PDA

View Full Version : Desperation..I need help from someone with Mercury clout

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I really screwed the pooch today. I am sure Zack will chime in and disparage me as I sure deserve it for this one.

Long story short, I forgot my Marauder was due for an Ohio emissions check for plates in January. I went to the track a few weeks ago and threw a check engine light for 02 sensors. I replaced the sensors over the weekend and followed the recycle eec directions to the tee. Twice in fact.

I went to the testing station today. They normally just plug in the OBD2 port. They did so...but the report came back needing more testing 'not ready'. I screwed the pooch by letting them dyno the car. I should have just driven off. It failed miserably in all respects to exhaust gas emissions.

I highly doubt anyone around my neighborhood will be able to correct this problem with all the mods on this car.

My only out is to apply for Ohio Collector Plates, making me exempt to testing. There in the problem lies.
Since the criteria for obtaining these plates is aquired from the state by utilizing various books that list limited production cars up until 1994, the Marauder is no where to be found. They will require additional information such as photos and personal input. What they really want to sway their decision is a document FROM THE MANUFACTURER indicating the vehicles limited production.

I went to my Merc dealer and the head honcho is not sure he can help.
We here all know that our cars are very limited, but what I really need is a letter with Ford or Lincoln Mercury letter head that states the actual production numbers.

With that letter, and photos of me on the track and at various car shows, I may be able to convince the Ohio BMV I am worthy of Collector plates.

I haven't searched the internet yet, but I will.

In the interim, I am wondering if any of the members here with the the resources and know how may be able to help me obtain such a letter or document to support my claim.

I will be forever thankfull to any and all of you that may help me. ;)

KillJoy
11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Why did you have them do anything if the "not ready" codes showed up?

:dunno:

KillJoy

magindat
11-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Try contacting Jerry Wrobleski through Dennis Reinhart.

Try contacting Steve Babcock - 'over there'.

Try getting something from Brian, RoyLPita.

magindat
11-05-2008, 01:42 PM
There's also about a gajillion sources that say 11,052 produced.

O's Fan Rich
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Ford Performance Group website... describes the limited production
but it does direct you to MCM,

O's Fan Rich
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/

Mike Poore
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey Bear, would it make sense to talk to Jerry Barnes about it? If anyone has contacts, it's him. Trying to make contact with Steve may be an exercize in futility.

Zack
11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Its very easy to correct.
You fill out the form and say you made all necessary repairs, which were computer related.
I make you a new tune that commands a 22.7:1 Air fuel at idle and you will pass with flying colors.
After your corrections are made and their computer reconnects with your 'ready' computer, they wont even put it back on the dyno.
They had no business putting it on the dyno anyway because of the PCM not being ready for testing.

Egon Spengler
11-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Get that Maraudr certificate that is coming out soon that everyone is talking about and tell them that there are more Plymouth Prowlers out there than Marauders!

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Why did you have them do anything if the "not ready" codes showed up?

:dunno:

KillJoy

I reiterate...I f-ed up by doing so.

Ford Performance Group website... describes the limited production
but it does direct you to MCM,

Thank you Rich! No worries about MCM. I believe my membership is still good over there.

You fill out the form and say you made all necessary repairs, which were computer related.
I make you a new tune that commands a 22.7:1 Air fuel at idle and you will pass with flying colors.
After your corrections are made and their computer reconnects with your 'ready' computer, they wont even put it back on the dyno.
They had no business putting it on the dyno anyway because of the PCM not being ready for testing.

Thank you Zack.
I guess I need to send my chip to you?

BTW: They do not idle the car, but run it at 25mph for 2 minutes.
Also, from my understanding, it will not be rechecked first with the OBD2, BUT SENT DIRECTLY TO THE DYNO.

Does that matter?

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
On a side note...

I really would like to eventually go for the collector plate registration.
Basically to avoid future failures.
But even though I love my current special plate, (as it is one of the coolest ever), but I have been thinking of the new plate saying "runs 11s".

I am not sure I can still get 7 letters with the OC collector plate.
I need to look into that.

Zack
11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Just send in the card stating you have the engine out for repairs, that can buy you 6 months before going back (while keeping the registration valid)

You need a pic of a Marauder with the engine out to send them?

RF Overlord
11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
You need a pic of a Marauder with the engine out to send them?Heh...you must have pics of every colour with the engine out...I'll take a black and a silver.

:lol:

Vortech347
11-05-2008, 03:30 PM
But even if it passes the sniffers isn't it still required to have cats? or does it already and its because of long tubes? Can you register the car in a different county that dosn't have IM? I register my mustang in a county that only requires safety.

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I just now found the thread regarding the certificates for our builds.
Not sure how the hell I missed that one. :stupid:

When those become available, that's all I will need to convince the BMV for collector status.

I just went to the mechanic that threw in my 02 sensors and he was gracious enough to print out a work order I wasn't interested in at the time. It shows I spent the mandatory what ever amount of money to try and fix the problem.

An extension should not be too hard to obtain.

Dennis Reinhart
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I really screwed the pooch today. I am sure Zack will chime in and disparage me as I sure deserve it for this one.

Long story short, I forgot my Marauder was due for an Ohio emissions check for plates in January. I went to the track a few weeks ago and threw a check engine light for 02 sensors. I replaced the sensors over the weekend and followed the recycle eec directions to the tee. Twice in fact.

I went to the testing station today. They normally just plug in the OBD2 port. They did so...but the report came back needing more testing 'not ready'. I screwed the pooch by letting them dyno the car. I should have just driven off. It failed miserably in all respects to exhaust gas emissions.

I highly doubt anyone around my neighborhood will be able to correct this problem with all the mods on this car.

My only out is to apply for Ohio Collector Plates, making me exempt to testing. There in the problem lies.
Since the criteria for obtaining these plates is acquired from the state by utilizing various books that list limited production cars up until 1994, the Marauder is no where to be found. They will require additional information such as photos and personal input. What they really want to sway their decision is a document FROM THE MANUFACTURER indicating the vehicles limited production.

I went to my Merc dealer and the head honcho is not sure he can help.
We here all know that our cars are very limited, but what I really need is a letter with Ford or Lincoln Mercury letter head that states the actual production numbers.

With that letter, and photos of me on the track and at various car shows, I may be able to convince the Ohio BMV I am worthy of Collector plates.

I haven't searched the internet yet, but I will.

In the interim, I am wondering if any of the members here with the the resources and know how may be able to help me obtain such a letter or document to support my claim.

I will be forever thankfull to any and all of you that may help me. ;)

They should have provided you the print out of the emisions that were out of spec, if you have that I am sure it can be corrected, Jerry is doing calibration out of state, I talk to him at least once a week. I know between the two of us we should be able to help, are they going to require a new dyno test or will they scan the car and if it passes will that satisfy them.

Zack
11-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Barry had a chip in the PCM, thats why he failed. :rolleyes:

KillJoy
11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
They should have provided you the print out of the emisions that were out of spec, if you have that I am sure it can be corrected, Jerry is doing calibration out of state, I talk to him at least once a week. I know between the two of us we should be able to help, are they going to require a new dyno test or will they scan the car and if it passes will that satisfy them.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

justbob
11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
And this is why i'm scared! Now i have to fork over $400.00 for an xcal w/tune to essentially put me back to where i already am.:mad2:

Dennis Reinhart
11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Well he made a simple mistake, yes if he had a chip in the car no OBD2 scanner will be able to read the EEC, but had he taken the chip out, he still could have failed, with his extensive modifications, regardless he still should be able to go back and have it retested, the tuner who programed the chip may help if Barry if he provides him the emissions data. But this is not the end of the world this issue can be solved.:beer:

KillJoy
11-05-2008, 06:49 PM
And this is why i'm scared! Now i have to fork over $400.00 for an xcal w/tune to essentially put me back to where i already am.:mad2:

I have a unlocked SCT 9100 I will sell you if you want it.

PM me if interested.

KillJoy

Dennis Reinhart
11-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a unlocked SCT 9100 I will sell you if you want it.

PM me if interested.

KillJoy

The problem he is going to have is he will have to get the tune for the car from the tuner that he got the chip from, then he will have to put that tune on the 9100 or pay to have the car dyno tuned and have the tuner leave specific parameters to stock so the emissions station scanner can run a full test.

Black_Noise
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
ha ha, we dont have emission tests in iowa. gotta love it

justbob
11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Just a thought. My car is mostly stock so would it just be feasible to remove the blower belt, crank down the bap, and remove the chip for emissions day? This shouldn't throw any codes should it?

Sorry for the hijack Barry.

Zack
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Just a thought. My car is mostly stock so would it just be feasible to remove the blower belt crank, down the bap, and remove the chip for emissions day? This shouldn't throw any codes should it?

You shouldnt do that.

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2008, 08:43 PM

No problem Bob.

Yeah....as the years go by I seem to forget things.
I remember removing the chip two years ago....now....now that Zack reminded me.

Actually, in my present setup, I would not have been able to safely run the car WITHOUT the chip to take the test as I did in the past anyway.

What I need to do is get my base tune burned into the EEC where it belongs. When I was NA I had my base tune both in one of the chip banks AND in the EEC. Jerry did that for me years ago and I forgot to have Zack replace it for me. See...that tune NA was really unique and got the job done nicely. I kinda wanted to keep it for posterity.

I need now to quickly obtain (I say quickly as the weather here in Ohio goes to hell in about 3 more weeks), a tuner to flash my base tune onto my EEC so that I may remove the chip and take the plug in test again. Now that totally rides on the test center allowing another plug in ONLY test. I need to swing by the test station tomorrow and see if the dyno test is mandatory at this point. If it is, I'll merely apply for the extension, and approach this matter in the spring somehow.

Dennis:
Here are the emission results with my current tune. Bear in mind, residual leaded fuel has likely soiled the cats in some fashion as I can still smell the odor if the car is idling in a confined space.

HC's in PPM = 173 Allowable = 67
CO in % = 0.49 Allowable = 0.37
NO in PPM = 2111.5 Allowable = unknown, not provided.
CO2 in % = 14.35 Allowable = unknown, not provided, but marked NA

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Here is a question:

Can I safely pull the chip in the parking lot test center and merely start the car, idle it to the door way, and allow it to idle while they plug in again?

There won't be any excessive rpm's or driving involved, just idling.

Or is this a case again where the EEC now needs to re-learn?
I mean, how would the computer immediately know I had a blower, injectors, and other things chaged?

knine
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Just a thought for the future, but some people in Illinois register thier car to a P.O. box or a realitive in an area that is not tested for emissions. The whole state does not require testing in Illinois, what about that daym commy pinko BLUE state you live in?

Ken
11-06-2008, 06:52 AM
I remember removing the chip two years ago....now....now that Zack reminded me.Why did you have to remove the chip then? I've never removed the chip, but never threw a code either. Was concerned the first time after the Kook's install, but they just plugged in and it was fine.

Doesn't Grandpa live in a non-emission test county? ;););)

Ken

magindat
11-06-2008, 07:02 AM
*****, Barry! I'll rent ya a PakMail Store box down here for 60 bucks a year and have them forward. Booya - done deal - no inspections. Cool-ass Floride Protect the Panther plates!

http://buyaplate.com/images/Panther-plate.jpg

Stranger in the Black Sedan
11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
You ran leaded gas through cats? Man oh man.

CRUZTAKER
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Why did you have to remove the chip then? I've never removed the chip, but never threw a code either. Was concerned the first time after the Kook's install, but they just plugged in and it was fine.

Doesn't Grandpa live in a non-emission test county? ;););)

Ken

Ken, the chip block their equipment from accessing the EEC. I am not sure how you did it, but I know for fact it never read it in the past. I always pull it out in the parking lot before testing. That is what we always reminded the membership in the early days of Diablo chip introduction.

*****, Barry! I'll rent ya a PakMail Store box down here for 60 bucks a year and have them forward. Booya - done deal - no inspections. Cool-ass Floride Protect the Panther plates!

I absolutelty LOVE the plate selection in Florida!
That one is absolutely cool...but being a diver there are several others I want as well. I love the Mannatee protection plate...and the and the multi-colored water looking one.
I have property in Bradenton, perhaps someday I'll register one of the cars when I spend more time down there.

CRUZTAKER
11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Alrighty then....:D:D:D

I went back to the testing station today and asked for the manager.

The woman....apparently comes from a family of gear heads and not only understands my setup, but fell in love with the car. She performed a personal inspection of the motor, blower, and NOS setup and was...well, blown away with it.

So much so apparently, she gave me a two year waiver, thus allowing me to renew the registration and sent me on my way with one condition.

Smokey burnout on the way off the lot.

WOW! Too cool.

Now I can correct the lack of tune on my EEC and add the new one from Zack with corrected AF numbers to blow better emissions on the dyno.
It is indeed true however, in 2011 when I am retested, it WILL be on the dyno with the sniffer.

justbob
11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Thats too cool of her!! You got off way easy.

TAKEDOWN
11-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah! You caught a real nice break there and for a couple of years too!

n3fvg
11-07-2008, 04:21 AM

Correctumondo!:beer:

n3fvg
11-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Alrighty then....:D:D:D

I went back to the testing station today and asked for the manager.

The woman....apparently comes from a family of gear heads and not only understands my setup, but fell in love with the car. She performed a personal inspection of the motor, blower, and NOS setup and was...well, blown away with it.

So much so apparently, she gave me a two year waiver, thus allowing me to renew the registration and sent me on my way with one condition.

Smokey burnout on the way off the lot.

WOW! Too cool.

Now I can correct the lack of tune on my EEC and add the new one from Zack with corrected AF numbers to blow better emissions on the dyno.
It is indeed true however, in 2011 when I am retested, it WILL be on the dyno with the sniffer.

All those mods, leaded gas, etc., are certainly worth the hassle?!

tjg442
11-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Looks like a new winter project now that my rims and tire are set !
Used car dealers have a BLACK BOOK for collector cars ! My 96 MB SL500 is listed. Also, ANY documeted after market updates that are over ?? say $5000.00 or so not sure of the amount can qualify for your plates. BMV was very helpfull with info for my SL. I'll check today with my dealer friend today, never thought of getting collector plates for my MM ? Hummm!
Stay in touch, hope I helped a little....tjg442

MM03MOK
11-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Ken, the chip block their equipment from accessing the EEC. I am not sure how you did it, but I know for fact it never read it in the past. I always pull it out in the parking lot before testing. That is what we always reminded the membership in the early days of Diablo chip introduction.

MA has new inspection station equipment, effective 10/1/08. I took the BlackBird in for her annual inspection in Oct. - emissions every year now instead of biennial. Never had a problem before but this time, due to the new equpment, they could not read through the OBDII port. The inspection failed and I had a big R on the new sticker. Luckily RF rememberd we got a cable from Lidio because of the Trilogy tune on a chip, which blocks out the chip so the inspection equipment doesn't know it's there. I went back today with the cable installed and it passed fine. :2thumbs: on being able to read the OBDII port now. The cable basically disconnects output pins that relate to the chip (or something like that.) BlackBird's good for another year, just before she takes her winter nap. :D

BODYMAN
11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
AH The country (remote counties in Missouri) no emmision testing required. safety only $12.00. Thats why I moved from a block away from work I have a 45 min drive each way to work verse a 1-minute drive. But well worth it. 2 of my Brothers have there legal address as mine so they can register there cars. I have a 91 Stang that if I even pulled up to a emmisions testing facility they would just laugh at me.:banana:

freakstatus
11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
On a side note...

I really would like to eventually go for the collector plate registration.
Basically to avoid future failures.
But even though I love my current special plate, (as it is one of the coolest ever), but I have been thinking of the new plate saying "runs 11s".

I am not sure I can still get 7 letters with the OC collector plate.
I need to look into that.

Up here where I live, collector plates come with some driving restrictions. I'm not sure if its the same where you are.

CRUZTAKER
11-20-2008, 06:25 PM
MA has new inspection station equipment, effective 10/1/08. I took the BlackBird in for her annual inspection in Oct. - emissions every year now instead of biennial. Never had a problem before but this time, due to the new equpment, they could not read through the OBDII port. The inspection failed and I had a big R on the new sticker. Luckily RF rememberd we got a cable from Lidio because of the Trilogy tune on a chip, which blocks out the chip so the inspection equipment doesn't know it's there. I went back today with the cable installed and it passed fine. :2thumbs: on being able to read the OBDII port now. The cable basically disconnects output pins that relate to the chip (or something like that.) BlackBird's good for another year, just before she takes her winter nap. :D

I like to hear corrosponding stories....
There's a (part-time) member here in Ohio that claims he took his MM with the chip installed and it read asd passed here no problem.

I know that's impossible, but just too tired to argue about it.:rolleyes:

CRUZTAKER
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
All those mods, leaded gas, etc., are certainly worth the hassle?!

There is no hassle at all.
I merely forgot to pull the chip.

MM03MOK
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Here's the cable....

http://www.sctflash.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2 9

http://www.sctflash.com/shop/contents/image.php?image[0]=images/products/DatalogCable.gif&

RF Overlord
11-21-2008, 05:57 AM
There's a (part-time) member here in Ohio that claims he took his MM with the chip installed and it read asd passed here no problem.

I know that's impossible, but just too tired to argue about it.Bear, that may not be impossible. We've had the Trilogy chip in The Blackbird since early 2005 and it has passed MA inspection every year until this one. The state recently installed all new equipment to go along with the more stringent requirements that are now in place, so something about the new equipment is different than the old. Maybe the station you used has different equipment than one your friend uses... :dunno:

BTW, Lidio sells the necessary adaptor cable Mary mentioned for a very reasonable price... :D

Ken
11-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Bear, that may not be impossible. We've had the Trilogy chip in The Blackbird since early 2005 and it has passed MA inspection every year until this one. The state recently installed all new equipment to go along with the more stringent requirements that are now in place, so something about the new equipment is different than the old. Maybe the station you used has different equipment than one your friend uses... :dunno:

BTW, Lidio sells the necessary adaptor cable Mary mentioned for a very reasonable price... :DAm I that part-time member? :D :dunno: Apparently, I will be after the other post!

What chip was Lidio using just before the SCT came out? About 3 1/2 years ago when I got my 4:10's and dyno tune, I got a chip with a cable hanging from it, I believe that it was for multiple tunes if I would have gotten it, (only got one) The cable has been hanging and covered by the floormat ever since.

I passed with no problem in 2005 with the newly installed Kook's and DR tune, I got my JLT CAI later that month and developed a bog due to an air/fuel ratio problem. DR said my early chip was not reprogrammable, so I got the chip from Lidio, that was just before the SCT tuners (?) became available, should have waited, but didn't want to wait longer for the A/F correction. Have been happy with the tune ever since. I also passed that same emissions test in 2007. Did nothing, but make sure that the car was warmed up. I've never thrown a code, so nothing showed up when they plugged in to the dataport.

Ken

Ken

CRUZTAKER
11-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Am I that part-time member? :D :dunno: Apparently, I will be after the other post!

Nope not you...think more part -timer. :P

I wonder if you had a Diablo?
I know for sure my SCT caused issues with the monitors at the BMV.
Hell, you cannot even read/clear codes with a handheld tuner unless I pull my chip. I tried that one day at Marks house when we came home from Norwalk with the check engine light.