PDA

View Full Version : Push button start, do you love it or hate it?

Motorhead350
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
This is in no reguards to the Marauder, just cars and general. I have been noticing more and more cars with this key that you stick in or just keep near the vehicle, push a button and it starts. I haven't seen anything go wrong with these keys just yet, but I still do not like them. The reason is I have no idea what is going to happen in the long run.

This key needs computers to work and what happens when the computer fails or the key runs out of battery power? :confused: What will happen 30 or 40 years down the road when someone wants to restore a Dodge Challenger? I also think it's pretty pathetic that I heard auto makers are looking for a way to make a key that is waterproof and can take a beating.... hello?! Our own Marauder keys are just like that!

Could this key also be something big brother sent us? Could it trace when the car was used, started, driven, turned off? I don't know if anyone here has started a car with push button, but it can be frustrating to start sometimes because it's not pushed in enough or you have to get in that second click. With our "old school" set up we can just start it and go with no problems. Think about what would happen if we had to leave in a hurry and we didn't get that proper click in in time? Even when you start these cars it seems that they are delayed in getting in driving mode.

Well as you figured out I like the old way once again. What are your thoughts?

FordNut
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I hate it.

illwood
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm not a fan either. I think that they initially caught on because the push button start has a "race-car" look. The earliest push button start car I can remember is the first generation Dodge Vipers IIRC.

You could use the same argument against the computer system as you could against EFI.

Maybe they'll have "key kits" in 20-30 years.

GetMeMyStogie
11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
According to the owners manual, our Marauder keys interface with the computer to provide a passive ignition lock out feature. Jamming a big screwdriver into the ignition may get the key cylinder to rotate, but since the computer can't interface with the screwdriver, ignition is prevented.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine the MM keys do not require any power - much like the security card I use to enter my office at work, which only needs to be brought near the card reader at each entrance.

As to the other issues you point out, I cannot comment - I haven't ever used a vehicle with a push button ignition. But it is nice to know where to put your key so the car can start reliably every time.

TAKEDOWN
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't know what to think, I guess I gotta own one to see if it's... ?
I see our senior citizens still using keys to enter their vehicles, when all along they got lock/unlock remote push BUTTON controls. So maybe I like the HOLE!

nomad
11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
"Push button start, do you love it or hate it?"
yes

ImpalaSlayer
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
its stupid you still need a key

IMO FAIL

CBT
11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
About 5 years ago my 77 'vette would randomly not start when I turned the key. It got worse and worse and I got stranded one day. I replaced damn near everything and nothing helped. So I bypassed everything and made it a push button start. Works great, never had a problem since. You can get in and turn the key, everything comes alive, but no cranky cranky unless you find the button and push it. So I love it.

Motorhead350
11-04-2008, 04:49 PM
About 5 years ago my 77 'vette would randomly not start when I turned the key.

My Chevy trick was a hammer, special thanks to Zack for that one. ;)

Krytin
11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
They sell a push button start switch kit for the Mustang that I was looking at for the Marauder - just can't figure out where to mount it! It replaces the lighter on the Mustang.

Seneca
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Hate it, thats what keys are for

Aren Jay
11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I think it is neat but I would only want it if you didn't need your keays with you to use it. A chip in your wallet and a Marauder like door keypad with push button would be great. No keys to worry about no keys to lose or lock in or anything. But if you need your key within 5 feet of the button then what is the point?

Used to be that we had a key. We opened the door and put it in the dash ignition turned and started the car, their was a door lock on both doors or even all four, all trunks or tail gates had keyed locks. Not anymore. One keyed lock on a car now, two if you have a trunk lock. That is it. But then we live in a push button world. Soon we will have finger print locks and ignition switches or blow ignitions. All to make you and me feel safe.

quota
11-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I had a start button system in one of my previous cars. I did not like it.
JP