PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car - Vacation Review

Bluerauder
11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
POST NUMBER 10,000

Rental Car/Vacation Review
24 Oct – 3 Nov 08

Just took an 11-day vacation out in the middle of the Mojave Desert, CA.

The wife and I flew in to McCarren Airport in Las Vegas, NV and picked up a 2008 Grand Marquis LS from Hertz. Over the course of 11 days, we put nearly 1,200 miles on the car. Total cost was $553.00 including the airport concession fee and taxes. Seems I qualified for a 15% discount since I booked through my company travel agent (or maybe I just looked like I qualified for the OFG discount). That works out to be about $0.49 per mile or $50.00 per day. Not too bad, I think.

Here’s a pic of the car …… look familiar?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/GrandMarquisNTC1.jpg

I guess that is why I like to get a Grand Marquis when traveling …. It is familiar. I’ve had some of the Nissans, Toyotas, Malibus, Taurus, Impalas, and Monte Carlos before. However, I feel most comfortable sitting inside a familiar surrounding. The view from the driver’s seat gives me that “At Home” feeling and much looks the same and buttons are where they should be …. Except for that pesky gear shift and center console with convenient cupholders. Big enough for a bunch of luggage. Comfortable enough for a long haul. No complaints from the wife is also a big plus.

One problem with the Grand Marquis is that the brain’s transition from Marauder to GM is pretty slow. Everything looks about right … but the foot action takes a little getting used to. I had to use far too much pedal to get the beast to move. Passing on the highway took a little more planning than with the MM. All in all though – it was the perfect car for this vacation and we ran the crap out of it.

One problem did crop up after 804 miles. The dashboard message center displayed “wrench” symbol. I reset this three times but it kept coming back on within several miles. I initially thought that it was just a service reminder; but my son pulled the manual from the glove compartment and it said “System has detected a drive train fault – Servie Immediately”. Not good. Fortunately, I only had 5 miles to go to Disneyland and just parked the car. The next day, I called Hertz Emergency Service and told the agent that I needed a replacement car and would prefer a delivery swap-out. After a little coordination, they told me to drive to the Orange County (John Wayne) Airport about 13 miles away. I did and picked up an identical car – except this one had a Hertz Magellan Navigation system for me to play with. Only about 1 hour inconvenience while the grandson was taking his afternoon nap. Not a problem – except that Grandpop didn’t get his nap.

Our stops included Las Vegas, Fort Irwin/National Training Center (NTC), San Diego, and Disneyland/Anaheim, CA. The wife loved the scenery – especially in the desert and through the San Bernadino mountains. She got to dip her toes in the Pacific Ocean for the 1st time at the Navy Lodge on North Island/Coronado. We visited the San Diego harbor front, Midway Aircraft museum, and the Navy Hospital at Balboa (eye appointment for my son).

Disneyland at Halloween is a “Hoot”. Everything is decorated in a Halloween theme and nearly everyone – adults and kids and babies were in costume. I dressed up as an Old Fat Guy --- no one even noticed.

Got to participate in the Grandson’s 2nd birthday party. Spend quality time with the kids and the drive from Las Vegas to NTC and back was a real pleasure. Open roads and no brake lights in sight. I never get to see those conditions around here.

The End

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/GrandMarquisNTC2.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/GrandMarquisNTC3.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/GrandMarquisNTC4.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/GrandMarquisNTC5.jpg

TAKEDOWN
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Ooo that 3rd picture, got me ALL excited! Young love never gets old!

TiTo35
11-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

offroadkarter
11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Looks like you had a great time!

PS: Congrats on 10k posts!

twin03
11-06-2008, 08:56 PM
That old blue, still have some pimp juice in him..................

BAD MERC
11-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I am on board with you with rentals. In 2000 I went to Tennessee for twelve days and put almost 2,000 miles on a 2000 Taurus. I think it was around $350.00 and I didn't have to sweat a thing if I had car trouble - they bring you another one if anything happens.

DOOM
11-06-2008, 10:53 PM
great pics charlie! :up:

Bluerauder
11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Ooo that 3rd picture, got me ALL excited! Young love never gets old!
Yep, after 33 years -- its still the same. :D As my father used to say .... "There might be snow on the roof; but there's fire in the furnace." :)

Ms. Denmark
11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Missed ya Charlie. Good to see that you and Bernie enjoyed California and your family. That "kiss" shot is priceless! Welcome back.:burnout:

Bluerauder
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
That "kiss" shot is priceless!

I was gonna do the same thing as part of the Covered Bridge "tradition" up in PA but figured I would wreck the car, collapse the bridge, and screw up Mike's secret route forever. :rofl:

CBT
11-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Okay, I'll bite, wht's the covered bridge tradition?

Bluerauder
11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Okay, I'll bite, wht's the covered bridge tradition?

From the brochure "Bridges of Lehigh Valley" ...

Why were the bridges covered?

To quote an old Pennsylvania carpenter, “To keep them dry – not
the travelers, not the horses or the wagonloads of hay, nor the sweethearts
halted in the shadows, but the plank roadways.” Builders in Maryland and Virginia expressed their reasoning differently, “Our bridges are covered
for the same reason that our belles wear hoop skirts and crinolines –
to protect the structural beauty that is seldom seen, but nevertheless
appreciated.” Some say bridges were covered to resemble barns,
making horses less hesitant to enter.

Covered bridges have a romantic quality that we associate with times
when life moved more slowly. The shade they provided made them a
natural place to pause from the summer’s heat. Pausing was for some
a chance to steal a kiss, hence, their nickname “kissing bridges”!

Ms. Denmark
11-08-2008, 07:16 PM
That's right. Driving through a covered bridge requires you to stop in the middle and kiss your main squeeze.:cool4:
Our Gettysburg group performed admirably. Yes Charlie, it was probably best that you remained in your vehicle.:D

merc
11-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I was in San Francisco last week. I could have drove down to visit. Nice pictures and I love the Kiss.

Bluerauder
11-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I was in San Francisco last week. I could have drove down to visit. Nice pictures and I love the Kiss.
That's about a 500 mile run down from SF.

oldekid
11-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Glad you shared the pics Charlie. The "kiss" shot is pretty creative. Well done!
:beer: