PDA

View Full Version : Ford Truck warranty help...

Breadfan
11-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey all, I was hoping someone could help give some guidance and/or tips on a possible warranty issue with a 2001 Ford F250. This is my dad's truck, '01 F250 superduty, 4wd, gas V10.

Anyway, it developed an exhaust leak a little while back. It's due for emissions this December, and knowing it wouldn't pass, I took a closer look at it to find the leak and hopefully fix it.

What I found was on the passenger side manifold, the studs going into the head - some are missing, and one is broken. 2 appear the be missing (or are broken inside the head) and one has the nut broken off. On the driver side, there is one missing, but the rest look OK.

The leak is definitly on the passenger side. While looking up parts costs, and procedures on the net, I came across a LARGE amount of returns in Google regarding rusted manifold bolts. It appears this is a fairly major problem with these trucks, a TSB exists, and there are many cases of this defect. The fix appears to be replacing the studs with stainless steel ones.

Anyway...this thread is a real good summary of the issue, and the kinds of problems people are experiencing. Also in this, are debates regarding warranty coverage of this problem.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=31535 (http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?%26t=31535)

In my eyes, this is an emissions problem becuase the truck will not pass emissions. I also think it's kinda shoddy to have manifold bolts rust out so quickly. Since the cost to repair could be very high due to broken bolt extraction, I'd like to get this covered.

His truck has 70k on it.

Some seem to feel this may be covered by the 8/80,0000 emissions warranty. But I read the 2001 warranty booklet and it's not really that clear. Also, in the thread, some indicated mixed responses from dealers - some agreed and covered it, some did not.

Can someone please give me guidance on whether or not Ford will cover and or assist in repairing this defect for us? Also, any CAM'mers with dealer recommendations or ties to service writers or shops I can call to discuss this issue.

He bought this truck used about 4 years ago and it has not been abused by him, it's otherwise been one heck of a truck, but come'on an exhaust leak this early and busted manifold bolts taht were never touched is kinda tough.

Thoughts?

Bradley G
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Eight years old, right on the border of the emissions warranty.
If you have developed a relationship with a dealer doing your scheduled maintenence, they can elect to spend some goodwill money on your behalf.
If nothing is in it for them, don't be suprised if they denigh your repair.
If the dealers are no help I would check out a competent exhaust shop, the labor rate is usually a fraction what the dealers charge.
It's not like that would be somthing past thier means.
I don't think it is that uncommon, to have ***** going wrong after eight years of service.
Best of luck Breadfan

Breadfan
11-18-2008, 04:42 PM
\
I don't think it is that uncommon, to have ***** going wrong after eight years of service.

I can agree w/ that...but...I woulda figured we'd know how to make manifold studs by now. :)

Thanks for the tips!