PDA

View Full Version : The Loonie jumped 'off the freedom bridge'.

Aren Jay
10-22-2008, 08:22 AM

KillJoy
10-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Currently, $1USD = $1.25CAD

:up:

KillJoy

Bluerauder
10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Currently, $1USD = $1.25CAD

:up:

KillJoy
That's what he said; but reversed ... :D

Currently, $1 CAD = $0.80 USD

QWK SVT
10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Under $.80 now... It was fun while it lasted, but it looks like I will start purchasing more stuff locally, versus internet orders from US companies (sorry Amazon.com)...

MADRODER
10-23-2008, 04:47 AM
It was fun while it lasted, I guess there's good and bad side to this situation. With the US economy the way it is I doubt the low CDN dollar will bring back some of the tourists/corp.spending...... time will tell.

Dr Caleb
10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
2.5 cents in a day? 20 cents in a month?

I feel like I've been mugged!

On the plus side, there are some excellent stocks on sale right now. :)

rayjay
10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
It was fun while it lasted, I guess there's good and bad side to this situation. With the US economy the way it is I doubt the low CDN dollar will bring back some of the tourists/corp.spending...... time will tell.

+1, there is a little known but healthy touirst shopping trade in our area of the state which saw a substantial increase when the US dollar tanked against the Canadian.

QWK SVT
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
On the plus side, there are some excellent stocks on sale right now. :)

I'd be very careful... The market is acting based on emotion and, as a result, cannot be considered logical, or predictable. Even the "blue chips" of yesterdy aren't looking so safe, right now and even worse, there are no signs that the volatility will change anytime soon. Personally, I'm even steering clear of the managed funds, for now...

Dr Caleb
10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd be very careful... The market is acting based on emotion and, as a result, cannot be considered logical, or predictable. Even the "blue chips" of yesterdy aren't looking so safe, right now and even worse, there are no signs that the volatility will change anytime soon. Personally, I'm even steering clear of the managed funds, for now...

I'm not concerned with how the blue chips do 'anytime soon'. But in 5 or 10 years, I'm sure I'm not going to regret it. If you're willing to go long term, there are many blue chips on sale 20% off. ;) Like today, Suncor, Potash, Manulife - just to name a few.

I bought lots of Gold when it was $300, Silver when it was $5. And I certainly don't regret it. I don't mind buying Suncor at $40, when $60 is it's normal.

2DMAX
10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
If I ever get depressed at the falling dollar, I just remember that from when I bought my Trilogy to now, I just made 1400.00 !! :D

freakstatus
10-23-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna take a freakin bath on the Stainless Works headers I ordered a month ago when we were still at .93 cents.... I should pack my own food when we head down to Seattle to catch the Seahawks game next week.:(

quota
10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
If the "loonie" did not fall, we would pay less than 0.80 for one liter of gas. Tax wise, can you imagine what a loss it would be for the government ?

JP

QWK SVT
10-27-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm not concerned with how the blue chips do 'anytime soon'. But in 5 or 10 years, I'm sure I'm not going to regret it. If you're willing to go long term, there are many blue chips on sale 20% off. ;) Like today, Suncor, Potash, Manulife - just to name a few.

I bought lots of Gold when it was $300, Silver when it was $5. And I certainly don't regret it. I don't mind buying Suncor at $40, when $60 is it's normal.

True enough... On the "buying side" my employee share purchase plan is looking good, right now (I work for one of the FI's), at 50% off the 52-week high. If I was anywhere near retirment age, I'd be in a world of hurt, tho. I know several who WERE planning to retire this year (employer reducing retiree benefits after this year ends), but now are looking at their savings, tied to company stock, and are trying to figure out where they go from here.

Who knows... Soon enough, my shares may be converted to Manu, anyway :lol:

If the "loonie" did not fall, we would pay less than 0.80 for one liter of gas. Tax wise, can you imagine what a loss it would be for the government ?

JP

They will look for any reason to keep the price of gas high at the pumps. Regardless of dollar fluctuations, the price at >$1 is not justifiable. Oil is well below $65/barrel. Give it a few more weeks, and we will see new excuses, because "more oil will be diverted to produce heating oil" :mad2: