PDA

View Full Version : Bad design by Ford...

hot-rauder
01-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Reading up a little on my new Fusion, and well Ford had to mess this one up too!!

I have never even heard of cartridge oil changes, but I'm not a mechanic. From what I read they are a PITA, and expensive if you go to a dealer.

Anyone have advice or experience?

Heres pics from a Fusion Forum members oil change.....

Oil Filter drain plug
http://mlav.com/car/fusion/filt1.jpg

Filter cartridge and O-rings
http://mlav.com/car/fusion/filt3.jpg

Filter Housing...
http://mlav.com/car/fusion/filt4.jpg

1.Remove filter drain plug.
2.Remove cartridge.
3.Remove filter housing.
4.Replace O-Ring on housing.
5.Reinstall housing.
6.Install cartridge.
7.Replace O-Ring on drain plug.
8.Reinstall drain plug.

FRAM charges $12 for just the cartridge and NO O-RINGS!
Mazda, same motor as Mazda3, charges $5 shipped with O-Rings lol

SVT_MERC
01-02-2009, 02:29 AM
I've dealt with these on an '04 6.0 Diesel F-250, Oil (and fuel if i'm not mistaken) filters are that style. It was very easy on that, not sure of a fusion though.

RoyLPita
01-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Where I work, we do not charge any different for the Fusion 4 cyl oil change with this filter.

UncleLar
01-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Those bring back memories,Chevy's had that style standard until sometime in the 1960's.
After you dropped the canister you got to pull the filter and then clean the inside of the canister with solvent or parts cleaner.One advantage that they had was when you changed your oil it was really easy to look at the filter and see what kinds of chunks of crud and stuff was in your oil.

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Those bring back memories,Chevy's had that style standard until sometime in the 1960's.
After you dropped the canister you got to pull the filter and then clean the inside of the canister with solvent or parts cleaner.One advantage that they had was when you changed your oil it was really easy to look at the filter and see what kinds of chunks of crud and stuff was in your oil.

I was told that was why they did this, and so they would waste less metal.

Luckily, they designed the car with the filter in the back of the motor, with nothing blocking it.... unlike the Panthers, which I always had to turn my wheel to get a filter in there lol.

SC Cheesehead
01-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Yup. Did lotsa oil changes on small block Chevies with these back in my HS days.

RF Overlord
01-02-2009, 07:54 AM
FRAM charges $12 for just the cartridge and NO O-RINGS!Don't waste your money buying FRAM products. They're mostly mediocre filters that are vastly overpriced.

If you need a filter in a hurry, AutoZone sells the factory-recommended Motorcraft FL2017B for $6.69.

...and NAPA sells their 7203 (Gold) for $5.49

larryo340
01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
As said by others this is not a new concept. Some new Toyota models have this also, as well as Mercedes Benz. I wouldn't replace the filter without replacing the O-rings at the same time. Plus as you said it is in a very easy spot to service.

MOTORCRAFT Part # FL2017B is only $5.29 with/O-rings here (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php) buy a bunch so the shipping is cheaper per unit.

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
As said by others this is not a new concept. Some new Toyota models have this also, as well as Mercedes Benz. I wouldn't replace the filter without replacing the O-rings at the same time. Plus as you said it is in a very easy spot to service.

MOTORCRAFT Part # FL2017B is only $5.29 with/O-rings here (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php) buy a bunch so the shipping is cheaper per unit.

Muchos Gracias Larryo

:D

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Don't waste your money buying FRAM products. They're mostly mediocre filters that are vastly overpriced.

If you need a filter in a hurry, AutoZone sells the factory-recommended Motorcraft FL2017B for $6.69.

...and NAPA sells their 7203 (Gold) for $5.49

Say what you will baout FRAM, never had a problem, but wont use them with this car because of price... and I mostly used them because of the no slip grip. I love that stuff.... I hate oil filter wrenches. PITA.

Got_1
01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I work at a ford dealer. we don't pull the drain plug in the filter housing. we just unscrew the housing. a little messier but one less o-ring to put in. we don't charge extra to do the oil change but the motorcraft filters themselves cost more.

whd507
01-03-2009, 05:20 AM
a lot of cars have these filters these days, nothing new under the sun.

n00bkiller944
01-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Both my volvo and my mercedes use these, they are very simple to change, and i pay 5 dollars for the volvo filter with o-ring online, and 7.50 for the mercedes one with all FIVE o-rings online. It is nice being able to see what your filter is cleaning out of your engine and I find them to be just as simple to change as normal filters...

gcgarner
01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
^^I agree^^

My old '83 Honda Goldwing had a cartridge filter. It's amazing to see how much crap a filter actually catches. It was a little messier to change the oil, but you're obviously not doing your own oil changes.

hot-rauder
01-03-2009, 02:44 PM
^^I agree^^

My old '83 Honda Goldwing had a cartridge filter. It's amazing to see how much crap a filter actually catches. It was a little messier to change the oil, but you're obviously not doing your own oil changes.

Yes I am... I always have.

I was unsure about doing this cars oil since I had never had any experience with cartridge oils filters, and had heard bad things about them...

Thank you guys for the insight on how it is not harder to due, and I did think it would be cool to see what the filter catches.

jgc61sr2002
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
What goes around comes around.

My 65 Vette had a simular type of filter.

Many foriegn cars have that type of filter. Mercedes included.

n00bkiller944
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Yes I am... I always have.

I was unsure about doing this cars oil since I had never had any experience with cartridge oils filters, and had heard bad things about them...

Thank you guys for the insight on how it is not harder to due, and I did think it would be cool to see what the filter catches.

Agreed! I do all of my oil changes and such myself as well... One thing I would note hot-rauder is you should really get a filter cap wrench that fits properly. The casings are plastic and very easy to crack if you clamp to tightly with adjustable filter pliers! I would assume that an adjustable strap wrench would work, but they wont make the tight fit it my case. Plus you can be sure the housing is properly torqued! Just my two cents, hope it helps

hot-rauder
01-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Agreed! I do all of my oil changes and such myself as well... One thing I would note hot-rauder is you should really get a filter cap wrench that fits properly. The casings are plastic and very easy to crack if you clamp to tightly with adjustable filter pliers! I would assume that an adjustable strap wrench would work, but they wont make the tight fit it my case. Plus you can be sure the housing is properly torqued! Just my two cents, hope it helps

But I have the Billy Mays strap wrenches!! lol

I am purchasing one from Mazda, but thanks for the heads up as well!

Murader03
01-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Boy, does that bring back memories of old!:) Just goes to show, what goes around comes around. I can remember my 1st car back in the'60's and oil changes, '37 Plymouth coupe. The filter was on top of the engine. Top cover came off, you pulled the filter out, and then had to use an oil syphon (sp?) to suck rest of the oil out. Then when I started working for Dad at the garage, the filters were underneath, were a little easier, but could get messy at times. Ah, the old days!:rolleyes: