connecticut, 2 hours from home.

From the eBay ad "The truck is reliable. Would I drive it halfway across the country? No, it's a 17 year old bodydropped truck, but it is reliable"

Funny....halfway home...motor goes kaput.

Initial teardown, headgaskets installed backwards, coolant ports not punched out. Emailing back and forth, "the motor was never rebuilt", and "I'm not giving you any money back"

A year later, I've driven it once, and that was out of my driveway and back in.

It took me months to save the $450 for a new motor. I got the motor, had a little help, rebuilt it myself, installed it (which took the help of my 4 FOOT breaker bar).

Here's the problems. After I put the motor in, the key wouldn't work to start it. I'm not a mechanic. Talking to friends and backyard mechanics, i replaced: stater, starter solenoid, ignition, inertia switch. know what it was? corroded battery cables.

Sweet! it runs!

NOT.

After it started running, i was all excited to drive it. I aired up the suspension...and it started falling. one of the valves in the back was stuck open. Wrong parts and more money later, it worked! I started it...and it died.

water in the fuel. almost 50% of the fuel cell was water.

replace...fuel filter...fuel pressure regulator...and hopefully this week the pump.

I've owned it over a year. Driven it once. Spent over $1000 fixing basically everything.

I'm just trying to say, if it's what you love, don't let it get you down Dom

UncleLar
10-19-2008, 08:01 AM
305? I thought you got that 350?
Dom,I think it's time for another lesson from Uncle Lar on the facts of life,and you can quote me,
If it's got b@@bs,tubes,or wheels,you'll have trouble with it.
That's just the natural order of things,once you accept that it'll be easier to deal with the problems to come.

ImpalaSlayer
10-19-2008, 08:33 AM
i dont understand. the motor wont fit between the rails? fab somehting up! you say you wana spend less then 3k making it drivable yet your not willing to put out the time? to take and old truck like that and make it drive able it takes 2 things , time and money, and it seems your not willing to spend neither. just my 2 cents

Aren Jay
10-19-2008, 10:29 AM
With all the problems you have been having your still lucky.

I love older sports cars. 911, 308GT4, 928, etc... but I can't get in the damn things. It is so frustrating that a S1 Lotus is so beautiful but so small I can't get in the thing. It becomes a very nice statue. Not a car, a statue. At least for you it isn't just a statue, you can get into it.

I watched that Solstice Trump Apprentice show. Went to see the Solstice at the car show, thinking it might just be the answer as it has unlimited headroom and I climbed in. I had my feet under the dash but my knees infront of it, my back squatting as far back and I couldn't move. The Dash was in the way. I climbed out and sat down butt first on the seat and found my knees couldn't get past the a Pillar. I tried sliding into the other seatand sliding my legs under the dash but couldn't turn and get into the seat because the dash, and the rear bulkhead were too damn close for me to get in.

I just do not fit in that Damnable car. A very nice looking statue. But that is all it ever will be to me, a Statue! In Japan a few years back a Friend had a Honda beat. Atleast that microcar had a reason for being hard to get into. I had to have them take the roof off so I could get in; But at least the dash was such that my knees / legs would fit in the car in the seated position. I wouldn't want to drive it but I know if I had to I could. Not so with the Solstice. There could be one next to me in the wilds of Canada keys in it and I would not be able to use it to go anywhere without sitting on the back deck and using a stick to jab the go pedal. Yes in the wilds I would hack out the dash board so my knees would fit but it wouldn't be pretty. A broken Statue.

Motorhead350
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Dang Thunderbolt! I just had a dream about a solution and I will try it today probably. Next weekend is judgement day because I need that truck out of the garage.

TAKEDOWN
10-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Be prepared for the worst, but expect the best!

justbob
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
$325.00......:d

fastblackmerc
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
You should get someone else (that knows what to do) to wrench your rides..... you obviously don't know what you are doing......

Motorhead350
10-19-2008, 05:47 PM
You should get someone else (that knows what to do) to wrench your rides..... you obviously don't know what you are doing......

Trial and error is the key to learning what I am doing.

Dragcity
10-19-2008, 06:54 PM
That's funny Dom, I have had dreams that have solved my problems on many occasions. Just goes to show you, it's in there, just need to relax and it will come out...

No reason you can't cut off the old mount and weld on a new one in the correct place.

I bet Zack could do it in 20 minutes flat.

UncleLar
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
You do know you have to just get the engine in and mounted loose on the mounts. When you tighten them up they fit. Do not mount one side tight then find the other side doesn't match up. It never will.

Also you may need to make new mounts or shim the mounting etc... Nothing ever fits flush, not old stuff.

Shims do not weaken things. I've built a reinforcing steel shear line once and it was shimmed to heck. We would run 100 tons of steel through it everyday and it was just as tough anything.

Yeah Yeah I was a steel worker once.
I'd give this advice a shot Dom.

twin03
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Just take you time, and the chips will fall into place......

Motorhead350
10-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd give this advice a shot Dom.

Tried it. :(

Yes I do need the Zack fix!

Shora
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Dom,

You want to try drive a great classic (AND do a self restore). It's not simple and it's not cheap.

You should have known that. If it was either of the two above, most evey one would do the same.

When my Father sees me working on my cars, he often tells me "I am not rich enough to own an old car". Do not think that it will be cheap driving rare and old (or classic) cars.

My advice, don't give up.

justbob
10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Did you try what i said? Take the frame mounts off and bolt them to the engine and drop it down to see wtf is going on. Worst case is you'll have to drill a couple new holes. To all others that haven't seen this it is a pretty decent truck, some hack just went loose on the frame in front of the engine and also put some camaro (?) frame mounts in that should work with little modification. For being your first ever engine swap with limited tools i think you are doing a great job. Don't give up, just rethink what you have to work with and make it better.

Motorhead350
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I might walk back to it tonight and try that, right now I'm still mad at it.

ImpalaSlayer
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
did you ask it nicely? if not try cussing at it

ImpalaSlayer
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
how about a BFH?

Motorhead350
10-20-2008, 03:12 PM
how about a BFH?

What is that?

Hacklemerc
10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
BIG F'N HAMMER. When I worked in a commo shop in the Army we had a BFTB. Big F'n Tool Box, it carried all of our BF tools. It may just need to be caressed with the BFH, with love of course.

justbob
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Bad advice^ I talked to Dom the other night (s) when he was flustered and the idea of a BFH anywhere near him is a bad idea! Then again, $275.

TAKEDOWN
10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Dom... sit back relax, take a breather. I remember you telling me that you wanted it up and running by Halloween. At that moment I didn't want to discourage you, but I knew it was gonna be a b**** to put in. It's a great car and it's gonna take some time, that's all Dom, time and patience. Dom... time and patience! Also be prepared for the aftermath problems that'll probably come with it. "Expect the best, but be PREPARED for the worst". Dom... you'll get that engine in!

justbob
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
aftermath? You mean brakes, steering, u-joints, tires, suspension, front bumper. I didn't want to discourage him any more. One step at a time. Halloween=fail. Sorry but when you rush things they kick you back harder. The only things that i suggest doing fast is racing and playing tennis while viewing redtube.

Motorhead350
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
:mad2:

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

TAKEDOWN
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes Dom, there is the AFTERMATH... give it a couple of years and your truck will be where you want it! Trust me... I know how you feel. Don't give up, Dom. Patience my young grass hopper!

Rocknthehawk
10-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Bad advice^ I talked to Dom the other night (s) when he was flustered and the idea of a BFH anywhere near him is a bad idea! Then again, $275.

I spent $125 on my breaker bar. Best money I ever spent.

I'll have to get a pic of it. Just holding it makes me feel better.

oh, guess what its called...

the DOMinator.

serendipity my friend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1258.jpg

next to a stock marauder tip for size:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1264.jpg

Motorhead350
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't wanna wait anymore guys. I already put enough time and money into this thing and if it's not together by Halloween unless Bob can't finish the wiring I want it gone. I wanted a fixerupper not a project. I'm sooooo stupid. It's almost been a year and I wanted to enjoy all summer with it, that's gone. I wanted to drive it on Halloween, looks doubtful. If that's no good than it's for sale and Bob for $300 you can have the hood since it's out of production.

justbob
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Say thats a nice prybar you got there.

Motorhead350
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Wow cool stuff.

UncleLar
10-21-2008, 01:19 AM
BFH,that's the part that carries Special Tool Part #1 in both the Ford and Harley-Davidson manuals!
Dom,i take your time. My younger brother has a friend that's been working on his 38 Chevy Street Rod since the late 1970's and I've yet to see it on the street,last I'd heard he'd swapped engines to a crate motor and actually had the windows in and was getting ready for paint.that was over a year ago.The guy has never had a job where he made good money so he's learned to do quite a bit of his own work and buys parts when he can afford them,but nobody who knows him doubts he'll get it done one day.
Think about it,he's spent 30 YEARS working on that car,he's seen more set backs then you'd believe but when he's done he's going to have a nice ride and can take pride knowing he did it himself.
So give yourself some more time,maybe even another year or two on the 65 and don't get down on yourself. Plenty of us want to help you so calm down.When I get healthier I'll come over and throw some wrenches with you or lend you some moral support,you know that. One thing I can tell you I know from mucho experience is when something starts to really get to you and you get all po'd just put the tools down and walk away for a day or two,when you're mad you'll only get stupid and ruin something,Been there,done that,too many times.After a day or two the fix will usually pop into your head and things will seem to drop into place.

Wags
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Dom,

Old cars require MUCH time, and most the time, MUCH money. My '68 took me almost 2 yrs. to get it on the road, and the '67 was 3! I cringe when I think of all of the money I put into just those two cars. I still haven't got the new motor done for the '67 yet. That's why I don't require the hoist back yet. Finding time, and money for projects like this, is very hard to do. I am hoping to get the motor in by spring (just have to finish building it, have all of the parts) but it might not happen. The point is, nothing happens overnight, and to do it right, costs much money. Take your time and don't skimp, and you will have the truck that you want.

Wags

Hacklemerc
10-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Dom I have a 72 Ford Maverick that I have been toying with for about 5 years now. Having a classic car is a labor of love. If you are on a budget it takes time and patience. I would suggest taking a step back and let things sit for a bit. Then come back to it. If you get pi$$ed and get rid of it you'll just regret it later.

Sit back with an adult beverage, look at the truck and try to remember what you want it to be. And as I learned a long time ago in the military, stay flexible man, schedules were made to be broken.

Motorhead350
10-22-2008, 01:06 AM
This weekend will dermine everything.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Most V6 and a lot of 4 cylinder modern cars are faster stock than stock v8 "muscle" era cars were.... I wouldn't call modern cars w/ technology on their side "slow"

I work on old stuff and it spends 99% time in the garage and is almost never on the road. That's the way it is though. If you want something to drive that is not a hassle then old cars are not for you! Working on old stuff, especially stuff that has been molsted by PO's, is just a series of getting crapped on by all the different systems of the car!

Aren Jay
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
You have one Marauder, now you need a second. Sell the truck, get a cheap projecto Marauder and spare part machine should you fail to do whatever you want to do with it.

You have 2 K5's and now you can have 2 Marauders. One Marauder is great and makes a wonderful other race track etc... car. Now you need a new Daily Driver / fixer Marauder.

Motorhead350
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Naa the donor K5 I had to give back when I was done taking parts from it. It's gone now.

TAKEDOWN
10-23-2008, 12:09 AM
keep the truck... it gets done when it's DONE!