PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a Model A with Marauder engine..

BlkRauderMatt
12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,

I'm leaving for Army Basic Combat Training next month (January 8th) and I'm thinking about things I want to do with my $20,000 bonus...

One thing that popped into my head was doing something with the Marauder/Mach 1 DOHC engine... My uncle has a 1927 Ford Model T (with a 350 :shake:) and is building a 1923 T bucket (with a 460! :up: ) too. Because of this, I've ALWAYS wanted some sort of "hot rod" for myself.

Besides my Marauder, :P my other favorite car in the world is the 1931 Ford Model A 5 window coupe. Now do you guys think such a beast is possible? I'd have all kind of electrical things to add of course with the computer and all that... But I think it's possible....? I don't know if I'd have to have some one-off motor mounts made or what.

This is going to be a long term project if I can ever get it off the ground. My uncle said he can weld me up a frame like he did for his T. So I don't think that will be a problem.

I also wonder if there was some way I could put some Marauder wheels on there..... That might look pretty awesome...

I can't wait to get back so I might get started on this.. Any feedback?

justbob
12-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Anything can be done with a dream, grinder, and a welder (with some knowhow). Good luck, this sounds like something that i would try.

TAKEDOWN
12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Not a bad idea, sound like you also have the support to my make this project come alive. I too like the chopped rodz, but recently been think about a Merc Lead Sled for some play time. BTW I like your style. Good luck with Boot camp and here's a little advice (Never volunteer-- Do exactly what your told-nothing more,nothing less--Don't complain, Just do it, things just go a lot smoother that way--I learned quickly that your mind gives up first before your body does... Bottom line "Don't give up!" )

BlkRauderMatt
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Hooah! Thanks takedown!

Yeah I was on the fence as to if I wanted to do this little project with a Model A or a 64-70 Mustang...

But I think I'm gonna go with the Model A just because of my uncle... Definitely with a chopped top, full fenders.... Stuff like that. Don't know yet if I want to do a "rat rod" with primer or make it a beautiful black paint job... Although..... a shiny black Model A would sure look nice next to my Marauder....

TAKEDOWN
12-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I say find a happy medium between rat rod and black beauty! Rust and primer look cool till they start falling apart & chrome don't always get you home... LOL! Good luck with your project and boot camp. Oh yeah don't call a Drill Sergeant "Sir", they work for a living!

scruff
12-21-2008, 01:44 PM
buy a 1970 ranchero factory 428 super cobra jet car

Hacklemerc
12-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Good luck with Boot camp and here's a little advice (Never volunteer-- Do exactly what your told-nothing more,nothing less--Don't complain, Just do it, things just go a lot smoother that way--I learned quickly that your mind gives up first before your body does... Bottom line "Don't give up!" )

+1 Boot camp was about 13 years ago for me but I'd do it again.

03calitejas
12-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Theres a wrecked 03 MM in Lousiana for sale that slid into a pole. Middle of the car at the drivers door is caved in badly but it looks as thought the engine and wheels are there...it was just posted here a little bit ago and they are looking for 4500 for it.

03calitejas
12-21-2008, 02:17 PM
search on "parts car ebay" ctrlraven just posted it today...thinking thats a perfect donor for a nice street rod...the engine is so damn pretty on these things that a open hood T Marauder has my mind reeling...The only better looking engine IMHO is a 426 Hemi...Flatheads are cool but a decked out 32V mill would blow it away

Pat
12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Your thread, your money, but you did ask for feedback.

Flush with a big cash bonus most people, such as yourself, want to spend it on something that provides immediate pleasure. But you can't eat that car, pay bills with it, wear it or live in it.

Take a deep breath, put the money in the bank for awhile, remember taxes in your case may be near 20%, and Uncle Sugar wants it by the next quarter.

Also, why take another Marauder engine off the market, a three valve GT Mustang engine puts out power, cheaper and more plentiful.

Word up, put things in priority, remember ongoing expenses, unless your independently wealthy.

Your welcome,

Regards,

Blk Mamba
12-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Flush with a big cash bonus most people, such as yourself, want to spend it on something that provides immediate pleasure. But you can't eat that car, pay bills with it, wear it or live in it.

Take a deep breath, put the money in the bank for awhile, remember taxes in your case may be near 20%, and Uncle Sugar wants it by the next quarter.

Also, why take another Marauder engine off the market, a three valve GT Mustang engine puts out power, cheaper and more plentiful.

Word up, put things in priority, remember ongoing expenses, unless your independently wealthy.

Your welcome,

Regards,

He's young, and full of piss and vinegar, let him do what he wants there is plenty of time to worry when he gets your age, or you could worry for him.

j/k

UncleLar
12-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Either way,a wrecked Stang or Marauder donor car would give you the engine,trans,electronics and wiring and even a rear end to use in the A and you could sell off the rest of the stuff you don't use.

TAKEDOWN
12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I do agree with Pat... I remember wanting a HD Motorcycle so0o bAd, when I was in the military, at the time there was a waiting list for these cycles and HD gave preference to service men. I ended up $aving the cash as down payment for a home and using it to also furnish the residence. I took an older persons advice and I'm glad I listened. Harley Davidson, though very nice... you can't wear it, eat it, sleep in it, and it definitely won't shelter you from the elements. Like Pat said, "Put things in priority". You could do a lot with $20,000 dollars. It took me a while and felt like forever, but in my opinion I got something cooler then an HD... a ground up new skool custom chopper!

FordNut
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I've been to several Street Rod shows, and have only seen a handful of 32V Modular motors in them. It is really a good looking engine and lends itself to street rodding quite well. Best bet is to get a wrecked car with all the electronics and wiring harnesses as a starting point. Before disassembly, it may be a good idea to disable PATS with a tuner, then you won't have to worry about that preventing the car from starting once the drivetrain is transplanted.

BlkRauderMatt
12-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Your welcome,

Regards,

I do agree with Pat... I remember wanting a HD Motorcycle so0o bAd, when I was in the military, at the time there was a waiting list for these cycles and HD gave preference to service men. I ended up $aving the cash as down payment for a home and using it to also furnish the residence. I took an older persons advice and I'm glad I listened. Harley Davidson, though very nice... you can't wear it, eat it, sleep in it, and it definitely won't shelter you from the elements. Like Pat said, "Put things in priority". You could do a lot with $20,000 dollars. It took me a while and felt like forever, but in my opinion I got something cooler then an HD... a ground up new skool custom chopper!

:D

I was expecting this type of answer...

But believe me. This project does not get started until my life is in order. I have absolutely no intention of blowing the whole $20,000 on something I want.. As much as I'd like to....

Besides wanting to serve my country, the next biggest reason I joined the military is to get my life in order. I'm almost 24 now and have done nothing toward actually planning ahead to my later years. I've worked in a grocery store for the last 4 years and I really don't want to say that 5, 10 or 20 years down the road that all I did with my life was become a store manager at a grocery store..... My last resort if I couldn't "make it big" (or at least make it at all...) was to join the military knowing that they would give me direction. Well, 5 years out from turning 18 and I haven't made any major changes. So I signed the next 8 years of my life to the Army. Now I have direction!! And I'm excited as hell! I can see that I now have a way that I can work for the next 20 years and retire if I want to.

So believe me guys... My dad and I have had alot of "talks" about how my life has been going. One thing he's INGRAINED in me is the need to prioritize. Wow.... Am I actually thanking my dad for all those talks about getting my life on track? Something's wrong with that picture....

Anyway, back to the hotrod... :P I haven't seen a whole lot of modular engines in car shows either. But I know it can be done. I haven't ruled out the 3V modulars. I just figured that I'd go with something I know. Plus I REALLY love the size of our cylinder heads.. Makes the engine look huge.. :P

And I don't think taking an engine out of a wrecked Marauder is taking it off the market... Hell, it looks more like I'd be saving it from the crusher than wasting it... Especially if I'm showing it off in a ride that's going to be seen at car shows... "What kind of engine is in that thing?" "Oh, it's from a Marauder..." Hell, I could even have the Gods head put on the valve covers somehow....

What's wrong with that?

TAKEDOWN
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
You got a good head on those shoulders, you'll do fine in life, and your project is gonna be awesome!

Krytin
12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I've seen a '32 roadster w/Lincoln Mark VIII drive train. Very good looking.
There are a couple of aftermarket companies specializing in carburated mod motors if you don't want to deal with the EFI computer/re-programing.
Good luck and keep us informed on your progress!!

BlkRauderMatt
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I've seen a '32 roadster w/Lincoln Mark VIII drive train. Very good looking.
There are a couple of aftermarket companies specializing in carburated mod motors if you don't want to deal with the EFI computer/re-programing.
Good luck and keep us informed on your progress!!

Hmm.. That's an interesting approach... Though I think I want to keep EFI.. But good to know that's an option..

I'll keep everyone updated.. Though it won't be for a while.. Hopefully it will pan out...

Pops
12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Check this out. www.sullivanperformance.com (http://www.sullivanperformance.com)

whd507
12-22-2008, 05:09 PM
years ago I had a 1954 Dodge Royal with a Red Ram Hemi in it. some @$%&*^%$#@ broke out the windshield and rear window just to pi$$ me off, and since they were pretty much irreplaceable pre-ebay, I pulled the Hemi and sold it to a guy who put it in a full-fender 35 ford 5-window. it looked sweet. I say go for it. I'd use a complete donor car though.

I would squirrell away the cash now though, and wait until you own your life again to start collecting big parts unless you have a safe place for the donor car and such, and then I'd be sure to prperly store the important stuff so it will be usable in 8 years.

Thank you for serving, and God Bless.

tjg442
12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
nothing wrong with a dream !! If the money is there, and your young, do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Tjg442

tjg442
12-22-2008, 05:46 PM
[quote=tjg442;696305]nothing wrong with a dream !! If the money is there, and your young, do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Tjg442[/quote

HAD ALL KINDS OF OLD'S AND ONE CAD Lasalle conv, green, tan leather interior, 54 conv, 55 Starfire conv, 57 J2 conv, 62 Starfire conv, 65 Delta 4 speed ! hardtop 2 door, and then (Married) !! 72 Vista Cruiser, 78 Calia 4 speed 2 door, 75 Delta conv, 85 Delta 2 door, and now the "Marauder", soo it's time for sixty years to kick in, and enjoy !!! DON'T WAIT......

Aren Jay
12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
.............................. .