PDA

View Full Version : Just a little language thing

Vortex
12-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Ive been reading post by some of our newer members and Ive noticed alot of "disses" and "dats" and "sumpin" and "nuttin" and other stuff lately. Talking "street" or whatever it is I guess is one thing but why take the time to type "street" language when it would be just as easy to type the correct word? Im not trying to show any disrespect here (hah, the current usage really bugs me) but, well, I thought Id throw this out there for discussion.

hot-rauder
12-06-2008, 09:43 PM
nah dawg, itz actuly hrdr cuz they dnt alwayz use teh rite lettrs or skip sum of dem compltely.

i personally hate when people talk or typr like this and wish it would be banned.

come on HotRodMercury, make my day and post up. lol

TAKEDOWN
12-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't mind a couple of words I'm not that old fashioned, but when the whole paragraph is a guessing game... it really puts me in the "What the F*** are you talking about" mood!

Bigdogjim
12-07-2008, 12:16 AM
It carrys over from texting.

MM03MOK
12-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Jim has a good point. But the difference is, you know who you're texting. Anyone using this "shorthand", doesn't know the hundreds of people reading their posts. We have some members that English is not their first language, and it must be a real challenge to cypher through some posts. To a lesser extent, improper use of the English language, such as there, their, they're, punctuation and sentence structure are also challenges. If I see a really long paragraph, I'll skip that post. Too hard to read. Proofread your post, literally by reading word for word and see if you can improve your message so others can better understand it. We have a spell check feature too. Don't be afraid to us it. ;)

Ms. Denmark
12-07-2008, 06:15 AM
On the other hand it might be exactly the way they speak and helps give a mental picture of the poster. I often pick up local /regional lingo from some posts. It adds flavor. Not crazy about the cleverly misspelled profanity however.:eek:

Bluerauder
12-07-2008, 07:16 AM
It carrys over from texting.
To a certain extent, this is true. However, I believe that it goes much deeper than mere texting. Some of this can be traced directly to the school system. For years, the public school system has been emphasizing "ideas" & "self-esteem" rather than spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Many don't see the point or get the importance in their writing. You'd be surprised by the number of "illiterate" resumes I get to read on a routine basis -- yet these people think that they are qualified to be a technical writer or a study analyst.

I get texting. I understand current shorthand terms like IMHO, WTF, CYa, etc. But "illiteracy" is hard to cover up. :)
Call me harsh but I expect a High School graduate to be able to demonstrate some basic mastery of the English language. Some can't.

CBT
12-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Call me harsh but I expect a High School graduate to be able to demonstrate some basic mastery of the English language. Some can't.

Good luck, English is taught as a second language in more schools here than you'd think. Which makes me:mad2:

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Charlie,

As a recent graduate of highschool, class of 07, English is no longer emphazied in the schoool system. We were the class they tested it on. During our highschool careers, they required us to take three years of math and english, and four years of science and history. Why more experience is needed in history, is beyond me.

I was in an integrated vocational/traditional highschool. So, I could interact with both acedemic and vocational students. My junior year, I took and advanced math course, and in turn lost a period of my vocational training. However, because I lost the one period, I was no longer required to take math my senior year. I instead helped tutor the freshman and sophmore classes entering the vocational program.

English is now broken into Literature, and English. Both classes are required. The problem is that the curriculum has NOT changed. I will quote my literature teacher on the curriculum for our senior year. "Same stuff as last year, but lets use a little more detail. Nothing fancy, you guys no how to write a letter..."
And now we wonder why most kids can't spell to save their lives and believe comma means "come here".

justbob
12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Vortex, i'm glad you posted about this. It saved me from having to.

Vortex
12-07-2008, 09:24 AM
To a certain extent, this is true. However, I believe that it goes much deeper than mere texting. Some of this can be traced directly to the school system. For years, the public school system has been emphasizing "ideas" & "self-esteem" rather than spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Many don't see the point or get the importance in their writing. You'd be surprised by the number of "illiterate" resumes I get to read on a routine basis -- yet these people think that they are qualified to be a technical writer or a study analyst.

I get texting. I understand current shorthand terms like IMHO, WTF, CYa, etc. But "illiteracy" is hard to cover up. :)

I used to be involved with recruiting in my former career and the very first part of the process was to have the applicant write a three page essay on a topic of his/her choice from our our list of topics. You would be suprised how many bright young applicants couldn't write a cohesive paragraph, let alone an essay. All of our applicants were degree holders (some with Masters Degrees or higher), some were from the military academies, some from Ivy league schools ect... It was horrible. I'd bet one third of our applicants didnt make it past the essay.
It goes back to grade school and peer pressure maybe. I knew a woman who's daughter used to catch hell at school from her peers because she used correct english. Evidently it was cool to speak like an idiot. Ive heard interiews of public school teachers on television who clearly cannot speak english correctly. If I were king of the forest, one of the things Id change is get rid of public money for private schools and use that money to get the best teachers possible for public schools. Id advise states to either reduce or get rid of school districts. Anyway, my morning coffee blurb.

dpotter
12-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I guess all that constant correction from my mom, who minored in English, as I was growing up was a good thing.

Ms. Denmark
12-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I guess all that constant correction from my mom, who minored in English, as I was growing up was a good thing. Are we related???? I experienced the same thing with my mom who majored in music and minored in English. Actually I continue to experience it. LOL! Thanks Mom!! :banana:

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 10:17 AM
my mother majored in Music and i believe minored in English.... not sure of the minor though

duhtroll
12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
As an educator for going on 17 years I can tell you it is not the kids who have changed. They are still as lazy as they have always been. :) Fully 80% of teaching is being able to hold their attention for 10 minutes at a time. That's an opinion, but my professional one.

The information today's students are responsible for/have to learn is exponentially more than what we old folks had to learn. The amount of information available on this planet has been predicted to double every 11 hours or so in the very near future.

In reality, we old folks have to learn to cope with the fact that kids today are MUCH smarter than we were at that age. They just don't have the experience necessary for good judgment. Humans are evolving -- it just doesn't show in txtspeak, so to speak. :D

Since we have all this new information, people want teachers to teach all of it and are upset when kids don't get everything. Think of all of the subjects that have been added to the school curricula in the last 20 years, much less the last 50. All with the same number of staff and the same number of hours. It doesn't add up. We old folks write and spell more accurately because we didn't have terrabytes of data shoved at us through internet, phones, etc. every day. We got to sit and practice writing, something that students today do not have the luxury of doing.

I for one am tired of the posts I see on forums that begin with "well, when I was in high school we did this so that means public schools suck." That's not directed at anyone here and it's not what prompted this post, but it basically amounts to me saying I can tell a mechanic what to do because I have owned a car for 20 years, or that I understand botany because I cut my lawn every week.

I hate more than anyone reading posts that are somewhat illegible, but I am learning to cope. For those "second language learners" as someone put it, imagine if everyone were forced to correspond in more than one language. How would you do? I'd sound pretty clueless to a native speaker, and I have studied half a dozen languages in my time.

Why does school cost so much today vs. just 20 years ago? Technology, besides the aforementioned subject overload, that is. If we want to keep pace, kids need access to the tech. Why are we spending more in this country vs. other countries? A higher percentage of our population is in school, thus more $.

And for the record, all those reports that show our test score averages vs. other countries -- you might want to check and see if it's one of the many countries that only have 40% of their kids actually in school at the time, vs. 95-98% of our kids.

So, cut them a little slack. I notice misspelled words in the posts of those ranting about poor grammar, too... :P

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM
As an educator for going on 17 years I can tell you it is not the kids who have changed. They are still as lazy as they have always been. :) Fully 80% of teaching is being able to hold their attention for 10 minutes at a time. That's an opinion, but my professional one.

The information today's students are responsible for/have to learn is exponentially more than what we old folks had to learn. The amount of information available on this planet has been predicted to double every 11 hours or so in the very near future.

In reality, we old folks have to learn to cope with the fact that kids today are MUCH smarter than we were at that age. They just don't have the experience necessary for good judgment. Humans are evolving -- it just doesn't show in txtspeak, so to speak. :D

Since we have all this new information, people want teachers to teach all of it and are upset when kids don't get everything. Think of all of the subjects that have been added to the school curricula in the last 20 years, much less the last 50. All with the same number of staff and the same number of hours. It doesn't add up. We old folks write and spell more accurately because we didn't have terrabytes of data shoved at us through internet, phones, etc. every day. We got to sit and practice writing, something that students today do not have the luxury of doing.

I for one am tired of the posts I see on forums that begin with "well, when I was in high school we did this so that means public schools suck." That's not directed at anyone here and it's not what prompted this post, but it basically amounts to me saying I can tell a mechanic what to do because I have owned a car for 20 years, or that I understand botany because I cut my lawn every week.

I hate more than anyone reading posts that are somewhat illegible, but I am learning to cope. For those "second language learners" as someone put it, imagine if everyone were forced to correspond in more than one language. How would you do? I'd sound pretty clueless to a native speaker, and I have studied half a dozen languages in my time.

Why does school cost so much today vs. just 20 years ago? Technology, besides the aforementioned subject overload, that is. If we want to keep pace, kids need access to the tech. Why are we spending more in this country vs. other countries? A higher percentage of our population is in school, thus more $.

And for the record, all those reports that show our test score averages vs. other countries -- you might want to check and see if it's one of the many countries that only have 40% of their kids actually in school at the time, vs. 95-98% of our kids.

So, cut them a little slack. I notice misspelled words in the posts of those ranting about poor grammar, too... :P

I know my spelling and grammer is not perfect, and I am not blaming my school for it. I will say however that in MY school, I was held back from a lot fo the advanced courses that i was reccomended to take, because of a faulty system.

They implimented a new program called "small schools" in which I protested heavily. It not only eliminated electives but it extended each period to 73 minutes and made it so the students would have the same teachers for their entire four year high school career. The idea is so that the students will develop a stronger relationship with their teachers, but if there was a negative relationship, the student could NOT leave his/her "community."

A few teachers left due to this matter. I am saying that kids today do not like sitting for 73 minutes and getting lectured. Other teachers that tried kinetic learning simply ran the lesson and then would have too much spare time, as dumb as we may be, a lot of us move at a very fast pace.

This program contridicted everything that the school had implimented before. They said they integrated the vocation and acedemic students so that no one would feel lie the were left out, a way to deter cliques. However, this Small School idea, would in fact isolate students into individual communities. When I went to the program director for the school I was that students could not change communities, unless it was harmful to the student. I was also asked not to be negative in this matter because there was so much negativity already towards it that the school wanted to stay positive. I was told to take my t-shirt, whichc had a comical sketch about the program, and flip in because it was offensive. When the schools lawyer was called, which happened to be the same lawyer of the person producing the t-shirts, we were called in. We recieved no apology, and was infact insulted by the program director who said it was a misunderstanding.

I know your post was not directed towards me personally, but I wanted to clarify my thoughts on this.

The school has since lost its blue ribbon accreditation, and is now on one of the "failure" lists.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/DSCN0712.jpg

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM
double posts... dont mind me

I realize that when i was in high school, I didnt come off as a hot head a lot. But, I never fought without having reason.

end rant

Aren Jay
12-07-2008, 12:03 PM
.............................. ........

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
If we banned people for doing this, then we might have to ban people for bad spelling or incorrect word use or bad grammer. Now in some cases where dyslexsia or just a miss type, R instead E such as in typr, such mistakes can be forgiven. Then again, this a forum where we type to reflect our thoughts not the correct use of the English language, or American language as the case may be. Capitalization in odd places and then not in others is more of an emphasis of what we are saying and not incorrect usage of the alphabet.

OK OK!!! Runonwordswtithnogaps, methinks means that HotRodMercury is a mumbler or an auctioneer. This may not be the case but it makes me feel good to think that he is not an idiot because all idiots drive, well, not Marauders. Even this forum/site does not allow for the correct spacing behind the period or colon. Thus we only have one space just as we would with a comma.
(Should be: "...the period or colon.__Thus we only...")

So instead of complaining, let us just translate said mumbles and leave the incorrect dyslexic confusions and odd spellings, alone.

I do not speak like this in person.

Aren, I do realize that my typing is not the best. I dont always capitalize my "I's" and i do mistype quiet often because i am on a laptop usually that won't allow the spellcheck to work.

and the "But, ..." is proper grammer. At least that is what I was tought. I was also tought that the correct spelling is COLOR, not COLOUR:lol:

Aren Jay
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM

Blk Mamba
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ they are both correct, as is grey, and gray, gauge , and gage, etc.

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
sorry i knew it was taught, not tought lol

Aren Jay
12-07-2008, 12:16 PM

<!--/POSTERROR do not remove this comment-->

Blk Mamba
12-07-2008, 12:21 PM
improper use of the English language, such as there, their, they're, [quote],

my English teacher one day verbally asked this question " which (to, too, two) is correct in this sentence?

none.

MyTMerc
12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Interesting thread.... Two pages of posts talking about the incorrect use of the English language, misspelled words, bad grammar, improper capitalization and punctuation. In the majority of the posts there was some example of the same. We are all guilty (certainly me), knowingly or not of overlooking something we've written in error.

There's been some insightful comments about our schools and the state of our education system. It's been suggested that if you have not been an educator in our school system then your opinion is somewhat less relevant. Most of us have been to school, are still attending school or have children or grandchildren in school and are actively involved in education in some form. That doesn't make us experts but makes our opinions relevant. We are not all politicians or mechanics but seem to have plenty to say.

Blaming "bad teachers" or "lazy kids" for the less than stellar performance of our workforce may not go far enough. There is plenty of blame to go around. There are many outstanding teachers and for the most part, kids start out wanting to learn. I hate to use this old saying but here it goes... It takes a village. Each of us need to take responsibility for educating the people in our lives. Look for opportunities where you can make a difference. There's much we can do... My organization sponsors science fairs, has a mentoring program with the local school system, has an active tutoring program and many of our workers coach community/school sports teams. We also take the time to speak at local schools about career opportunities and what it takes to get there. It could be as simple as helping your kids or grand kids with their homework.

To get back to the original intent of the thread, let's just agree to not "text message" in this forum and do our best to be understood.

duhtroll
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
They implimented a new program called "small schools" in which I protested heavily. It not only eliminated electives but it extended each period to 73 minutes and made it so the students would have the same teachers for their entire four year high school career. The idea is so that the students will develop a stronger relationship with their teachers, but if there was a negative relationship, the student could NOT leave his/her "community."

I'll wager the truthful reason is that they could find a way to save money by not hiring as many elective teachers, or teachers in general. Schedule changes are not usually about kids in my experience. They are about dollars.

Your school did a better job of gift-wrapping it than some I have seen, though. :) Some just make cuts and say "'twas necessary."

I am saying that kids today do not like sitting for 73 minutes and getting lectured.

Neither do I.

Other teachers that tried kinetic learning simply ran the lesson and then would have too much spare time, as dumb as we may be, a lot of us move at a very fast pace.

No two people learn the same way. Having large classes (and by "large" I mean more than 15-20) for book-type classes will always have the problem you describe.

The school has since lost its blue ribbon accreditation, and is now on one of the "failure" lists.

The way NCLB is set up, only the most affluent schools will remain OFF the lists, and even they will have problems at some point in the future. It is impossible for every student to be proficient in reading and writing. Some can't due to ability or environment and some won't due to attitude.

And to MyTMerc, I'm not often seen telling my mechanic how to fix my car. OK, make that "never." And for politics, the issues I involve myself in are the ones I have studied. I certainly don't tell the legislature how to balance the budget.

Don't take this the wrong way, but teachers need to be treated like the experts that they are. And if it is shown that a teacher is not worthy of being called "expert" then they need to find another line of work. A good teacher already asks the parents about their kids, just like a good mechanic asks you about your car.

We need to stop hiring accountants for administrators or place business managers in charge of educational institutions. Anyone who has not taught a day in the classroom has no business making decisions about education in this country. I think that's a pretty valid position to take -- you can decide if that means other opinions are more or less relevant.

I'm all for input, but the self-empowerment movement does go a bit far in some cases.

Dr Caleb
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
To get back to the original intent of the thread, let's just agree to not "text message" in this forum and do our best to be understood.

Hear Hear! :up:

I believe I've seen on this forum or another I haunt; someone defending 'text message' type posts. "Well, he got his point across, right?"

Mmmm, no. Ever ask yourself "What is wrong with the country"? For me, the first thing wrong is people who do not communicate properly. I'm not saying I'm a perfelct Splelr or cunning linguist, but I do usually write what I intend to communicate. But I also know this is a pretty informal place. I won't get excommunicated if I dangle a participle.

If people are too lazy to back and check their work for basic errors, it will creep into other aspects of their life. Soon, people do calculations in feet/second, when you were given figures in metres/second and you've just smacked a billion dollar probe into Mars at 3X the velocity you were expecting.

That is the beginning of 'what I see is wrong' in our countries. Pure apathy toward completing such a basic task as spelling.

And it's spelled 'honour'. ;) The meaning isn't the same without 'u' in it.

justbob
12-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm starting to feel really stupid. Thanks.http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/marauding4life/001.jpg

duhtroll
12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Were this a formal meeting, I might agree. However, this is an internet forum--just a pastime for most and certainly not relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Seems the level of formality should match the forum, so to speak. We're not curing cancer here.

Some of the brightest minds in the world were limited in their ability to communicate. Good thing their ideas were more important than decorum.

And some people do post from their phones....

Hear Hear! :up:

I believe I've seen on this forum or another I haunt; someone defending 'text message' type posts. "Well, he got his point across, right?"

Mmmm, no. Ever ask yourself "What is wrong with the country"? For me, the first thing wrong is people who do not communicate properly. I'm not saying I'm a perfelct Splelr or cunning linguist, but I do usually write what I intend to communicate. But I also know this is a pretty informal place. I won't get excommunicated if I dangle a participle.

If people are too lazy to back and check their work for basic errors, it will creep into other aspects of their life. Soon, people do calculations in feet/second, when you were given figures in metres/second and you've just smacked a billion dollar probe into Mars at 3X the velocity you were expecting.

That is the beginning of 'what I see is wrong' in our countries. Pure apathy toward completing such a basic task as spelling.

And it's spelled 'honour'. ;) The meaning isn't the same without 'u' in it.

hot-rauder
12-07-2008, 07:05 PM
duhtroll, I have the utmost respect for every teacher and educator. My mother and my grandmother both are Teachers with masters degrees. My mother is a music teacher at an elementary school, and my grandmother has worked with special needs for over 40 years. I actually would like to become an educator myself.

I support the educators to the fullest, just not the system inwhich they are forced to work in. Hear in MA they worked for almost a year WITHOUT a solid contract.

MyTMerc
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
And to MyTMerc, I'm not often seen telling my mechanic how to fix my car. OK, make that "never." And for politics, the issues I involve myself in are the ones I have studied. I certainly don't tell the legislature how to balance the budget.

Don't take this the wrong way, but teachers need to be treated like the experts that they are. And if it is shown that a teacher is not worthy of being called "expert" then they need to find another line of work. A good teacher already asks the parents about their kids, just like a good mechanic asks you about your car.

We need to stop hiring accountants for administrators or place business managers in charge of educational institutions. Anyone who has not taught a day in the classroom has no business making decisions about education in this country. I think that's a pretty valid position to take -- you can decide if that means other opinions are more or less relevant.

I'm all for input, but the self-empowerment movement does go a bit far in some cases.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. I do not take my mechanic's diagnosis or my doctor's on blind faith because they do it for a living. I've had training in both areas (and also as an instructor) and participate in deciding on the course of action. In my job I work developing experimental aircraft. I am the subject matter expert in my field. I do welcome input from other members of our integrated product team or management. I do not dismiss their input because they work in another discipline. Their input is relevant. They also have a stake in the final decision or outcome.

As for the legislature, I believe we all have an input on how our legislators spend our money. We can write, petition, testify and vote. It's our right/duty as American's to participate in the process. Anyone who served in the military understands that very well.

With regard to mechanic's, I think there are hundreds of examples on this site of varying levels of professionalism in that field. I did that for a living after three years of training. I'm no expert but I've experienced my share of less than stellar mechanics and just as many disreputable mechanics. As this site also has shown, there are some truly outstanding experts right here among us. I use this site to augment the lack of knowledge of our cars at the local dealer, who's service manager continues to ask if I want my tires rotated.

Are teachers, mechanics, politicians experts in their field? Yes of course, that's not disputed. Should their opinion or methods never be questioned by others that understand to varying degrees, what they do? I agree they should be the primary voice in the education of our children. They are the subject matter experts. I've meet too many who could use some help in learning to be better teachers. If they accept that different perspective, they just might become subject matter experts themselves.

I appreciate that this thread has stated civil. We should be able to have these types of disagreements without resorting to flames. I applaud the participates for their respectful posts.

dpotter
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Reading is fundamental (RIF). Reading will help vastly with ones vocubulary.

duhtroll
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Please read my second paragraph again -- the part about collaboration. It should be sought by the professional.

Parents have every right to ask their teachers (or doctors, mechanics, you name it) to help achieve a desired result. The line is drawn when the parents start telling them how it should be done. If parents know how to do it better than the teachers, they should be doing it themselves and home schooling their kids.

I check up on people I pay also, but the only right I have if I don't like their methods is to not hire them in the future.

I wonder how many people on this board would be satisfied with people coming in off the street and telling them how to do their jobs. Any takers?

justbob
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I've had that done in the plumbing field, thats when i choose to let them finish. Funny thing is it's a small world and on one occasion one of my plumber friends got called to finish that job but just like Sienfeld they had already got blacklisted.:D

Moral of that story, unless you are a know it all in whatever field it may be keep your mouth shut and let us finish your job.

As for teaching, if i am seeing any of my children struggle i ask the teacher just how i can help more at home. But then again we learned before the start of this year that we ended up with one of the hardest and rudest teachers out of three different 4th grade classes. So far the stories that we were told are coming true and my kid is now struggling. All we can do is give him more support at home because he has allready lost the will to care. He feels that no matter how good he does that she will find some kind of a mistake somewhere so why bother.

Her teaching is very hard core for fourth graders, example - if your period at the end of your sentance isn't a perfect dot it is marked wrong. So lets add this up, six sentances to wright out, one is not quite between the lines, two don't have perfect periods = 50% -FAIL. This would be fine if they weren't pressured on time. Nobody passed the last test. Is this right? I don't think so.

I've never went over a teachers head and i've never told them how to do their job but i have a feeling between me and the other parents something will be said at the next conference.

MyTMerc
12-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Please read my second paragraph again -- the part about collaboration. It should be sought by the professional.

Read... still understand and respect your opinion. Nothing more to add.

Dr Caleb
12-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Were this a formal meeting, I might agree. However, this is an internet forum--just a pastime for most and certainly not relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Seems the level of formality should match the forum, so to speak. We're not curing cancer here.

Some of the brightest minds in the world were limited in their ability to communicate. Good thing their ideas were more important than decorum.

And some people do post from their phones....

No, I quite agree. I don't pick nits when it comes to other peoples posts. I do try to hold my own posts to a certain level of readability, just for my own sense of self respect.

But that doesn't mean I have to read someones' text message style post. I'm not saying the language has to be formal, just comprehensible.

duhtroll
12-08-2008, 02:31 PM
wtf u dnt thk dis is rite roflol?

:D

No, I quite agree. I don't pick nits when it comes to other peoples posts. I do try to hold my own posts to a certain level of readability, just for my own sense of self respect.

But that doesn't mean I have to read someones' text message style post. I'm not saying the language has to be formal, just comprehensible.

CBT
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
wtf u dnt thk dis is rite roflol?

:D

He not gonna readz that.

Ms. Denmark
12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Ive been reading posts by some of our newer members and Ive noticed alot of "disses" and "dats" and "sumpin" and "nuttin" and other stuff lately. Talking "street" or whatever it is I guess is one thing but why take the time to type "street" language when it would be just as easy to type the correct word? Im not trying to show any disrespect here (hah, the current usage really bugs me) but, well, I thought Id throw this out there for discussion.
I'm wondering if the change in posting style is due to a change of demographics in Marauder ownership? The average original Marauder owner was most likely a middle aged, middle class, middle management type of guy. (except in my case of course ;)) Now the second, third and fourth generation of owners come along and they may come from more diverse backgrounds, are probably younger, maybe more urban guys who are comfortable with that style of communicating. Not criticizing, just wondering. :thinker:

Dr Caleb
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
He not gonna readz that.

lolwut? . . .

SC Cheesehead
12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm wondering if the change in posting style is due to a change of demographics in Marauder ownership? The average original Marauder owner was most likely a middle aged, middle class, middle management type of guy. (except in my case of course ;)) Now the second, third and fourth generation of owners come along and they may come from more diverse backgrounds, are probably younger, maybe more urban guys who are comfortable with that style of communicating. Not criticizing, just wondering. :thinker:

+1

I can understand, and agree with your observation on the shift in demographics, but all the same, I prefer the more "traditional" posting style.

ParkRanger
12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
How one writes is a direct reflection of how one thinks.
Misspelled words, improper syntax or other violations of the English language whether on purpose (texting; street vernacular) or unintentional diminishes the exchange of ideas and the richness of communication.
You will quickly become boring to a reader who sees only shortcuts, errors and constant idiomatic expressions. :beatnik:

Eric-Blk2004
12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I think times are changing and sadly kids think tonight is spelled tonite.

Parents and kids are not pulling their weight outside of school. Parents drops the kids off and go "teach me boy sumthin" and go off to work. The kid goes home plays video games, watches TV, goes on the internet. The parents are not taking active roles in the children's education and lives.

And before you say "Well my kids do their homework" How often to you actually sit down and ask your kids what they THINK. Any monkey can throw up information. All the answers are in the book. Real learning is not needing the book. Real learning is taking a concept and idea and running with it and applying it else where.

duhtroll
12-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Ye be wise beyond yer years, laddie...

I think times are changing and sadly kids think tonight is spelled tonite.

Parents and kids are not pulling their weight outside of school. Parents drops the kids off and go "teach me boy sumthin" and go off to work. The kid goes home plays video games, watches TV, goes on the internet. The parents are not taking active roles in the children's education and lives.

And before you say "Well my kids do their homework" How often to you actually sit down and ask your kids what they THINK. Any monkey can throw up information. All the answers are in the book. Real learning is not needing the book. Real learning is taking a concept and idea and running with it and applying it else where.