PDA

View Full Version : GPS unit or Verizon VZNavigator.

MarauderVOL
11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm considering getting 1 for work due to all of the driving I do. Has anyone tried the VZNavigator that comes as a $10 mth option on a cell phone? Just wondering how it works or should I just purchase a good GPS unit? Thanks.

STLR FN
11-26-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm considering getting 1 for work due to all of the driving I do. Has anyone tried the VZNavigator that comes as a $10 mth option on a cell phone? Just wondering how it works or should I just purchase a good GPS unit? Thanks.
Have it and love it. Very accurate to 150ft.

DEFYANT
11-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Tough choice. I have both. I run with the GPS on the dash. But the VZNav works well in a pinch.

Hacklemerc
11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I just got the VZNavigator, I haven't used it yet but it looks cool.

Rocknthehawk
11-27-2008, 12:34 AM
cheap navi unit...walmart has a garmin advertised for $97 on black friday.

Starman
11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I used TeleNav GPS in my cell in May when I was in the DC/Northern Virginia area. Never let me down. Easy to use!

Agent M79
11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
How does VZNav work while you are on a phone call?

Spectragod
11-28-2008, 07:24 AM
I use DeLoramie, $100 or less including the antenna, I use a CF30 toughbook for mine, 13.3" display is the way to go.

SILVERSURFER03
11-28-2008, 08:12 AM
i use vznav..all stuff it has to offer works great.. i use it all the time never lets me down....(no fail) love it and lots of bang for the buck

SMOKE
11-28-2008, 08:20 AM
VZ works and is accurate. Best if you don't care to stare at a display and can just concentrate on what you are being told (although if you aren't driving and can work with the phone there are ways to view different aspects of the route on a map). My experience is on a Blackberry, so I'm not sure what the VZ looks like on a flip or smaller display.

My first choice is always my Garmin. Both VZ and Garmin are as accurate as each other, however if you try to fire up a route on the fly - I found the VZ service has MUCH more trouble catching up to where I am, where I need to turn next, etc - to get on a route. That, and there is a comparable amount of calculation time on both - but maybe just a tic more on the VZ.

I can say I have no idea how we used to do it without these things. I think my favorite aspect of the technology is having a calculated arrival time always at hand. Very handy if you are going to be late for a meeting to at least give a decent ballpark time on when you should actually arrive!

Jonathan

MarauderVOL
11-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. I decided to go ahead and get a Garmin Nuvi 205 since it was greatly reduced for black Friday at Best Buy.

Spectragod
11-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. I decided to go ahead and get a Garmin Nuvi 205 since it was greatly reduced for black Friday at Best Buy.

There were some smokin' deals to be had, glad you found your what you were looking for.