PDA

View Full Version : I have an Import car now... is it any good?

Motorhead350
12-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Well it's not quite in my claws yet. A family friend told me (not asked me) that I would be buying his 1982 Nissan 280ZX from him for a price of $500. I've always liked these cars and wanted one which is why he probably decided to practially give it to me. It's in very nice shape, but not perfect. It's easily worth more than $500, but he has money and knows I really don't... I guess car stores like this are true after all.

I do not know much about these cars other than how easily you can put in a Chevy 350. I am not doing that because I want to keep it a cruizer and will leave it 100% stock unless it lacks a CD player. Does anyone know how good these cars are, how good the straight six engine is, how easily I can find parts for a model like this, exc?

I plan on driving it from time to time in places that will probably not welcome the car... like suburban cruise nights or Rockabilly concerts. This will not hault my 65 Chevy or getting the Marauder back to 100%... but might slightly delay them. Just wanna know if anyone knows anything about these cars. I haven't agreed to accept the car yet since I haven't seen it in ten years or so, but it's been in storage for about two years.

Let me know what you know!

Thanks.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
12-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Didn't you have to pay someone to put a chevy engine in a chevy? So now you are going to put a chevy engine in a non chevy (little steeper learning curve there).

Motorhead350
12-30-2008, 11:12 AM
No and no. I mentioned that I know you can put a Chevy engine in this car easily, but I will not do it. I got a Chevy engine in and out of the 65 Chevy myself, but it's had some problems being lined up properly due to frame damage I wasn't even aware of... it's really annoying when I get heat from other when they've never even seen the mess. Not you, but in general.

12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Needs pics

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Normally they are POS rust buckets that deserve to be crushed into fine powder and melted down for use in urinal construction.

Otherwise, there are V8 swap kits out there for them, but I'm willing to be the car is not worth the mouse crap that is more than likely infesting it's rotted japanese unibody.....

J D
12-30-2008, 12:24 PM
couple things,

First great revised sig same info, just not as obnoxious, gone up a maturity notch by finally seeing that bigger is not always better.

Second I think your Mercedes is a 280SL not 260

and Third, congrats that's a great import, try the Nissan boards for knowledge of the tuner. Just don't let the tuner lifestyle rub off on ya.

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Google is your friend here. ( Hey, I said that once before and got jumped all over... imagine that...)

Google "V8 280z"......... I did.... it's easy.

fastblackmerc
12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Good luck with that ricer POS.....

Just don't post the problems you'll encounter owning it here......... and there will be many.....

Go bother these guys

http://www.zcar.com

Joe Walsh
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Google is your friend here. ( Hey, I said that once before and got jumped all over... imagine that...)

Google "V8 280z"......... I did.... it's easy.

But...But...But....

That might end this entire thread on the Marauder board!...and.....Gosh........c ountless threads about how the 350SBC won't fit right in the Z!

BTW: Check out "Scarab Z" on Google also....although personally, I would buy a "Monster Miata".

fastblackmerc
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
But...But...But....

That might end this entire thread on the Marauder board!...and.....Gosh........c ountless threads about how the 350SBC won't fit right in the Z!

BTW: Check out "Scarab Z" on Google also....although personally, I would buy a "Monster Miata".

Or "How I got screwed by the body shop that I asked to do the engine swap"

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I seen those Miata swaps..... WOW! I'd have settled for a 3.8 turbo....but I won't fit in Fagiata..... for all sorts of reasons....

At OC, did you see the Opel GT with the BB Chevy?
I'm sure Dom could do that too....

justbob
01-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow, i guess i'm the only one that kinda liked them little z's. My dad had one for a while and it was a blast to drive.

Ms. Denmark
01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Normally they are POS rust buckets that deserve to be crushed into fine powder and melted down for use in urinal construction.

Otherwise, there are V8 swap kits out there for them, but I'm willing to be the car is not worth the mouse crap that is more than likely infesting it's rotted japanese unibody.....Uh....you're posting on MM.NET just in case you thought you were on another forum. ;)

n00bkiller944
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Good little car... It would make a good daily driver while you work on your mm and chevy's... What's going on with the blazer now? I thought it was all ready to be your pretty new beater?

I would reccomend not throwing too much money in the Z, its a fun car, but just drive it until it dies and then sell it to some kid trying to learn to drift... If its a straight shift then you could easily get 1000 bucks for it from someone wanting to turbo it, even if its not running.

Edit: Need pics

TAKEDOWN
01-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Would James Dean drive a Nissan?

03blackvegas
01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
One thing I've learned, just because a person can get a car real cheap, does'nt mean it's the right thing to do.

O's Fan Rich
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Uh....you're posting on MM.NET just in case you thought you were on another forum. ;)

You are correct, I have responded wrong to Dom's thread here on .net.
Please, give me some time to reconsider my comment and rethink what I said.
I'll follow up later on with a another post to make amends once I have gathered my thoughts completely.

Aren Jay
01-01-2009, 05:53 PM
.............................. ........

UncleLar
01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey Dom,there was no 260SL,it's a 280,remember us talking about the European version I missed out on buying in 1975? It's a nice little car.
I'm not big on 280Z's the original 240's were pretty decent but the 260's and 280's got too bloated and loaded with crap.The 300 twin turbo had the basics to make a screaming import.But if the 280Z runs good and doesn't need much in the way of repairs you could still have some fun with it.Try searching for a forum that covers that car and find out what to look out for,every car has some weak areas or issues after a while,some cost a bundle to fix,some you can repair yourself dirt cheap.But don't even think about restoring the Dachshund 280Z. Finding the right place to get the 280SL and spending a reasonable amount of dough on it would be much more worthwhile.Heck,let me take a look at the MB SL and I might trade ya the Tootsie Roll for it if it ain't too bad.I have always wanted one.

Motorhead350
01-08-2009, 12:34 AM
well the reason I say the Benz is a 280 and not 260 is because it doesn't have the original engine in it. My dad got it new and blew the engine years later and had it replaced. The thing is he doesn't think the 2.6 is in there anymore and it's probably a 2.8 which is why I say 280SL... but I am not sure. The car is really nice, really nice! But it needs little things and because it's a Mercedes everything is expensive. I know it's needs new exhaust and a head gasket.

Now the Nissan was something I will juet drive around for fun. I have no intention to put in a V8 or anything. If I could I would, but not right now. I already found a buyer for it that wants to put a turbo on and it and all that Jazz. I just want to drive it and cruise in the summer. I'll probably check it out later today and see if it's worth my time or not.

UncleLar I don't know if I could part with the 71. My mom and dad went for their first date in it, so it's kinda gotta stay in the family. :cool: I'll drive it by to you someday. Maybe it'll attract Mexican girls like your car does! :eek:

Haggis
01-08-2009, 05:06 AM
UncleLar I don't know if I could part with the 71. My mom and dad went for their first date in it, so it's kinda gotta stay in the family.

Don't sit in the back seat.

wchain
01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Mercedes never had a 2.6L offered in the 1971 W113 Chassis.

The W113 had a 2.3L when it first came out in 63, then a 2.5L became available for the 1967 model year only, and from 68-71, the only engine available in the W113 Chassis is the 2.8L I-6.

01-08-2009, 09:10 AM
LOL. As long as you don't need to change the brake pads you'll be fine.

Motorhead350
01-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Don't sit in the back seat.

There is no back seat. :eek:

Thanks for the info wchain!

UncleLar
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
The SL's were 190,230,250 and 280.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/1971_mercedes_benz_280sl_short _take_road_test

Raudermaster
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
servinitup.com. Darius of that site has a 240z and it's out of control. Here's a few vids of it. It's a 350 Vortech'd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3DlpSE1jsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DqfNAGFCVU&feature=related

I don't know about you, but there aren't too many cars that can keep up/beat an R1.

Rocknthehawk
01-09-2009, 07:07 PM
yeah...the mercedes is really nice...

it needs...small things... like a headgasket.....HAHAHAHA

Motorhead350
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
yeah...the mercedes is really nice...

it needs...small things... like a headgasket.....HAHAHAHA

It's been sitting a while my friend. If you look at it you will see that it's mint. Everything is fine, but it needs stuff like gaskets and hoses replaced... as any car would that has been sitting for over ten years.

Rocknthehawk
01-10-2009, 08:26 PM
It's been sitting a while my friend. If you look at it you will see that it's mint. Everything is fine, but it needs stuff like gaskets and hoses replaced... as any car would that has been sitting for over ten years.

You should know, a headgasket is not a small or easy job.

Motorhead350
01-11-2009, 12:18 AM
You should know, a headgasket is not a small or easy job.

Oh ya I know, but I heard for a straight six it's a little easier. I'm not messing with that car though... at least not now. Heck it'll probably sit for a few more years, but man I want it on the road... not nearly as bad as the 65 Chevy though.

hot-rauder
01-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Oh ya I know, but I heard for a straight six it's a little easier. I'm not messing with that car though... at least not now. Heck it'll probably sit for a few more years, but man I want it on the road... not nearly as bad as the 65 Chevy though.

No Offense Dom, but I just saw your thread on not being able to put brake pads or discs on.... I do not reccomend you do a head gasket, ever.

Motorhead350
01-12-2009, 12:45 AM
No Offense Dom, but I just saw your thread on not being able to put brake pads or discs on.... I do not reccomend you do a head gasket, ever.

None taken. I learn as I go. Do you know how to play a guitar? If not I recomend you start with a Squire and if you are good enough to make a Gibson ring go for it. :flamer:

Rocknthehawk
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
None taken. I learn as I go. Do you know how to play a guitar? If not I recomend you start with a Squire and if you are good enough to make a Gibson ring go for it. :flamer:

I'll answer your question. No, he doesn't play guitar. But he can bang a drum pretty well. I recorded a cd with my squire, and you wouldn't believe how well it sounds/plays. No need to waste the money on a wannabe-rockabilly-gibson, unless you're simply trying to give off an image you're not.

Doing a headgasket sucks, period. I'll wait for the how-to thread when you tear it apart.

Motorhead350
01-13-2009, 01:52 AM
I think Gretch is more the choice for Rockabilly people and it's Gibsons if they are hallowbodies. :shake: It's weird how some people only play select companies depending on the music style. I play my Gibson Flying V at Rockabilly shows because everyone has a frickin Gretch or something else big and hallow. I think I might bring out my 2000 Ibanez RG220B for the next one.

Nothing aimed about what you said about guitars and Rockabilly, but I know exactly what you mean. You can't be true Punk Rock unless you have stickers all over your $50 guitar right??? :rolleyes:

Squires actually do sound nice, the ones that cost a little more.