PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Fastest Engine Change!

ctrlraven
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I wish our car was simple enough like this lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DJD9cNHlI
[yotube]H0DJD9cNHlI[/youtube]

Blk Mamba
12-16-2008, 12:18 AM
That was fast, but no water lines, and just a slip fit to the drive line. Really impressive, but not a car off the dealer floor.

RoyLPita
12-16-2008, 05:49 AM
I knew a GM tech who can remove a GTO engine in one hour.

NATEHAWK
12-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Thats what i was going to say no coolant? nothing that thing probably run like crap and blow up in 2 min

Mike Poore
12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I nominate Zack as the MM champ; but knew(about ;)) some guys in the DC area, who drove the neighborhoods in a tow truck. In those days the car companies would proudly display engine designations with cool fender badges. Anyway, they'd spot a target, drop two guys off and one would get under the hood, while the other got under the car, and they'd get to work unhooking everything. The under hood guy would attach a snatch chain and remove the hood hinge bolts and engine mounts, fuel lines etc, and the tow truck would return to take the two guys and the engine/hood away. They were very fast/good, and never got caught, so far as I know. It was the reason for the hood chain/padlock setup in the late 50 - mid-60's.

Bluerauder
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
..... but knew(about ;)) some guys in the DC area, who drove the neighborhoods in a tow truck. In those days the car companies would proudly display engine designations with cool fender badges. Anyway, they'd spot a target, drop two guys off and one would get under the hood, while the other got under the car, and they'd get to work unhooking everything. The under hood guy would attach a snatch chain and remove the hood hinge bolts and engine mounts, fuel lines etc, and the tow truck would return to take the two guys and the engine/hood away. They were very fast/good, and never got caught, so far as I know. It was the reason for the hood chain/padlock setup in the late 50 - mid-60's.
I can testify to ^^^^ this as well.

Since I lived close to Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, MD as a kid/teen, people who attended the Baltimore Colts (remember them :P) football games would park in our neighborhood and walk to the stadium about 4 blocks away.

One year, after a guy parked his 440 Roadrunner about 1/2 block down the street, a tow truck showed up and two guys started to work on the car. I didn't think anything about it because it happened in plain sight of everyone. At the time, I figured that the owner had a problem and the tow truck guys were just making an "on site" repair. My father used to work on his car in front of our house so it didn't really raise a flag to me.

One of the guys popped the hood and another seemed to be working under the car. It couldn't have been more than 10-15 minutes tops (if that much) when the tow truck just snatched the engine out and took off down the street with the engine dangling off the hook block. Engine stolen quickly and cleanly.

Because these guys were "Hiding in Plain Sight", I couldn't even tell the police or the owner what the name of the Towing Company was -- probably a fake name anyway. Even my description of the guys didn't help much.

n00bkiller944
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
^^^HAha, thats a cool story. I can't believe they actually used to do that. Of course my friend just got the cats stolen out of his Toyota Pickup so who know?

larryo340
12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
R&R and running that quick, I doubt it, but I do remember a time long ago when here in New York Caddy bumpers were being stolen while parked. Those bumpers were pretty heavy, alot of people even had the bumpers welded in place.

TAKEDOWN
12-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Zack can do it faster and better too... LOL!

Aren Jay
12-20-2008, 10:56 AM
.............................. .

UncleLar
12-24-2008, 07:20 AM
For a while I worked for a guy at a gas station that specialized in the old air cooled VW's.The guy came from Germany and was a factory trained VW mechanic and was darn good with VW's. I saw him change engines numerous times by himself in 13 minutes.He'd have a fresh rebuilt bug motor sitting on the floor of the bay,drive an un prepped bug in himself ,set the hoist under it,R&R engines and have it 100% correctly installed and back out in the drive again that fast. The only thing he'd have previously prepared was the rebuilt engine sitting on the floor there.No pre loosened or removed bolts or anything.
His name was Sigfried Paull and he owned the Harlem and Touhy Mobil Station in Niles.