PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry: What do you think??

SID210SA
12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9440149&nav=menu509_2_4

Dr Caleb
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Define 'We'. ;)

I'm all for it, but then again, it's an alien concept to me. Why would anyone need to?

offroadkarter
12-02-2008, 01:16 PM
in PA you can open carry, my dad also has a florida concealed weapons license thats valid in i think 38 states (PA yes, NJ no because NJ is a no fun zone :D)

TAKEDOWN
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I guess, why not? The *****Heads got em to do their dirt, maybe they'll think twice, but don't you think the element of SURPRISE is better!

Vortech347
12-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I have a Utah CCW. I can open carry here if I want to.

However thats the dumbest thing to do. Your #1 advantage is concealment. To them your just another sheep walking around instead of a "threat" to take out first.

I decided just once I'd try an open carry. HOLY CRAP people freaked out. Bout 20 minutes at quizno's, it didn't go so well.

gonzo50
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I have a Utah CCW. I can open carry here if I want to.

However thats the dumbest thing to do. Your #1 advantage is concealment. To them your just another sheep walking around instead of a "threat" to take out first.

I decided just once I'd try an open carry. HOLY CRAP people freaked out. Bout 20 minutes at quizno's, it didn't go so well.

I agree, I have a Georgia CCW and thats to your advantage, "concealment".:uzi:

Embassy
12-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Well said.

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Open Carry encites panic in most sheeple, unless there is a LEO Badge near it. Even then, it draws attention.

Concealment is the best advantage to a legally permitted citizen.

:up:

KillJoy

MarauderTJA
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
My problem with an open carry policy is maintaing proper retention of a firearm.

xopher
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I can here in Wisconsin, but nobody does. I voted yes that people should be able to if they want to, but if I had my option, I would prefer concealed (which I can't here in Wisconsin :/ ) so it's not a topic of discussion.

O's Fan Rich
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I believe that only those approved by the Proletariat should be allowed to carry a weapon, or own one.

Hotrauder
12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I believe that only those approved by the Proletariat should be allowed to carry a weapon, or own one.

:shot::P :rock::woohoo::cool3::neener:: director::high5::gangster::bop : 5678 Dennis

Aren Jay
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
.............................. ........

CBT
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't carry a gun because I'm angry, I carry a gun so I won't be angry at myself later for not being prepared.:uzi:

Hacklemerc
12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't carry a gun because I'm angry, I carry a gun so I won't be angry at myself later for not being prepared.:uzi:

+1. I legally carry my off duty weapon with me everywhere I go, with a few exceptions.

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
+1. I legally carry my off duty weapon with me everywhere I go, with a few exceptions.

In Columbus, OH, if I am told correcrtly, Officers are "On Duty" 24/7-365.

I would not want that job, and am thankful for those who do.

:beer:

KillJoy

Hacklemerc
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
its the same here 24/7 365. I try to use this neat thing I have developed called "common sense" about when and where to carry. Going out to a bar where I may inbibe int he spirits.. gun stays off my person.

2003 MIB
12-02-2008, 05:11 PM

I'm inclined to agree here. I've been carrying (CCL) for about 10 years and about 5 of them were with a SOB-holstered fullsize SW 410. My daily carry now is a SW 342 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. The weather here can get warm and the ability to carry something light that doesn't leave a gun outline in clothing is a big deal to me.

I did sign the Texas petition for open carry but I don't think I'll do it much. Although...I did just buy a Ruger Alaskan 454....hmmm

ParkRanger
12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Almost always have mine concealed in LA. Either in car, or small of my back.
I believe (as most of my LEO partners) that we have a responsibility to carry in case of emergency.
Can you imagine where you are in a life or death situation and you have the training and ability to intercede but can't because you're not 417 and you or a loved one is killed (or some other innocent victim) by a low life thug and couldn't do anything about it? Wouldn't be able to live with myself! :depress:
All LEO's should be CCW -it's part of the deal!
That being said, I am critical of civilians carrying (CCW or open) w/o proper training (which most all are not) - they are accidents waiting to happen. Just seen too many AD's both in the service and police agencies - let alone civilians. The key is training.

PR :burnout:

Starman
12-02-2008, 05:17 PM
My problem with an open carry policy is maintaing proper retention of a firearm.

Amen, because how many have ever trained in weapon retention!

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm inclined to agree here. I've been carrying (CCL) for about 10 years and about 5 of them were with a SOB-holstered fullsize SW 410. My daily carry now is a SW 342 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. The weather here can get warm and the ability to carry something light that doesn't leave a gun outline in clothing is a big deal to me.

I did sign the Texas petition for open carry but I don't think I'll do it much. Although...I did just buy a Ruger Alaskan 454....hmmm

Kel-Tec 380 in a "bill-fold" holster on your strong side ;)

Convert to a weak side wallet :D

Won't even know it is there!

KillJoy

BAD MERC
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing - you think a purse-snatching is a hairy ordeal? Have somebody grab your sidearm.:flamer:

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Have somebody grab your sidearm.:flamer:

Last time I had that happen... I GOT MARRIED!!!!!

:eek:

KillJoy

CBT
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Texas isn't open carry? TEXAS? As in "Don't Mess With Texas" Texas?!? Shoot, (no pun intended. well, mebbe a lil bit) "Virginia Is For Lovers" and we can open carry. Hey does Chicago still have a ban on handguns?

Blackmobile
12-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I just went to the range today (First time in Years), and I found out I can still hit the broad side of the barn. But alass, I'm ole school...I do better with a revolver.

Ed

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I just went to the range today (First time in Years), and I found out I can still hit the broad side of the barn. But alass, I'm ole school...I do better with a revolver.

Ed

FAIL!!!!!

1911-A1 FTW!!!!

:D

KillJoy

PS - If your CCW or Daily Carry is NOT a 1911.....:shake:

2003 MIB
12-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Texas isn't open carry? TEXAS? As in "Don't Mess With Texas" Texas?!? Shoot, (no pun intended. well, mebbe a lil bit) "Virginia Is For Lovers" and we can open carry. Hey does Chicago still have a ban on handguns?

That what started this thread. There's a movement to law changed here. HOWEVER, we can have radar detectors:P

Blackmobile
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
FAIL!!!!!

1911-A1 FTW!!!!

KillJoy

PS - If your CCW or Daily Carry is NOT a 1911.....:shake:

I believe in quality not quantity, or in other words a weapon you only have to fire once.
like a grenade launcher!

MM2004
12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
1991A1 Officers.

FTW

Mike.

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I believe in quality not quantity, or in other words a weapon you only have to fire once.

So.... Smith & Wesson 460 2.75"? (http://tinyurl.com/karn5)

KillJoy

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Fail.... :(

KillJoy

Joe Walsh
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
'Open Carry'....

Are we talking about Beer or Guns???

Either way....I voted "Yes"

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Fixed.....

KillJoy

xopher
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I told a lady friend of mine she should open carry this:

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2008/january/hellokitty_ar15assault_2.jpg

p.s. it's real: http://blog.riflegear.com/archive/2007/12/26/hello-kitty-ar-15---evil-black-rifle-meets-cute-and.aspx

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I told a lady friend of mine she should open carry this:

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2008/january/hellokitty_ar15assault_2.jpg

p.s. it's real: http://blog.riflegear.com/archive/2007/12/26/hello-kitty-ar-15---evil-black-rifle-meets-cute-and.aspx

and she is in the People's Republik of Kalifornia....

:down:

KillJoy

offroadkarter
12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Why would you want to open carry?

I've been to Pakistan were the body guards all carry their Machine guns openly, mostly G3's but some AKM's and others. But all pistols are carried in shoulder holsters and everyone keeps their jacket on while they eat. Body guards wait outside the resturant surrounding it and watching.

What do you want to carry?

News flash, we dont live in Pakistan, or have body guards or Machine guns. :rolleyes:

i dont know what Calgary is like, but it sure as hell didnt sound like Pakistan.

Hacklemerc
12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Thats just awesome... I know what my next patrol rifle is....:D

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Thats just awesome... I know what my next patrol rifle is....:D

Why?

Fixed flash hider, A2 Stock and 10 Round fixed mag....

:down:

KillJoy

Hacklemerc
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
I like the Hello Kitty!!

Leadfoot281
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Say hello to my not-so-little friend...

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/th_I3010207.jpg (http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/?action=view&current=I3010207.jpg)

Kimber Custom2 M1911. Because there is no replacement for displacement! ;) :D

I don't have an issue with open carry. If it annoys just one liberal, I'm 110% in favor of it. With that being said, it's not for me. Everyone else can.

03mara300b
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Concealed is the way to go. Remember the bad guy has only one plan and you being armed and ready to defend yourself is not in the plan. If one must feel the need to open carry go with a good retention holster like the Blackhawk Serpa and get some retention training.

KillJoy
12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Say hello to my not-so-little friend...

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/th_I3010207.jpg (http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/nn378/rightwing_extremist1/?action=view&current=I3010207.jpg)

Kimber Custom2 M1911. Because there is no replacement for displacement! ;) :D

I don't have an issue with open carry. If it annoys just one liberal, I'm 110% in favor of it. With that being said, it's not for me. Everyone else can.

Mine is a Springfield 1911-A2 w/ Cutom Trigger.

The Misses is a Dan Wesson Pointman-7 (stock).

:up:

KillJoy

Pat
12-02-2008, 11:19 PM
For a Sheriff's posse member, in my parish, the policy is no open carry. The Sheriff formed the Posse as a service organization, a help to the community, to patrol, traffic assistance, food delivery, visitation of elderly shut-ins and such things. A visible of sign of the Sheriff's office in all the residential neighborhoods.

It has been very effective and the Sheriff is pleased with the results.

However, we are encouraged to carry concealed pistols in our patrol car, jacket, boot or inside a gun pouch. Many Posse member do.

Because we wear uniforms outlaws do not make the distinction so we have the means to defend ourselves.

Louisiana is an open carry state.

However, I don't feel comfortable in close proximity to a person openly carrying a hand gun if there isn't a badge on the belt.

I would be downright alarmed if a group of young men (or women) walking the city streets or strip malls or eatery's all carrying handguns in shoulder holsters, hip mounts or belt mounts, making a loud spectacle. Legal but alarming. I guess that's why handguns were banned in cities back in the wild west days.

Yet in a rural setting where it's common to open carry because of snakes, varmints or other things that go bump in the night that wouldn't alarm me at all.

Context is the key for me.

Of course there are no weapons permitted where alcohol is served.

Mike M
12-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Here in AZ you are already allowed.

My wife and I are getting our concealed permit soon.

It is amazing how many cars we work on in our shop with more then one pistol on the seat or door pouch.

TAKEDOWN
12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
It's best to have this 45 and not need it, then to need this 45 and have it, so I developed this habit of packing this automatic to handle static.

SID210SA
12-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Define 'We'. ;)

I'm all for it, but then again, it's an alien concept to me. Why would anyone need to?

As in we the people.....if your state was "thinking about its citizens to open carry.

In Columbus, OH, if I am told correcrtly, Officers are "On Duty" 24/7-365.

I would not want that job, and am thankful for those who do.

KillJoy

Here also.....Leo's are encouraged to have their weapon with them 24/7/365 unless they are drinking.

'Open Carry'....

Are we talking about Beer or Guns???

Either way....I voted "Yes"

Well we used to be able to "carry an open" beer in the vehicle as long as the driver wasnt the one drinking it. But now if you have one beer missing from a six pack the officer can consider that an open container....

Dr Caleb
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Dr Caleb
Define 'We'.

As in we the people.....if your state was "thinking about its citizens to open carry.

That's the thing - I'm in a Province, not a State. There is no 'carry' by civilians anywhere in this country. I understand we have laws that allow Civvies to carry, but it's basically impossible to get a permit unless you work for Brinks or a similar firm.

If I told you the difficulty in just getting a permit to own a firearm, you'd have steam coming out your ears. ;)

Aren Jay
12-03-2008, 10:36 AM

n3fvg
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
in PA you can open carry, my dad also has a florida concealed weapons license thats valid in i think 38 states (PA yes, NJ no because NJ is a no fun zone :D)

Actually, in PA, if you have a CCW permit and carry open, you violate the Uniform Firearms Act. The CCW requires concealed carry. PA's CCW is also accepted in several other states like Florida's, but it is not nearly 38 states. The NRA sells a pamphlet that outlines these recepricol states.

fastblackmerc
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Bet you that moron football player was concealed carry....

What an idiot!

Marauderjack
12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Bet you that moron football player was concealed carry....

What an idiot!

AND.....Glocks don't fire if ya drop 'em!!:shake: More "Football Star" BS!!!:argue:

FreddieH
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I fall under the Police Officers Safety Act H.R. 218 Which allows me to carry anywhere in the United States. I truely believe That the Element Of Surprise is the way to go being conceilled. If the S*%t hits the fan and the bad guy knows you are carrying conceilled or open carry, he is going to take you out before you ever know what hit you with his element of surprise. I have Carried conceilled since 1986 and no one has ever spotted the weapon.

Vortech347
12-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I carry an S&W 1911PD 5" in the winter when its easier to hide. Durring the summer months and 80% of my carry time is with my S&W 4040pd. Its small, easy to use, light, shoots a .40 but most importantly I can do a 3" grouping at 20" with double taps all day. My wife carries a S&W 637 38 Special. Also we both go at least once a month to practice. I think its very important you always "ready" Heh, I'm a Realtor and I ALWAYS carry. My clients never know. I got my CCW application/class done the day after I turned 21.

Aren Jay
12-03-2008, 09:26 PM

Windsor58
12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I voted yes. I have a CCW permit but would like the option for open carry for certain (limited) circumstances. I also agree that proper training is a must. When you carry, you are not only exercising your civil rights (at least in the US), you are also taking on a serious responsibility. You gotta know what you are doing.
I like the Colt 1911 Officer's model. Nice size yet still concealable in my Mitch Rosen shoulder holster. It makes nice tight groups real fast, despite the short barrel. I hear the newer 9mm rounds are much better than the old ones, but I am still hooked on 45s.

n3fvg
12-04-2008, 06:58 AM
I fall under the Police Officers Safety Act H.R. 218 Which allows me to carry anywhere in the United States. I truely believe That the Element Of Surprise is the way to go being conceilled. If the S*%t hits the fan and the bad guy knows you are carrying conceilled or open carry, he is going to take you out before you ever know what hit you with his element of surprise. I have Carried conceilled since 1986 and no one has ever spotted the weapon.

So do I, but several of our neighboring states don't "believe" in that Federal law. Take for example New Jersey, New York, and most of New England. There have been several cases already as quoted in our state's FOP bulletin of off duty active and retired police officers from Pennsylvania, coming under H.R. 218 being arrested in neighboring states for violating their state's strict carry regulations. Sure, it gets thrown out in court eventually, but one of my best friends who is a State Trooper is still waiting to get his department weapon returned, spent over $5000.00 in legal fees, and is facing disciplinary action for carrying his weapon in New Jersey. So much for Federal law in communist states!

stryker
12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Here in Puerto Rico the gun must be carried concealed except for L.E.O. who's have the option to carry open or concealed, but personally I carry concealed the "Surprise factor" can give advantage in some engagement situations a delinquent in an assault can shoot you thinking you're L.E.O. so for that reason I choose to carry my powerful Colt Govt model .45 ACP highly modified by Wilson Combat !Je je je je jeeee! that's my duty gun, and people can get scary to someone with a gun in the waist I will tell my personal experience once I was in store and I note a few clients lookin at me but I keep shopping normal a few minutes later i saw two cops entering the store and talking to one of the employes at that time I said myself Ohhh nooo Dam@# scary clients when I see one of the cops toward me and telling me to stay quiet I tell the cop "hey, hey I am L.E.O. easy I have here the badge/ID Look" when he saw the badge he apologize and tell me that a client call police telling that a man armed and suspicious enter the store with the intention to assault but the cop tell me don't worry this happens regularly and he tell me that he pass for that situation personally 4 times after that he (cop) carry his duty gun when his off duty concealed.

STRYKER :burnout:

bluesfan
12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
As far as law I wish we could be able to responsibly carry open without problems but you intiminate the average citizen and we can carry open here but it always makes you look bad in public without the uniform or badge. I have carried concealed since the early 70s with or without the paper. Not in bars or schools but I am military trained and pray I never really need a gun again. I have it so I never wish I left it at home. Most people have a problem with the reponsibility that goes with having a gun and the points made that you can become the first target is true. I have USMC plates on my vehicles and some friends have fire dept stuff but none of the people we run with that are in law enforcment have any identifying plates or logos to anounce who they are off duty. I take that as a clue from the pro people that live it everyday.