PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your operating system for?

Aren Jay
10-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Dr Caleb
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Games. CAD. Photo Manipulation.

I do many other things, 'offline' for which a browser would be useless.

xopher
10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I use MS Access on a daily basis for work, chucking of gigabytes of data around the world with distributed file servers, something that poor IE or Firefox or Safari would choke and die on.

Jinx
10-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Another vote for games. I have yet to see a browser that will play Crysis. ;)

Aren Jay
10-28-2008, 09:36 PM

offroadkarter
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Is there anything that you do, right now, that you couldn't do with a web browser and a special homepage website or multiple websites?

Watching you 24/7 and controlling robots to leave weird monitoring devices in your house...

And spill coffee on the wall :P

Dr Caleb
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Just wondering if a browser alone could replace Windows or other OSes.

Have a game vault web page and other application web pages and have people log in like a terminal over the web. Given how much is done over the web now a days.

anyone think it would be viable?

There are several 'thin client' PC's out now. ASUS EePC is one. It runs just basic programs, like a browser mail client and work processing. All Linux based. ;)

It's a very useful machine, for just basic surfing and such.

Aren Jay
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM

Dr Caleb
10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah Eee PC ish, only more so.

sound interesting?

Mmmmm, no. There is nothing out there that can match the bandwidth of a high end video card, such that it could be remote to the computer. And I wouldn't want to play Unreal 3 or Crysis on it. :) Even 4GB fibre meant for SAN storage couldn't match a local video card for pure bit throughput. And if it was all server side, you'd have to run a second machine as a server anyhow.

Same with CAD. Photo manipulation, perhaps, but video editing - no.

I like the idea of a stripped down single use machine, but I don't use my machine for any one thing. Windows is also not built to have only certain modules loaded, and most of the games I play don't run in any other OS. Which is the only reason I have a Windows install around at all.

I do have a VMWare server, that I have server images, workstation images and single purpose servers on. But they just can't handle some of the client side tasks as well as a proper workstation.

Aren Jay
11-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Dr Caleb
11-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Redfly looks OK I guess. If you want a low-profile type PC. About the same as the others.

Like I said, I have some high end PCs, so to me it's just another gadget I don't need. ;)