PDA

View Full Version : What were they smoking in 1970?

CBT
11-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Cool car, but by far the gu-AYEST commercial ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5LIz7j-IvU

O's Fan Rich
11-20-2008, 03:41 PM
That is one of the COOLEST commercial's ever!
You know nothing!!!
I declare FAIL on you CBT!!!!
Besides I was like 8 when that came out......

Motorhead350
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I bet that song could have been a hit with The Rip Chords if it came out in 1966 and wasn't such a commercial!

Oh wait they did have a GTO song! Dua! That's where it was ripped off from. Wait no it was Ronnie and The Daytonas. Yes I had to look it up to be sure on the artist and I was off on the year too... 1964, not 1966... wow today is a bad day for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44kg0IENTPU

justbob
11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Sorry CBT but i have too......That comercial is just the way things were. Plus i really wanted to use my newest pic.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/marauding4life/failurethread.jpg

BODYMAN
11-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Whatever they were smoking must have been some good stuff. They built some pretty nice cars back then, or should I say pretty fast, quality definetly wasnt job1
Hey JUSTBOB you dont use that thread to keep youre car together do you?:D

CBT
11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
LOL! Yeah yeah I love you guys too! 1970 was a great year cause I was born in it. :cool:

CROWNMARAUDER
11-20-2008, 04:29 PM
That is a 1969 GTO judge in the commercial.

justbob
11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey JUSTBOB you dont use that thread to keep youre car together do you?:D

Only for the seat of my pants!:D

ImpalaSlayer
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
that is very gay

TAKEDOWN
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
MOON FLOWER... THAT COMMERCIAL IS SOOO GroOvY

knine
11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I get to use this TWICE this year, thanks CBT.

03calitejas
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Wondering if that was Paul Revere and the Raiders...ok so it wasnt all macho but dang...people who actually lived thru the 70's can smile at the commercial like its a time capsule..and in the 70's people smoked a lot of acapulco gold...or so I'm told :)

and I can't help it Impala Slayer...I had to suppress a laugh seeing you comment on how gay it was and then looking at your mary kay pink marauder...

By the way- I shot down an SS Impala and a nutball in a Bimmer 750i within about 30 minutes of each other on Sunday...life is good

justbob
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh i so stole that one. Thanks Knine.:D

justbob
11-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Acapulco gold is............................ .........bad a** weed.

Straight from Blind melon chitlan and his yellow boot feet..

OK if you are too young to know this then check out some of the old cheech and chong audio tapes. Thats right tapes, thats what cd's replaced. God i'm getting old.

finster101
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Looked like a clip from "The Monkeys"

TJCOX
11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
They call it mellow yellow?

Bluerauder
11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Wondering if that was Paul Revere and the Raiders...
Could be .... Paul Revere and the Raiders top years were '65-'71. Revolutionary War uniforms were their trademark. Interesting choice of title for the thread since one of their biggest hits "Kicks" in 1966 was actually an anti-drug message.

As to the commercial .... it tells you everything you need to know about the car ... Hurst shifter, 3 speed or 4 ..... 400 cu in .... rear spoiler/airfoil. Only remember them in Orange. Have seen them in Black and White since then.

Regarding the JUDGE, I remember the Flip Wilson commercials ... "Here come da Judge ... Here come da Judge." :rofl:

O's Fan Rich
11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
frickin' kids these days.....

Motorhead350
11-20-2008, 10:27 PM
frickin' kids these days.....

Seriously......

Vortex
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Its Mark Lindsey and Paul Revere and the Raiders. The car looks like a 1969 GTO to me. 400 HO Ram Air III could be quite the torque monster back in the day.

SC Cheesehead
11-21-2008, 08:37 AM
I bet that song could have been a hit with The Rip Chords if it came out in 1966 and wasn't such a commercial!

Oh wait they did have a GTO song! Dua! That's where it was ripped off from. Wait no it was Ronnie and The Daytonas. Yes I had to look it up to be sure on the artist and I was off on the year too... 1964, not 1966... wow today is a bad day for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44kg0IENTPU:rolleyes:

Dom, thanks for posting the clip. I had a blue '65 (guess I've got a thing about blue cars...:rolleyes:) that I'd love to have back.

BTW, I think that may have been Paul Revere and the Raiders singing in the Judge commecial, that one guy sure looked like Mark Lindsey.

SILVERSURFER03
11-24-2008, 01:10 PM
wow i was 1 brrrrr very weird commercial im glad theve gotten better

UncleLar
11-24-2008, 02:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Dom, thanks for posting the clip. I had a blue '65 (guess I've got a thing about blue cars...:rolleyes:) that I'd love to have back.

BTW, I think that may have been Paul Revere and the Raiders singing in the Judge commecial, that one guy sure looked like Mark Lindsey.
Looked like the Raiders to me too but then I'm not sure if I remember parts of 1970 or it's just hallucinations.
65 Goat,ah,the only year that looked good!

03calitejas
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
only year they looked good? sigh...65's do rock but I love the 67 with the mesh grille and the wicked tail lights...I know they went to the 400 cube motor that year and the tri power was gone but for looks alone I like the red hardtop with black naughahyde

BODYMAN
11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Only for the seat of my pants!:D

you win! now thats the answer I was looking for!:beer::beer:

UncleLar
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
only year they looked good? sigh...65's do rock but I love the 67 with the mesh grille and the wicked tail lights...I know they went to the 400 cube motor that year and the tri power was gone but for looks alone I like the red hardtop with black naughahyde
Man,when the 65's came out I was living in a little bitty town with about 2500 people and there was a chick about 3 years older than we were that was one stone fox of a brunette,I mean the hottest girl for miles in any direction and we'd drool every time we saw her.One day her daddy bought her a brand new 65 GTO,Red with a Black vinyl top and a black interior.We went nuts when we first saw her in it,there was our dream girl in the hottest looking car we'd ever seen.:bows: And then it happened,we got up the nerve to actually talk to her and got a good look at the car and found out she'd broken our hearts,she wasn't true to our dreams,that gorgeous Goat had an (it still hurts to say it) AUTOMATIC TRANS in it.:eek: Was nothing sacred? Patty Helton,you crushed our teen age hearts!:bigcry:

Joe Walsh
11-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Wondering if that was Paul Revere and the Raiders...ok so it wasnt all macho but dang...people who actually lived thru the 70's can smile at the commercial like its a time capsule..and in the 70's people smoked a lot of acapulco gold...or so I'm told :)

Could be .... Paul Revere and the Raiders top years were '65-'71

Its Mark Lindsey and Paul Revere and the Raiders.

:rolleyes:

Gentlemen, upon watching the commercial clip, I too, thought that it was Paul Revere and the Raiders....BUT it can't be!

That song is so GAY that it has to be Paul Revere and the Butt Raiders!

SC Cheesehead
11-25-2008, 06:49 AM

Actually, as much as I liked my 65, I thought the 67's were the best looking, too.

Man,when the 65's came out I was living in a little bitty town with about 2500 people and there was a chick about 3 years older than we were that was one stone fox of a brunette,I mean the hottest girl for miles in any direction and we'd drool every time we saw her.One day her daddy bought her a brand new 65 GTO,Red with a Black vinyl top and a black interior.We went nuts when we first saw her in it,there was our dream girl in the hottest looking car we'd ever seen.:bows: And then it happened,we got up the nerve to actually talk to her and got a good look at the car and found out she'd broken our hearts,she wasn't true to our dreams,that gorgeous Goat had an (it still hurts to say it) AUTOMATIC TRANS in it.:eek: Was nothing sacred? Patty Helton,you crushed our teen age hearts!:bigcry:

Not only an automatic, but a two speed! :rolleyes: Mine was a 4 bbl 4 speed. I had a chance to ride in a couple automatics and they were slugs, the car was definitely meant for a four speed.