PDA

View Full Version : Network Adapter Help

MM2004
11-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I am currently running a Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad processor @ 2.4GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, two SATA II 500G HDD's and an integrated Intel 10/100 nic.

The machine is a dual-boot system (WinXp Pro and Vista Home Premium - 32bit)

I added an Intel Pro 10/100/1000 nic to the machine (PCI) and at boot, recive an error stating "AHCI BIOS Not Installed!!"

I have disabled the onboard nic, rebooted and still receive this message?

The BIOS is at the latest release also.

Right now, I am running on the added nic but cannot figure this one out??

I have googled this error for the past hour to no avail.

Anybody have an idea as to the cause? And what the solution would be?

I only receive this error when the PCI card is installed.

I am plannig on going to a gigabit network and would like to get this resolved.

Thanks,

Mike.

KillJoy
11-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Disable AHCI in BIOS?

:dunno:

KillJoy

MM2004
11-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Disable AHCI in BIOS?

:dunno:

KillJoy

I cannot find AHCI in the BIOS to disable. The HDD's are set to SATA IDE. Only other choice is RAID.

I only recive this error when the Intel Pro 1000 GT nic is installed??

Again, everything works fine just don't know how to resolve, nor have I seen this before.

Mike.

KillJoy
11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Disable RAID SATA and ATA Bios?

KillJoy

gja
11-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you have a BIOS memory range conflict. The 2 adapters are both trying to load their code into the same memory register range. I must admit this is odd with a PCI card in a modern system, but not unheard of.
Some things to do:
1. Be sure you have the correct and newest BIOS for your motherboard/system. Often this will resolve incompatibility issues such as this.

2. It looks like the machine's BIOS has mis-assigned PCI I/O space.
The BIOS is supposed to do this, and it isn't supposed to leave any devices overlapping each other. The addresses chosen by the BIOS are typically influenced by what slot each board is in. Rearranging slots might fix the problem.

Try finding the selection in your BIOS to reset PCI configuration data. Most BIOS's have a "Reset System Configuration Data" or "Reset Extended Configuration Data" option in the CMOS setup. It's always "DISABLED" by default. It's primary purpose is to recover from memory or port allocation errors that leave the machine unbootable. It will also fix overlapping memory map assignments. Set it to "Enabled", save the settings, and power down the machine. When it boots, the BIOS may announce that the ESCD has been reset. With any luck, it should then work.

Aren Jay
11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
.............................. ........

ckadiddle
12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
If you have any other open slots, try moving the new adapter to a different slot. Sometimes it solves wierd issues.

Aren Jay
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
.............................. ........