PDA

View Full Version : Ford snakebites it's loyal followers on the net.

Embassy
12-10-2008, 08:34 AM
This was posted on the Vic forums and thought it was worth posting here.

Was posted on one of the other forums I frequent...Not sure of the validity. Might be something to watch for!!

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32801

Ford is making me change the name of The Ranger Station and pay them $5,000. I have to sign an agreement as well and they want it all by the 19th of this month.

Ford feels that we are infringing on their trademarks and violating their intellectual property rights because we use 'Ranger' in our name.

Apparently it's ok for Ranger Boats, Polaris Ranger and the Lone Ranger.

We are not the first to get attacked by this:
http://www.michiganmustang.com/fordattacks.html

The question is, where do we go from here?

How are we possibly going to rename the site and still be able to attract Ranger owners, when Ford doesn't want us using their name

http://www.michiganmustang.com/fordattacks.html

Ford snakebites it's loyal followers!

Ford attacks parts Mustang suppliers, website enthusiasts and magazines. Donald Farr, an editor for Mustang Monthly wrote an article in the latest issue that Ford had sent a legal firm after places like Dallas Mustang, Mustang Plus and other parts houses. Please pick up a copy and read his writings.

It's only a matter of time for the magazine and websites using the Mustang name in reference to the Ford Mustang get a letter in the mail from the Howard, Phillips and Andersen legal firm. They are threatening a $100,000.00 lawsuit for damages. They want the domain names such as http://www.MichiganMustang.com to be turned over to Ford and the destruction of all banners, cards, signs and shirts. Along with a $5000.00 check for infringement damages.

If this continues, Michigan Mustang along with many other websites, non-sanctioned clubs, parts suppliers, magazines, clothes retailers and any other source for your Mustang pleasure not directly owned by Ford will be gone. I'm not sure if non-profit websites can be affected. I have not received any such letter as of yet, but if I do I will guarantee I will never purchase another Ford product again. I promote the ford Mustang and want everyone to go buy one, I think it's one of the greatest cars to be ever conceived. I ask why attack those who have done better then their own marketing department in keeping the excitement and attention on the very product they want everyone to see and buy.

I will be seeking advice from Donald Farr, some local sanctioned Mustang clubs as well as the Mustang Club of America. Who knows, maybe they can suggest a way to coincide with the big blue oval company. I don't believe they can be touched being a club. Maybe, just maybe Michigan Mustang will have to become a Mustang Club to be spared the legal guillotine.

I guess when you need money you take it how you can get it..

Granted, this all depends on if it's a legit issue or not.

If it's a repost, oh well.

Eric-Blk2004
12-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Just like MLB trying to get money off little league kids. Its pathetic.

3rdcoastmrauder
12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5106183/bold-moves-ford-threatens-enthusiast-sites-with-lawsuits-over-copyright-infringement

was just about to post this up myself.

Makes me wanna buy foreign that much more now.

teamrope
12-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I seem to remember them doing the same thing to a powerstroke forum a couple of years ago.

knine
12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I remember this crap from a mustang forum. It's basically a law firm trolling for enfringements of copyrights that is employed or reports to FORD somehow. This came up about a year ago. It was resolved by FORD getting involved.

Aren Jay
12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
.............................. .

Jinx
12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Makes me want to pick the labels off my car. I'd hate to get sued by Ford because I'm displaying their name without permission.

Rocknthehawk
12-10-2008, 11:55 AM
This has been blowing up....

I used to visit TRS until i realized it suck in comparison to RPS (RangerPowerSports).

This is not the first lawsuit of its kind...a little research shows they've gone after other ford sites, volkswagen sites, and small companies (decals, stickers, etc).

nothing like spending $50,000 to make 5,000.

Let's go after our loyal supporters! YEAH!

whd507
12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
yeah, they forced ford-diesel.com to change to the dieselstop.com and we had previously had a great relationship with ford up to that point. they sent trucks and people to our events, and had folks on the site. dont blame ford so much as the lawyers. to say that ford could lose their copyright or trademark status by limited use of an a enthusiast group is a real stretch, but some lawyer apparently needs to justify his existance.

Black_Noise
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Let's go after our loyal supporters! YEAH!

exactly... how stupid are they? Someone likes what you make, and they get together with others that enjoy it too, and discuss it and modify it, customize it and probably will buy a NEW one when they get the chance (as in the mustang club) and you fricken sue them for doing so.

At least it not nearly as bad as the A-hole Ferrari's, they will sue you if you change the car without taking off the emblems, anyone remember the Ferrari limo posted here not that long ago?

TAKEDOWN
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
... and why am I not surprised, hmmm!

SideshowBob
12-10-2008, 09:53 PM
And now for the rest of the story...

http://jalopnik.com/5107035/ford-not-a-bunch-of-baddies-fan+boy-forum-does-naughty-things-with-big-blue-oval

Aren Jay
12-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Ford has been and continues to be willing to license its trademarks for use by enthusiast groups and enthusiast websites. Requesting a license is done easily by contacting tmgroup@ford.com. To request a license to produce or sell branded merchandise bearing Ford's trademarks, contact branduse@ford.com.

Has MM.net done this though?

Blk Mamba
12-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Makes me want to pick the labels off my car. I'd hate to get sued by Ford because I'm displaying their name without permission.

You paid to display their name. I very seldom wear anything that is of an advertising nature. I don't feel that they need me to advertise for them, and have to pay for the garment also.

Master
12-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Interesting links. Would be interesting to talk to them about a "hypothetical" Mercury Marauder site to see what the cost would be.
Also, I have to agree that though it sounds mean spirited, what we need to do is beef up the laws so this sort of thing isn't required. How would you all feel if the Chinese started copying the Mustang body, putting some POS motor (not to mention good 'ole chinese quality control) into it, then selling it as a Ford Mustang?
Think it coudln't happen? Think again. They already got caught by Chev producing an exact replica of one of their models. This wasn't a one-off, either. It was a full blown assembly line as I recall. They settled out of court.
So, should Ford go after groups? Should they only go after Chinese clones? Well, the law doesn't allow them to differentiate. They own the trademarks, and if they don't want to lose them, then they have to defend them. And that means against all takers. We all know how it appears in PR, but since reporters rarely do their jobs properly, we can assume that there is a lot that Ford liely tries to do behind the scenes to keep enthusiast clubs up and running without offending the poeple or groups in question. I think this was even alluded to in a couple of other posts.
But hey, you wouldn't sell news papers if your headline read "Ford helps enthusiast group restructure to avoid costly trademark infringement suit". Just doesn't have the same ring as "Ford Sues Mustang Club".
Lets remember China, if nothing else.