PDA

View Full Version : Mid-size SUV input

Eric91Z
11-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Well, I have checked model specific forums, reasearched other sites, and thought I would ask here.

Once I sell the Marauder I am looking to pick up a mid-size SUV that will be used for some winter driving, some mild off-roading, and camping/fishing trips. I would like something that could tow a small trailer or small boat. And I want something that will fit in a garage. And I want an SUV, not a truck.

Given that, I have narrowed my choices down to the following two:

- Nissan Xterra Off-Road
- Toyota 4Runner Sport (either V6 or V8)

I was just wondering if anyone on here has owned a newer version of either of those and if so can you give your input on it? How did you like it? What problems did you have? General thoughts on them?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

CROWNMARAUDER
11-21-2008, 08:50 AM
My uncle has an 04 4runner V-6 that he bought brand new. Never had a single problem & he loves the truck. I had a 98 & it was also trouble free.

Aren Jay
11-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Rocknthehawk
11-21-2008, 09:12 AM
My brother had an xterra, and to sum it up, it sucked. horrible gas mileage, and horrible in the snow/ice. A coworker bought one, owned it for a month, and sold it, he didn't like it either.

my brother is MUCH happier now with his fx4 level 2 ranger

CoreyM75
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
My wife drives a 06 V-6 4Runner Sport and she loves it. I like as much as I can like a Toyota. It is as good as it can be in the snow and ice. The fuel mileage is arround 18 in the city and 22ish on the highway. The truck does have a full frame and is not too truck like on the road. I have towed a large Uhaul trailer with it and it does that well. I do not like the headroom (I am 6 ft 2 ) compared to my CV, but it is not that bad. We test drove all the comparable sized SUV's before buying the Toyota and the next best was the GMC Envoy / Trailblazer. The Nissan is a pile of junk and the worst that we drove. The Chevy / GMC were the cheapest used and that was where we were leaning until we found the right Toyota. The Ford Explorer is not as nice as either the Envoy or the 4Runner in ride quality or interior size. I wish we had looked at a Aviator, but there was a lack of them (big fat zero under 50k miles) within 100 miles of us.

The V-6 4Runner is almost as fast as the V-8, but gets much better gas mileage. I could barely notice the difference between them.

CanadaMarauder
11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I have an older Xterra and yes crap gas mileage. I like the size of the vehicle for the dog and all the stuff and wife likes how high you sit up.
Complaints consist of power sucks, gas mileage sucks and mine is a fake 4wd no limited slip or front locker.
It is very hard to find a SUV that is the same size inside at the xterra though.
If I was to buy a new vehicle it would be a Mariner just so I could have 2 Mercs in the driveway :)

Raudermaster
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I have no personal experience with them, but know people who like them. The 4Runner V8 blows with fuel economy, and another guy I know has an Xterra S/C (factory for you who don't know about them.) and loves it. Does good offroading he says and the mileage ain't too bad if you're not in boost constantly.

Eric91Z
11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
My biggest toss up with the V6 vs. V8 in the Toyota would be in how much towing I actually think I would do with it. Otherwise the slightly better gas mileage of the V6 would be nice.

As for the Xterra, I would be looking at a newer one with the newer V6 and some upgrades. I do like a lot of the interior space, rear cargo storage options, and the nice roof rack.

On the other hand, the Toyota has a good reputation and excellent aftermarket support - if I decided I wanted to have a little fun with it. Another thing I like is the idea that you can actually get leather for the interior as this would probably be the nicest vehicle I would own as the Crown Vic will remain my daily driver/commute vehicle. The locking diffs, skid plates, hill assist, hill descent, etc are nice features.

I am hoping to get out and test drive both of them this weekend, but the local Nissan dealership only has 2 in stock and i think both are S models and not the Off Road version I want to check out. I like the exterior looks of both, so it comes down to drive, handling, features, etc...

I do appreciate the input so far!

Eric91Z
11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I have no personal experience with them, but know people who like them. The 4Runner V8 blows with fuel economy, and another guy I know has an Xterra S/C (factory for you who don't know about them.) and loves it. Does good offroading he says and the mileage ain't too bad if you're not in boost constantly.

I know those with the V8 4R are saying they are getting mid-to-high teens for highway gas mileage. They are said to have much better torque (and load leveling in the Limited model) for towing, but horsepower is about the same. And both Toyota and Nissan make very nice V6 motors. Some are noting they get low-20's in both the V6 4R and the Xterra on the highway. So no worse or better than the Crown Vic.

From what I have heard, the first generation Xterra's were not all that great, but those that own the later 2nd Generation Xterras are quite happy with them.

I do see the 4R as being a little more sophisticated and upscale which ends up showing in the price difference. The Xterra may be a little more bare bones basic, but seems to have nice features. Guess I will get a better feel this weekend as I want to get out and test drive both of them back to back.

O's Fan Rich
11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
What's wrong with an Envoy?

JAYSILVER04
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
The 4Runner with the V8 is full time 4wd with a lockable low. The V6 has 2wd mode and 4hi & 4Lo. If you aren't towing, the V6 is perfect. My sister has a 4Runner Sport V6 and loves it. The Xterra is an entry level offroader and feels like it too. Very cheap interiors with hard plastics and rattles.The 4Runner is much more refined. You will notice the difference right off the bat when you drive them both back to back.Good luck!!

Raudermaster
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
What's wrong with an Envoy?

It's a GM. And the fact that them and the Trailblazer's blow. My relatives have had a few (Envoy and TB) and hated them both. And it seems like he already has an idea of the 2 he wants.

TAKEDOWN
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
It sucks to hear that you're selling the MM, not a fan of any of the selections you chose, but I DO RESPECT that Nissan Xterra. I've seen first hand what that thing is capable of and I'll never forget it.