PDA

View Full Version : This day in history

teamrope
11-08-2008, 09:41 AM
" . . . On November 8th, 1965, the 173rd Airborne Brigade on Operation Hump War Zone D in Vietnam were ambushed by over 1200 V.C. Forty-eight American soldiers lost their lives that day.

Severely wounded and risking his own life, Lawrence Jole, a medic was the first living black man since the Spanish-American War to receive the United States Medal of Honor for saving so many lives in the midst of battle that day . . . "

This video tribute is well worth the watch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmHgwjXlsPY) God bless our Veterans of Foreign wars.

Bluerauder
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
" . . . On November 8th, 1965, the 173rd Airborne Brigade on Operation Hump War Zone D in Vietnam were ambushed by over 1200 V.C. Forty-eight American soldiers lost their lives that day.
I did it again .... I teared up just remembering. :cry: Thanks for posting the tribute. :flag:

The events of 8 November 1965 didn't get much coverage since less than a week later elements of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) including 1/7 Cav, 2/7 Cav, and 1/5 Cav were ambushed and surrounded in the Battle of the IA Drang Valley by overwhelming numbers of NV Regulars -- 14-18 November 1965. The events were depicted in the 2002 movie of the events "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson as LTC Hal Moore. 234 killed, 242 wounded. Never forget. >>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Were_Soldiers

Were you aware that "Kris Kristofferson ultimately joined the U.S. Army and achieved the rank of captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He also completed Ranger School. During the early 1960s, he was deployed to West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division[4]. It was during this time that he resumed his music career and formed a band. In 1965, when his tour of duty ended, Kristofferson was offered a position as a professor of English Literature at West Point. Instead, he decided to leave the Army and pursue songwriting professionally."

teamrope
11-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I was not aware of that Charley, Thanks for sharing! Also Thanks for your service. :beer:

To tell the truth that song sends a shiver down my spine and the video made my eyes leak a little too.

TAKEDOWN
11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I thank my fellow blood brothers, who served before and after me! Thank you SIR!

UncleLar
11-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Just a couple months ago Il Secretary of State Jesse White participated in naming IL HWY 173 in honor of the 173rd. I was there for it although I was just a squid.
The 173rd participated in the only mass drop in Viet Nam.