PDA

View Full Version : driving in the snow

stangracr
12-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Man I have read all the post about how bad the BFGs are in the snow but thought that maybe it was just talk. My tires only have maybe 5,000 miles on them. I had to drive the Marauder today. How can a car so heavy be so bad in the snow. I might have to ordered snow tires for it. You cant buy snow tires anywhere in my area. I dont plan on driving the car when the weather is bad but I do use this car for out of town trips and I would hate to get caught out in bad weather with this. Does anyone think it would help to add some weight in the rear? I didnt think I would need it with a car this size.

ed

TJCOX
12-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Try tirerack.com and if they have them they can ship them to your
home and then have them mounted at the tire store that tire rack
recommends....Good Luck!
Try the snow tires without additional weight and see how they perform.

Ms. Denmark
12-28-2008, 04:56 PM
It's my first year on snow tires and trust me it makes a huge difference. Well worth it for safety sake if you live or travel where it snows.

Blk Mamba
12-28-2008, 04:59 PM
It's only heavy in the front end, posi-trac doesn't help either, plus the torque doesn't allow for a smooth take off, but stops just fine. Enjoy. I drive it all winter with OEM's in Cleveland.

Fourth Horseman
12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
IMHO, driving in winter is all about having the right tires. I put snow tires on my Mustang GT for daily driving and it's awesome in the snow. I use my Marauder's stock wheels and BFGs for winter driving and the poor thing can hardly get started on slick roads. Of course, the rears are nearly bald. Not sure how that happened. :lol:

Thinking real hard about getting some snow tires for it. My experience has been that the Marauder itself does real well in snow, it's just a tire issue.

offroadkarter
12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
It's my first year on snow tires and trust me it makes a huge difference. Well worth it for safety sake if you live or travel where it snows.

You actually got snow? :D

Oh right, north jersey

Ms. Denmark
12-28-2008, 07:23 PM
You actually got snow? :D

Oh right, north jersey Yeah, and these tires are so ugly on my car that I sorta hope we get lotsa snow to make up for it.LOL ;)

Aren Jay
12-28-2008, 07:44 PM

stangracr
12-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes, Im sure it is a tire issue. I was hoping to just run the oem tires. I really hate to spend the cash on snows. My Marauder has a 3500 stall and 4:10s, Im sure that doesnt help matters. Dont get me wrong, you can get around with the car but it is not very surefooted. Maybe I will put some sand bags in the rear and see how it does with some extra weight.

ed

1stMerc
12-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Weight in the back does make a big difference. I use a 50 lb bag of salt in the middle of the trunk.

Aren Jay
12-28-2008, 08:57 PM
.............................. .......

252life
12-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Why would you want to have only the rear tires studded? To save $30?

Aren Jay
12-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Murader03
12-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I can't believe that after all these years, all the tire info on the board, that you guys and gals still drive around with the OEM tires in winter weather. I used to drive 80 miles round trip for work. The 1st time I took the car into a light snow and slick roads, was the last without winter tires. Bought the whole package, front and rear from TireRack. Best money I ever spent. Made a trip from Delaware to Ohio during December '04 in a snow storm. Never had an issue and it snowed the entire trip. The car is a monster to drive in winter weather, power mods make it even worse, without proper tires on the pavement. I drove through some really bad road conditions that year without problems. The car worked even better back and forth to work as I was able to even go by some state police that were slipping and sliding, or getting stuck with there tires..............Get some good rubber for winter driving..............they will save your nerves and possibly your car!

Marauderjack
12-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Man I have read all the post about how bad the BFGs are in the snow but thought that maybe it was just talk. My tires only have maybe 5,000 miles on them. I had to drive the Marauder today. How can a car so heavy be so bad in the snow. I might have to ordered snow tires for it. You cant buy snow tires anywhere in my area. I dont plan on driving the car when the weather is bad but I do use this car for out of town trips and I would hate to get caught out in bad weather with this. Does anyone think it would help to add some weight in the rear? I didnt think I would need it with a car this size.

ed

Ed,

Try starting off in 2nd gear....limited power and minimal spinning!!:beer:

Weight in the trunk may help a little but just remember IF you spin out you also have to STOP that extra inertia of motion!!:eek::shake:

Best solution is to live somewhere that it DOESN'T SNOW!!!!!!:rolleyes::bows:

Marauderjack :burnout: :D

CentralMaRobit
12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Blizzack Snow Tires WS-50, 225/60QR16's Front and 235/65 on the Rear using appropriate steel rims and put 4 (yes, that is 4) 50lb bags of river stone in the trunk evenly distributed. You will never get stuck in the snow again. Ever. Do not carry passengers back there..you have enough weight. If you do, take out some stone.

Aren Jay
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM

fordman
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I tried the oem tires when I owned my 04 in the snow. I would rather have walked.

Bought snow tires for my 03 this year..................PHENOMIN AL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORTH EVERY PENNY.

P.S. - I bought them at tirerack.com. I paid just over 300 bucks total.

swc69
12-29-2008, 04:17 PM
tires it is all tires.

if cost is an issue, get some firestone winterforce 16's and steelies.

I run 215 65 16 front and 225 70 16 rear. cost is about $70 a tire and 50+ for each rim.

Yup. I've run these in the winter for 4 years. Just bought a new set last month. Add a little weight in the trunk and it'll run like a tank in the snow.

Added bonus - with steelies and center caps you look like a cop car. It keeps people out of your way on the expressway.

Jake Steel
12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
i live in illinois and i bought some brand new 16" steelies from my local ford dealer(4@$81.oo) i mounted new cooper cs4's have a little weight in the trunk.someone here suggested to turn the traction control off and in the city turn the overdrive off, i get around just great but on the highway turn the o/d,on i havent had any trouble in the snow yet wooo hoooo ........good luck

offroadkarter
12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, and these tires are so ugly on my car that I sorta hope we get lotsa snow to make up for it.LOL ;)

ill take your snow, i have this to drive in it now :D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/4c2c0d22.jpg

Aren Jay
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Egon Spengler
12-31-2008, 06:30 AM
We are getting around 6" today and I forgot my trunk weight! I hope these Winterforces can get a good bite without the weight!!!

Aren Jay
01-01-2009, 12:29 AM

sconut1
01-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I know we're chatting about tires and Marauders in the snow, but my thoughts are why destroy an MM by driving it in the winter anyway? The price of a set of snow tires and rims will go a long way (maybe 1/2 way) to buying a winter beater!

stangracr
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
We dont take the Marauder out when its bad but we do use the car for trips. I just hate to get caught out in some slick stuff. I just bought an extra set of Marauder wheels with excellent frt tires. I just need a pair of 18" snow tires.

ed

2,4shofast
01-06-2009, 01:31 AM
IMHO, driving in winter is all about having the right tires. I put snow tires on my Mustang GT for daily driving and it's awesome in the snow. I use my Marauder's stock wheels and BFGs for winter driving and the poor thing can hardly get started on slick roads. Of course, the rears are nearly bald. Not sure how that happened. :lol:

Scott Im pretty sure I know how your tires are bald and have videos to prove it haha!

I didnt mind driving my Marauder in the snow with the BFG's but I am glad that she is put away this year! I agree with the rest...winter tires are a great investment if you drive in the snow a lot IMO.

swc69
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I know we're chatting about tires and Marauders in the snow, but my thoughts are why destroy an MM by driving it in the winter anyway? The price of a set of snow tires and rims will go a long way (maybe 1/2 way) to buying a winter beater!

I live on a dirt road. Summer is bad, winter is worse. Maybe I should post pics of my MM covered in mud.

Vortech347
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Scott Im pretty sure I know how your tires are bald and have videos to prove it haha!

I didnt mind driving my Marauder in the snow with the BFG's but I am glad that she is put away this year! I agree with the rest...winter tires are a great investment if you drive in the snow a lot IMO.

Hey how come I wasn't let in on this video....:alone:

I wana see!!!

BTW I got stuck in my parents driveway last night. 5000rpm in 2nd gear the BFG's started digging and I finally got out. Such crap for tires.

2,4shofast
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM

I wana see!!!

BTW I got stuck in my parents driveway last night. 5000rpm in 2nd gear the BFG's started digging and I finally got out. Such crap for tires.

They are from when Scott and I got tuned at Element when Adam was in town.....I still have a copy I will show you sometime...

The roads the past few days have been crap so I have no doubts about you getting stuck in this mess:burnout:

Vortech347
01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
damn it, I had to work that day. If you're free friday you should stop by.

rauder775
01-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I did the whole Tirerack rim & tire combo and it has worked quite well in Ohio winters. I was even caught in the Blizzard in '07 near Cleveland and that thing just "tracked" itself around...pretty impressive in my book.

Marauderjack
01-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Check this out.......:D

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-164378

Fourth Horseman
01-10-2009, 09:15 PM

I wana see!!!

Trenches by Matt(tm).

MidnightStalker
01-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Ive been getting around on a set of goodyear assurance triple treads. They were rated as a 10 in snow traction (by goodyear, go figure) but are quite bald now, and I still manage to get around eventually. I dont put any weight in my trunk, theres just a few secrets i know...
1. dont stop if you dont have to, coast slowly to yellow/red lights, coast through stop signs if theres no police, other cars, etc.
2. if you DO get stuck, try rocking the car (reverse, drive, reverse, drive, etc)
3. If all else fails, keep a mini shovel in the trunk :)

Best of luck to all!