PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Firebird Tail Lens?

MarauderBZ
09-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey All, just wanted to run this little problem by others who know more that me on this matter.
I was changing out the rear lighting bulbs in my '98 Firebird, since one burned out, I decided to do them all. I noticed that the driver's rear lens looks darker that the other. All the bulbs on both sides are working perfectly, however the driver's side is just darker. Any ideas on what may cause this and how to fix it?
Thanks!

TripleTransAm
09-21-2003, 01:05 PM
The lens may have been replaced with a jobber or perhaps a unit from a scrapyard that had been 'smoked' or otherwise modified? Or perhaps the replacement was the one that looked brighter than the original? I'm not sure.

My 1998 Trans Am WS6 has the 'spiderman' pattern on the lenses, I'm not sure if that's the same as the V6 Birds for 1998+. I know the pre 1998 Birds used plain red lenses while the Formulae/Trans Ams used the lenses with a grid pattern. But since the taillamp treatment changed for 1998, I'm not sure what the V6 Birds looked like.

Here's a photo of my WS6's rear to compare with, in case there is a difference in darkness between a Trans Am and a Firebird's taillamps after 1997.
http://www.tripletransam.com/2003/DSCF1748a.jpg

MarauderBZ
09-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Yup, my tail lights look the same as yours. I was kicking around replacing them so that everything matches. Do you know a good source for aftermarket parts? I was debating on a new exhaust and some other mods as well. I got the car for free and have been debating on what exactly to do with it. I also notice some condensation inside my driver's side backup light assembly. I know the car has never seen snow or been wrecked, but aside from that I have no idea on the history of parts replaced and such. Thanks again for your help and info, I know very little about these vehicles.