PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gardens and Train Sets

Bluerauder
12-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Christmas Gardens and Train Sets

There was an article in today’s newspaper about Christmas Train Sets making a comeback. Brings back lots of memories for me. Here’s mine …..

When I was young, my family always set up a “Christmas Garden”. It seemed to be pretty common in Baltimore where I grew up. The garden was basically a 4’ by 8’ sheet of ½” plywood (painted green) with a ¼” by 1” lip running around the perimeter. The plywood sheet set on two wooden saw horses to elevate it off the floor about 18”. It seemed much higher when I was little. We used decorative brick paper around the outside to hide all the decoration boxes that were stored underneath.

We set up the biggest oval “O”-gauge track for our Lionel train set that would fit on the board/garden. The Christmas tree stand and tree :xtree: were located in the corner at one end so the train would pass around the back and under the tree. When I was about 10 years old, I added an “HO” train set that ran inside the bigger track. I spent hours just playing with the trains in the days before Christmas. The Lionel would smoke. There were a few good train wrecks as I recall. :o

My grandfather made a 6” white picket fence that went about 3/4 around the garden. The fence served to keep the younger kids out of the garden. For the most part this was successful. However, one nephew found that he could climb “though” a double swinging gate at one end. What a mess that was. After that, the gate had a latch on the back side. The fence itself was a real work-of-art with intermediate and corner posts made of 1” by 6” wood. Each one-piece green post had a 1” red ball that Pop had cut on a lathe. Each fence section was arched and each picket had an ornamental top. Pop could make nearly anything out of wood or metal. I still have the fence (about 60 years old now) and made my own garden but I haven’t set it up in years since my kids are grown.

The garden was decorated with a mountain at the rear, train station in front, church, and several houses that had been hand made by firemen (my Dad and Grandfather were both firemen) as they occupied their time on the night shift. Some were real masterpieces. Made from cardboard and paper stock with windows and front porches made of wooden match sticks, some of these hand-made house would put the current molded plastic ones to shame. Each house was lit with a bulb that came up from under the board to give them that lights on look. Wish I had kept those houses – especially the church and the train station.

Finally, the garden was completed with roads, people, cars, etc and then covered with snow (not the plastic kind). With the tree and the houses lit, the entire scene looked like the proverbial Winter Wonderland. :snowman:

That is probably one of my best memories of Christmas Past. Anyone else have a Christmas Garden or similar set-up?

:wreath:

:santaw:

rayjay
12-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Wow Charlie that sounds beautiful! I've never heard of a Christmas Garden. We had a Christmas Village, but no train included. My Lionel belonged to my father and stayed at Grandma's for some reason. I now have the Polar Express that runs beneath our tree. I haven't set it up yet. Maybe this coming week. It will give me more time to use my "cat controller" on our juvenile deliquent 8 month old kittens. :D Merry Christmas

Ms. Denmark
12-14-2008, 07:53 AM
What a great memory, Charlie. I hope you have some picture or home movies of it. We had an H-O train that ran in front of our tree for many years. It was not at all elaborate.

What I do remember is a fireplace replica that my grandpa made. My grandparents (Dad's folks) lived in an apartment above their Mom & Pop grocery store in Dike , Iowa. They had no chiminy for Santa to come down. This was a big concern for all of us grandchildren who spent Christmas at their house. Grandpa built a beautiful "fireplace" that sat in the corner of the living room. It materialized only at Christmas and Santa always delivered. Ah, the magic of Christmas ( and grandparents!)

Vortex
12-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Sounds nice; I would have volunteered to my parents to run my AFX slot cars or hot wheels tracks around the manger scene but I dont think my Mom or Baby Jesus would have approved.

Krytin
12-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Good one Charlie!
My Dad had a similar set up when we were kids.
I still have quite alot of it packed away in the basement.
Next time your up in NY we'll have to dig it out and have a look!

MERCMAN
12-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Post war(WW2) Lionel "O" gauge trains were the best, we had a set-up that went arond the basement when I was a child. The detail on those engines and cars were not to be believed. Smoke, whistles, all metal with lights in the Pullman cars. FWIW, those trains now fetch a premium price as they are collector items. "They don't make 'em like that any more"

NOTE! Neil Young now is an owner of Lionel. He has a fantastic layout in his barn

Ms. Denmark
12-14-2008, 01:18 PM
There's a place in Flemington, NJ called Northlandz. It's supposed to have a pretty impressive and large collection of toy train displays. Always ment to go see it while my nephew was visiting this summer, but never did. Bet they have it all decked out for Christmas. Anybody been there?

Bluerauder
12-14-2008, 05:06 PM
There's a place in Flemington, NJ called Northlandz. It's supposed to have a pretty impressive and large collection of toy train displays. Always ment to go see it while my nephew was visiting this summer, but never did. Bet they have it all decked out for Christmas. Anybody been there?
Took my son and grandson to see a train display set up by the Prince William County Model Railroad club. It had about 10 trains running on a huge modular 30' by 30' oval that depicted scenes from around Virginia including a Civil War battlefield reenactment camp, downtown Fredericksburg, downtown Manassas and a couple other small towns and cities around VA. Very detailed.

Info here >>>> http://www.pwmrc.org

I remember seeing the very large train/garden displays that were set up inside several firehouses in Baltimore -- some were pretty sophisticated with moving skiers on mountains, ice skaters on ponds, and running waterfalls or carnivals with rides that really operated.

The 2-year old grandson was fascinated by all the trains; but his favorite thing was a "wooden nickel" given to him by one of the railroaders.

Vortech347
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
I have over 1500 lionel O gauge pieces. When my grandpa passed away (I was 9 months old) he put in his will for all of his train stuff to go to me when I turned 16. I have left it at my grandma's untill I got my own home and brought it all here. It took 3 loads in my explorer with the seats down. He was in a few magazines with his layouts and the local paper a few times. Most of it is 60's-70's. My wife and I took inventory of it and it took us 2 weeks. Alot of the stuff is in the original boxes too.

Growing up I had LGB trains and had a huge layout I spent hours on. It was outdoors and even ran in the winter. It was awesome. I still have the 200ft of track and most of the trains. Unfortunatly somoene found out about it and stole alot of the pieces. One day I'll get it set back up.

I love Model trains. I also had an HO layout for a little while too. I plan on running the O gauge stuff on a suspended track in my kids room. (if I ever decide to have children)

TJCOX
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
American Flyer's "S" guage were my dads favorite. He bought each of
his boys (4) a train and after school we looked forward to running the trains and competing in train races at a highschool, on Saturdays...Really exciting!
Dad even constructed his own dual track electric "drawbridge" and switches
and other items. My favorite was the "Silver Bullet" which I still have
today. Dads was the "Challenger" 4-8-4, which could pull a hundred
cars... Good times!
tom

whd507
12-16-2008, 09:46 PM
I have my dad's huge collection including a GG1 lionel locomotive, but he took it apart before he died, so I have to round up a few parts, and put it back together. I also have his lionel set from 1926 he got that Christmas. and I have tons of HO stuff in boxes. unfortunately too busy for indoor hobbies at this stage of my life...