PDA

View Full Version : 45 years ago today...

Blk Mamba
11-22-2008, 02:03 PM
...I was in school, mid morning, and I had just been sent to the office for teachers supplies, or something. The radio was on and I heard the broadcaster say that the President had been shot. The secretary noticed I was there and sent me back to class. When I returned to class I told everyone that the Pres. had been shot. The teacher said for me to shut up, and don't talk like that, (really giving me hell), then the public address system came on and made the announcement that changed the world....

Blk Mamba
11-22-2008, 02:55 PM
...funny thing, on that Sunday, I sat on my grandmothers living room floor, and watched Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald, on live TV.

Cobra25
11-22-2008, 03:41 PM
It was a sad day for everyone.

Bluerauder
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Our memories are similar ..... I was in school too (8th Grade, I think) when the Principal came down and asked our teacher to step out into the hall. She was only out there about a minute and came back in crying. Once she gained her composure, she made the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas and was in grave condition. About 15 minutes later, the bell rang and dismissed the entire school for the rest of the day. We learned later in the day on the news that President Kennedy had died and that VP Johnson was sworn in as President aboard Air Force 1.

On Sunday morning, I was watching TV as they were transferring Lee Harvey Oswald .... I didn't believe it when I saw Jack Ruby step out of the crowd and shoot him. I yelled to my parents and said the "They shot him" .... they didn't understand that I was talking about Oswald until I told them to come into the living room.

Everyone was in disbelief for a week until after the huge funeral in Washington, DC. Can't believe that it has been 45 years.

... 9

Marauderman
11-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah...was in 10th grade same stuff...I got to go to his inauguration and then his end.....also its been 29 years today since My DAD was Killed in a car wreck on Turkey Day back then--..yeah..more than one way to remember such a BAD Day!!...carry on...

Blk Mamba
11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah...was in 10th grade same stuff...I got to go to his his inauguration and then his end.....also its been 29 years vtoday since My DAD was Killed in a car wreck on Turkey Day back then--..yeah..more than one way to remember such a BAD Day!!...carry on...

I'm very sorry for your personal loss on this day, makes it hard to (not forget, but put the loss to the side a bit).

Bigdogjim
11-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I was in 8th grade and remember they sent us home early.

Sad day indeed.

n3fvg
11-22-2008, 05:52 PM
...I was in school, mid morning, and I had just been sent to the office for teachers supplies, or something. The radio was on and I heard the broadcaster say that the President had been shot. The secretary noticed I was there and sent me back to class. When I returned to class I told everyone that the Pres. had been shot. The teacher said for me to shut up, and don't talk like that, (really giving me hell), then the public address system came on and made the announcement that changed the world....

I was still in diapers ;)

PRCARGUY
11-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I was too young to understand when it happen but knew something was not right.

cruzer
11-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I was co-pilot on a designated crew from American Airlines that flew back-up for Air Force One--our crew was supposed to fly the Secret Service from DCA to DAL that day. I had spent a lay-over in Tulsa and blew an engine on T/O out of Tulsa, so I couldn't make it. We got a quick engine change (Tulsa was our main overhaul base) and were on our way to NY when President Kennedy was shot. Since we flew back-up, I had radio frequencies for AF One. About an hour after the shots were fired, I tried to contact AF One--hoping someone would be monitoring the radio on the ground in DAL. After 3 calls, with no answer, a loud and clear voice came on and said " Discontinue any attempts to contact on this frequency--it will be deactivated in 10 minutes--tune in to civilian radio for more information". We immediately tuned in WFAA in DAL and heard the news. The Captain decided not to tell the passengers until we had reached the gate. Since he knew I was supposed to fly that trip, he told me to make the PA. When I announced the President's death, there were a few hushed screams, total silence and then the sound of sobbing began--everyone filed off --shock and confusion was in everbody's expressions. They had set up hundreds of TV sets in the terminal and everyone just stared at them and wandered around in shock. It was a few hours before I could feel safe to drive home---then I went home and wept with my family. I knew President Kennedy personally--was with him when the last phase of the Cuban Missle Crisis came to a head (but that's another story) . I often sit and wonder what a different world this would be today if he had lived--there will never be another Camelot for this country. I will always cherish the brief times I was able to spend with him--he was a man of great vision--But now, it's all history--I hope future generations will be taught to remember him for the great things he accomplished that made the USA a better place to live, Maury

Marauderman
11-23-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm very sorry for your personal loss on this day,

Thanks for your thoughs ...nice of you to mentioned....

makes it hard to (not forget,

....yeah, it does with such another highlighted day of someones else too!!
again..thanks..

but put the loss to the side a bit).

.not sure what you mean or where your going with that statement....but have definately had alot of time to put ..."the loss to the side a bit"...as you say....

Pops
11-23-2008, 08:11 AM
I was in third grade if I have it right and still remember the teacher answering the phone. This was a 2 room school house with kindergarton thru 1st grade in the same room. She did not mince any words and told us right away. It was awful quiet in that room!

Blk Mamba
11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
.not sure what you mean or where your going with that statement....but have definately had alot of time to put ..."the loss to the side a bit"...as you say....

It is hard to say, but sometimes it's nice that the memory is not always gnawing at the back of your mind, and then some a$$ like me brings it to light once again.

CRUZTAKER
11-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I was in 8th grade and remember they sent us home early.

Sad day indeed.

I was in third grade if I have it right and still remember the teacher answering the phone. This was a 2 room school house with kindergarton thru 1st grade in the same room. She did not mince any words and told us right away. It was awful quiet in that room!

How is you two are a year apart and one was in third grade and the other eighth? :P

SC Cheesehead
11-23-2008, 08:11 PM

If I recall, I was in 6th grade at the time. We had just come in from noon recess, and the principle came to our room and called our teacher out; he then told us all to go back outside.

About 10 minutes later, we were called back in, and the announcement came in over the PA. Everyone was stunned, the teacher was crying, some of the girls started crying as well. The images are still burned in my mind.

Eight years ago I ended up in downtown Dallas at a business convention and took off one afternoon to tour the plaza, eerie feeling, all those thoughts and images came right back...

Vortex
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I was a kid living at Darnstadt, Germany back then. I remember hearing about it on armed forces radio as tv was only on for a few hours every day and it was in german anyway.

juno
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
...funny thing, on that Sunday, I sat on my grandmothers living room floor, and watched Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald, on live TV.

That is too weird. My mom was having my little sister and I was sitting on the floor, with my grandmother watching us, and I watched that also. I was too young to fully know what it all meant. I knew who he was and what the president was but I could feel the sense of tragedy in the air from the adults.

John and Bobby had met my family just a few years before during his campaign. My older brother had organized the 'Young democrats' for NH (very small in NH at that time :) ). Unfortunately I was 2 then and don't remember that.

Marauderman
11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
It is hard to say, but sometimes it's nice that the memory is not always gnawing at the back of your mind, and then some a$$ like me brings it to light once again.

I understand what you mean----but I brought it up not you----not a problem--and thanks again--its difficult to always understand a one-way media as this--feelings are not always felt thru the keys so to speak---I know ---it was just a coincidence of happening the same day.....