PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know much about a Heil Furnace?

NOMARQUIS
11-22-2008, 04:52 PM
My place is 7 years old and I have a Heil furnace and a Honeywell programmable thermostat. I've noticed that yesterday my furnace only goes 2-5 minutes between cycles. I don't remember it running that much before. I've changed the batteries in the t-stat and have a good filter. I have my heat set to 64 degrees and it was 15 degrees last night for a low. Even though it runs too much, it keeps the temp up and seems to be working properly. It never gets too hot. I notice that if I turn the switch on and off, it seems to cycle correctly for 1/2 hour. I checked my drain tubes for excessive condensation, and one of them seems to have a lot of water in it.

Any HVAC techs out there? I have an appointment set for Monday, but I'd like to avoid the 185 dollar per hour charge. I'd guess it's some sort of sensor problem, or maybe its normal. During the day, it's beer cycling 5-7 minutes and it's in the low 30's for temp. If anyone can help, thank you in advance.

:flamer:

rayjay
11-23-2008, 02:22 AM
What is your variation set at on your themostat? Running every 15 minutes is not normal at 15 degrees.

vmaxmarauder
11-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Sounds like its short cycling. First thing you might want to do is clean it dust and dirt are usually the main culprit. Shut power off! should be a switch near front by doors if not hit the breaker. remove front doors, can be a pain. check that power is off. Clean where burners meet the gas manifold with pipe cleaner or small wire,check hoses from ventor motor to pressure switch you can take it off and blow through it check for cracks replace. there should be a flame sensor near back off burners either 1/4 or 5/16 head screw if you can remove it and clean with steel wool or sandpaper careful the ceramic is brittle you can do this to the ignitor too if you have one. Now if you have a shopvac you can put on blow and blow out the burners and compartments. Then take a paintbrush and dust off all connections and the board very lightly! Vacuum any left over dust up. Now check all connections spades be sure they are all on and tight. Now if you feel comfortable! You can put a jumper wire from Y to R this will bypass the thermostat. NOW put tape over door safety switch, turn on power and furnace should cycle. If problem continues look at board, it will flash a code. on back of doors there is usually definitions for flashes on board ie, pressure switch. if this clean n check solves problem turn power off remove jumper wire and tape over switch, button up doors your done. if problem comes back after that could be your thermostat.