PDA

View Full Version : My music taste is still dying!

Motorhead350
11-10-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm getting so sick of all my music being weeded out on Sirius/XM. First the Punk channel goes bye bye for frickin' AC/DC (as if they don't have enough radio airplay on FM) and now my wednesday night Doo Wop show just got the slammer. I thought the point of having Sirius was to hear music that we cannot hear from FM, but now it's going more "commercial".

That show was on for 2 years turning me onto to really good old stuff from the mid fifties and sometimes before. It's like no matter what type of music I am passionate about, it's dying out... ALL of it! Bo Diddley dies, the Doo Wop show is cancelled, the Punk Channel is killed, I think I'm going to snap!

What do we have these days? Hybrid cars, ipods and let's not forget what studio magic Auto Tune can create for bands!!! Do you know what that is? It's when a singer hits a flat or shap note it can be fixed with a computer. It used to be done with a keyboard, but now with computers you can literally type in a soundwave of a melody and anyone can sing! SUPER! You don't have to sing well to be passed off as a great singer these days!

What did we have 50 years ago? Chrome bumper cars, vinyl and talent! No auto tune back then. Back in the day you had to be able to sing or you didn't get the record deal, gig or a decent recording. You had to work to get the music out there and actually put on a decent live show. Even those on major labels had to be able to sing which is the first thing you must be able to do if you want to sing! Even if it took 70 takes it was pure raw talent, no B.S.

If anyone knows where I can get a time machine let me know. I'm rather be 70 years old today and lived out the good times than 23 in 2008. I'm done for now.

Haggis
11-10-2008, 04:41 AM
If you can't lip synch(sp?) you aint dodo.

CBT
11-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Perhaps this style of music can help fill the void. Speaking of filling a void, BOIIIIING!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGyWQhbyXY

Pops
11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I think you are wrong Dom! Better off to be 23 today so you can talk about the good old days when you are 70!

CBT
11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
This should show you that there is hope for musical humanity.
LONG LIVE THE R.R.!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsJ19sy3JI

Motorhead350
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Naa this is more what I had in mind, some of the video is cool, but some doesn't fit to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqRMUbGGgM&feature=related

CBT
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
50's Doo-wop with 60's 'Nam footage? They need to change the video selection on the jukebox. Try this one. Cool vehicles, great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxrjHkZHurU

Testosterone is my motor, anger is my fuel.:cool:

Motorhead350
11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I liked the song...

Egon Spengler
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
You are going have have to force yourself to like popular music... I listen to channel five alot, but I have a wide range of listening so I can switch it up from channel 5 to shade 45 and listen to some hardcore rap... You need to expand your horizons! I could care less about punk rock, but I am with you on the 50's music... I like your band's style too

Eric-Blk2004
11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Dude stop clinging to the past. If the music is good it will endure. Do you think classical or opera is main stream? At a time it was but not anymore by a stretch yet we all know the big ones.

Seriously 1950 doowop? Damn man that is rediculous. Its a like a guy I work with trying to tell me Frank S. is worth listening to. Its slow, 90% of the recordings sound like they are underwater, and no one can relate to it. And dont get it twisted, vinyl sounds better then anything digital but lets be realistic and agree today's recordings sound clearer then ones in 1950. Also technology is crap with the auto tuner.

Seriously all you need in your life is Tool and old Metallica. Seriously whats next your going to complain swing is dead?

:)

CBT
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
"It don't mean a thing,
if it ain't got that swing,
do-wop do-wop do-wop."

Swing. Kill it.

UncleLar
11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Personally I like warm and fuzzy romantic love songs,like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbcMXJdGc0w

TAKEDOWN
11-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree with you on the 50's, Dom. You can see I got my kid into it too! I can see my self cruisin a merc chopped "lead sled" and a chopped bobber, with the slick hair to match. My other favorite era would have to be the roaring twenties.

justbob
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I agree with you on the 50's, Dom. You can see I got my kid into it too! I can see my self cruisin a merc chopped "lead sled" and a chopped bobber, with the slick hair to match. My other favorite era would have to be the roaring twenties.

Slick hair?? What on the back and sides?:lol:chachacha chia
Just kidding buddy i'm already there!!

CBT
11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I shouldn't knock anyones musical taste. Mine runs the full spectrum. I can go from Tu Pacs "Holla if ya hear me" to Enyas "Orinco Flow" to Metallica's "Seek and Destroy" to The Bee Gees "Stayin Alive" in that order. The only thing I will NOT tolerate is Rush. Those bastards ***** my Mom when I was 4. Well, maybe not, but that's the only thing I can figure as to why I feel like putting my fist thru whatever Rush is coming out of.

justbob
11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Rush-Subdivisions:rock:

Sorry had to.:D Its the only one i like.

sd8683
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Personally I like warm and fuzzy romantic love songs,like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbcMXJdGc0w

My old man was in vietman with the drummer to that band

CBT
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Dom try this one. Kind of has a late 50's early 60's vibe slightly rockabilly style. Simple lyrics. The original video sucks, this version is much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUdJFbK3Fg

Motorhead350
11-11-2008, 12:42 AM
You need to expand your horizons!

I actually like a lot of different types of music, but nothing does it like 70s Punk and Doo Wop. I like Swing, Blues, Country (40s, 50s and Hank III) Rock N' Roll, Doo Wop, Rockabilly, SURF, R&B, Soul (sometimes) Motown, Bubble Gum Girl Groups (The Crystals) early British Invasion (Beatles, Kinks, exc) Boogie Woogie, Southern Swing, Psychobilly, 70's Punk, early 80's Punk, Ska (only like 2 bands) 90s Rock (Green Day we used to know from the 90s and Nirvana a lot) 80s Rap (N.W.A. , Run D.M.C. The Fat Boys, Beastie Boys) Hard Rock (sometimes).... see I like a lot of stuff, but we all have our favorites. The problem fans of my favorites are a dying breed.

Thanks for liking my band bro. Check out the page and look at the song Bridge Burner... it's what we call Psycho Surf, I am really pushing it for chase scenes in up and coming car movies! www.myspace.com/StangStomper

fastblackmerc
11-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Dude stop clinging to the past. If the music is good it will endure. Do you think classical or opera is main stream? At a time it was but not anymore by a stretch yet we all know the big ones.

Seriously 1950 doowop? Damn man that is rediculous. Its a like a guy I work with trying to tell me Frank S. is worth listening to. Its slow, 90% of the recordings sound like they are underwater, and no one can relate to it. And dont get it twisted, vinyl sounds better then anything digital but lets be realistic and agree today's recordings sound clearer then ones in 1950. Also technology is crap with the auto tuner.

Seriously all you need in your life is Tool and old Metallica. Seriously whats next your going to complain swing is dead?

:)

What's wrong with Doo Wop? At least they didn't sing about killing people, hoes, big butts, rape, how I'm gonna F you up, and all the other crap out now.....

Motorhead350
11-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Before you know it the oldies station will be completely dead. I guess by oldies it means the music must be 25 years old so I guess bands like boston and rush are now oldies music. Oldies is an era of music, not an age and oldies are really from 1954-1962 and by Oldies I mean Rock N' Roll and anything related to it. Before you know it common oldies songs will be forgotten oldies and only be played on the weekends when someone dies. The first time I heard this song I cried (yes I did) because of the lyrics and how sweet the melody was... than again I was eight and riding in the Blazer before it had 40,000 miles on it.

Just imagine, not long from now we'll be lucky to hear a song like this... I think it's already pretty much gone from FM, but I remember hearing it a lot in the 90s on the oldies stations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201Joshj6AQ

TAKEDOWN
11-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Oldies will never be forgotten! All Americana!!!!

KillJoy
11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Check out the page and look at the song Bridge Burner

Wow... I just call it "Untitled Track #2".

:D

KillJoy

;)