PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Garage door Died.

Aren Jay
11-13-2008, 08:53 PM

BigCars4Ever
11-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Be thankfull. When that happened to me the door fell on my hood and dented it. Now I wait for the door to be up and stationary before I pull in or out!

fastblackmerc
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Does the chain look like a bicycle chain? If so go to a bike shop and get a new link.

Aren Jay
11-15-2008, 12:22 AM

hot-rauder
11-15-2008, 12:26 AM
if the pin in the link broke, go to a bike shop and buy a new master link and chain breaker.... would take about 20 minutes to fix

sanco
11-15-2008, 11:01 AM
our motor died in our garage door, my dad and i just replaced the whole top system. its really not that hard once you have one there, little tinkering here and there but it was only about a solid 3-4 hour job including calibrating it and stuff.

my garage door scare probably beats anyone's...check this out...i open the garage door (the person entrance not the main door) and as i turn around to lock the door i press the button to open the main door. when that happened i heard a VERY LOUD bang. i turned around after shytting my pants and i found the door spring that you see on the left and right sides of the garage snapped off from its mounting location, flew across the garage, nearly missed my head and when it fell missed my car. not a scratch on me or my car. i would HATE to see what would happen if it hit me :(

so for everyone reading my story please go out and buy the security lock for the springs. its a small wire that goes through the spring, takes several mins to install, but it will prevent the spring from flying off and, god forbid, hitting a car or someone you love.

Aren Jay
11-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Hotrauder
11-16-2008, 04:15 PM
If I wasn't about to move I would get a Manual garage door.

Any chance you are related to Meathead 350? :dunno:Dennis

KillJoy
11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
We had a lightening strike not too long ago. It took out our Garage Door Opener, as well as some other things. We got lucky, in that we had a Chamberlin. Home Depot sells these. I was able to just swap the Head Unit and Remotes. 4 Bolts, one retaining Nut and programming the new Remotes, and it was done.... under an hour and ez pz.

:up:

KillJoy

TJCOX
11-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Get a chamberlin belt drive?

fastblackmerc
11-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Last time I replaced the opener I got a Craftsman / Sears gear drive. Very quiet, nothing to adjust or stretch.