PDA

View Full Version : Ebay shopping gripes

GetMeMyStogie
12-13-2008, 12:32 PM
This is a gripe about buying stuff off ebay :argue: Look away if that irks you.

I recently bought a set of '03 Ford CV/MGM service manuals off ebay. The two of them - the big red book, and the electrical diagrams book - had cracked spines, which I didn't learn about until they arrived.
So, I wasn't sure if I should keep them. They were a decent deal, not great ($90, shipping across the border included). I might have even kept them.
But, when I went to leave neutral feedback, ebay asked if I had tried to contact the seller, which I hadn't. So I did. He offered a refund, and in the end, I accepted. I figured, every time I open one of these books, I'll feel like I got ripped off, and I don't need the aggravation of picking up pages as they fall out.
So, I shipped them back, and got my refund, including the return shipping.

All seemed well, but then I get an email from the seller complaining how he's out all these shipping fees, and the books were used, so I shouldn't have expected them to be perfect, and I sat on them for a couple weeks and probably got all I needed out of them, and not to bother buying from him again. What an SOB, I thought. I typed up a return email, but then thought about what his response could possibly be, and do I really want to know. Do I care what he might say? Not really, and I got my refund, so what more do I want? Nothing from him, so I didn't send my email. Btw, his email was not rude or foul.

Instead, I went and left neutral feedback. In the end, I have nothing to show for my trouble, except for an email from a retailer complaining about how I took advantage of his offers, with no acknowledgement that the manuals did contain undisclosed damage. So, it wasn't a positive experience. Negative? Maybe, but it could've been worse, I suppose.

What would you have done?

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye out for a good deal on a big red book ;)

Peace2Peep
12-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I would have put in my neutral comments that the spines were cracked and the seller offered your money back...THANKS! Then future buyers will know the conditon they are in. I buy books all the time...a Spine...is a spine! it holds the book together! IT IS IMPORTANT! And for $100 is not a small issue.

larryo340
12-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I think you did right thing leaving neutral feedback and not leaving negative as the seller did refund your money including return shipping. Keep an eye out for the manual, there are times when there are many to pick from, and times when there are only a few. $90 shipped was a little high to me. Click HERE (http://stores.ebay.com/Lorie-and-Jeff_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amef sQ3amesstQQtZkm) for a very reputable manual seller. I have bought a bunch from them in the past, and at very reasonable prices.

fastblackmerc
12-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I think you did right thing leaving neutral feedback and not leaving negative as the seller did refund your money including return shipping. Keep an eye out for the manual, there are times when there are many to pick from, and times when there are only a few. $90 shipped was a little hight to me. Click HERE (http://stores.ebay.com/Lorie-and-Jeff_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amef sQ3amesstQQtZkm) for a very reputable manual seller. I have bought a bunch from them in the past, and at very reasonable prices.

+2 on that seller! Have gotten many manuals from them, all in used but good condition.

GetMeMyStogie
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I would have put in my neutral comments that the spines were cracked and the seller offered your money back

In fact, this is exactly what I did. I also added that he complained about sticking to his own offer.
I doubt it will have much effect though, because this seller has an ebay store exclusively selling manuals, unlike an individual trying to offload a single manual or two.

+2 on that seller!
I had read a thread or two that mentioned L & J, but figured a book is a book. I know better now.:flamer:

GetMeMyStogie
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
By the way, any opinions on the Ford (expired) DVD manuals? These appear to be the same as the BRB, but on DVD. Are they really useable by setting the computers clock back a few years?

larryo340
12-15-2008, 07:03 AM
By the way, any opinions on the Ford (expired) DVD manuals? These appear to be the same as the BRB, but on DVD. Are they really useable by setting the computers clock back a few years?
In a word Yes. You just adjust your computers clock to the month and year on the DVD. I have the discs also, and they are somewhat difficult to use if you don't know Ford terminology. I worked many years in Ford service and the sometimes have a hard time finding what I'm looking for on the DVD. The "BRB" is much easier to use, but you can't email sections from it as you could with the DVD :(

Peter
12-15-2008, 02:54 PM
I just noticed your in Toronto, I have the electrical diagrams manual, if you want I can send it you for free and all you have to do is return it to me when your done using it.

GetMeMyStogie
12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I just noticed your in Toronto, I have the electrical diagrams manual, if you want I can send it you for free and all you have to do is return it to me when your done using it.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.
But, I like to use the manuals to prepare myself for whatever 'job' I want or need to do on the car. At the moment, it's running fine, so I don't have any immediate need for the manuals.
It's getting cold out there, so instead of actually making any changes, I'll probably start doing some planning, for which manuals will be helpful...things like stereo system, lighting and heated seat mods ;)
I like to have the books 'just in case'