PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm going to keep my Marauder a little longer.

Aren Jay
01-02-2009, 03:22 AM

Spectragod
01-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Wow, that's about 30k more than I would pay for a VW. The good news is that you can look into that 4wd/awd conversion with a little more sincerity now.

Hacklemerc
01-02-2009, 05:37 AM
damn.

:bigcry:

maybe next time.

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 05:58 AM
that is an amazing price considering they were about double that new...

Amazing concept for a car, but lots of problems

Joe Walsh
01-02-2009, 06:01 AM
that is an amazing price considering they were about double that new...

Amazing concept for a car, but lots of problems

Like trying to sell a Volkswagon for 80+ large...

nomad
01-02-2009, 06:11 AM
"Looks like I'm going to keep my Marauder a little longer."

I am sure this brings tears to most members eyes knowing they can expect your riveting, insightful, profound, and always,always relevant posts.:rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
01-02-2009, 06:13 AM
"Looks like I'm going to keep my Marauder a little longer."

I am sure this brings tears to most members eyes knowing they can expect your riveting, insightful, profound, and always,always relevant posts.:rolleyes:

LMAO

The Phaeton board lets out a long sigh of relief!

Joe Walsh
01-02-2009, 06:19 AM
OOPS!
I was wrong!

Those Phaetons cost close to 100K!!!!...:eek:

http://cars.about.com/od/luxurysedans/fr/vwphaeton_tst.htm

TiTo35
01-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Yea Joe....it is a v-12...100k for a volkswagen is CRAZY...

NOW...Aren Jay...if you stop typing about cars, you can buy one...shoulda coulda wouldas get you nowhere buddy! :lol

DTRMiguel
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
So does this mean once u sell the marauder u will no longer post on here?

Ms. Denmark
01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
So does this mean once u sell the marauder u will no longer post on here?
You better start thinking what you'll do with all your spare time, Mike. :D If Aren leaves us, we all better. ;) I say keep the car. :)

Richy04
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Here's and Idea, buy a Passat with a V-6 and have only half of the typical VW troubles every 12 Cyl Phaeton owner is having!!

Save your money,the car sucked in 04 and still does now..

Aren Jay
01-02-2009, 10:16 AM

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
They were 110K new US$ 160K New CDN$'s, just 5 years ago. Price is so low because who wants to own a 160K VW when you can own a 160K Audi or Bentley instead.

0-60 in 6.3 second.
tops out over 200mph if you pull the governor.

:laugh:

:rofl: 6.3! from a w12!! :rofl:

Buy the Passat and get the same numbers.

Joe Walsh
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
:laugh:

:rofl: 6.3! from a v12!! :rofl:

Buy the Passat and get the same numbers.

I would hope that a W12 could accelerate quicker than that!
(My bone stock 85 GT could do better than that and it cost me $11,400 brand new.)

BTW: Passat's quality suck too. A co-worker had so many problems* with his Passat that he dumped it for a used Ford Explorer.

*one of the many problems included having his heated seats go 'haywire' and almost starting the Passat on fire!

252life
01-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Check out this clip (1:40) form Top Gear about cars that loses the most in value, VW Phaeton loses £85 a day in value , that's about $120!

Reminds me of the old 90's Audi V8 , they can now be bought for $2000..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasyKDyr5_I&feature=PlayList&p=F0BF440B97F28A90&playnext=1&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasyKDyr5_I&feature=PlayList&p=F0BF440B97F28A90&playnext=1&index=2

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasyKDyr5_I&feature=PlayList&p=F0BF440B97F28A90&playnext=1&index=2)

RF Overlord
01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
6.3! from a w12!!

Buy the Passat and get the same numbers.Better yet, buy an R32 for under $33k. Only VW I would even remotely consider owning.

BTW, what the hell does "Toureg" mean?

or "Routan"????

or "Tiguan"???????????

Who the hell makes up VW's names, some 5 year-old with a Scrabble® game in front of them?

Joe Walsh
01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Better yet, buy an R32 for under $33k. Only VW I would even remotely consider owning.

or "Routan"????

or "Tiguan"???????????

Who the hell makes up VW's names, some 5 year-old with a Scrabble® game in front of them?

:lol:

They are stupid names...why make a potential customer, or anyone talking about it, struggle to pronounce the name of your product?

O's Fan Rich
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I like that Twin Turbo Diesel SUV they got.... impressive power at least for 85k......

SC Cheesehead
01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Better yet, buy an R32 for under $33k. Only VW I would even remotely consider owning.

or "Routan"????

or "Tiguan"???????????

Bob, what do you expect from a company that coined the term "farfegnugen" to describe the driving experience?

I mean, it it were applied to American cars...."Hey guys, let's go for a drive in our Maruaders and experience some farfegnugen.....":D

O's Fan Rich
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM
"fartfignewtons"? What's that mean?

Aren Jay
01-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Dr Caleb
01-02-2009, 02:01 PM

"Blue Men" of the Sahara desert. Pretty tough tribe of peoples.

or "Routan"????

A group of luxury islands near Belize, IIRC.

or "Tiguan"???????????

Not sure, but I think it's a flying squirrel. SE Asia. But spelt a little differently.

Spectragod
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
They were 110K new US$ 160K New CDN$'s, just 5 years ago. Price is so low because who wants to own a 160K VW when you can own a 160K Audi or Bentley instead.

0-60 in 6.3 second.
tops out over 200mph if you pull the governor.

:bs:, the price is low because it's a POS. You know, you really don't deserve your Marauder. I think I saw a Pinto you might be interested in on Ebay, it didn't have a Govenor, but I do think that it included a Kentucky Colonel hat.:D

O's Fan Rich
01-02-2009, 02:44 PM
:bs:, the price is low because it's a POS. You know, you really don't deserve your Marauder. I think I saw a Pinto you might be interested in on Ebay, it didn't have a Govenor, but I do think that it included a Kentucky Colonel hat.:D

DUDE!!!
If it's a wagon, hook a guy up!!!

Windsor58
01-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I like that Twin Turbo Diesel SUV they got.... impressive power at least for 85k......

Nice concept but very bad quality. I bought one of those 553 ft-lb V-10 TDIs. In the first two years it spent a total of 6 months in the shop. It had the engine/trans out twice (and needed it again when I got rid of it). It had 8 computers replaced, two wiring harnesses replaced, and man, many more. The longest single stay in the shop was 6 weeks.
It was a blast to drive, smooth, quiet, comfortable, good mileage, quick, but it was always broke. More than once, the shop called to say it was ready/fixed only to have it break down from the parking place to the driveway where I was to pick it up.
If the Pheaton is anything like the Touareg, stay away!! I think a lot of the same computers/electrical components were used in both vehicles.
I learned to drive in a 1960 VW Bug, and always had a soft spot for VWs. The Touareg cured me of that permanantly.

O's Fan Rich
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice concept but very bad quality. I bought one of those 553 ft-lb V-10 TDIs. In the first two years it spent a total of 6 months in the shop. It had the engine/trans out twice (and needed it again when I got rid of it). It had 8 computers replaced, two wiring harnesses replaced, and man, many more. The longest single stay in the shop was 6 weeks.
It was a blast to drive, smooth, quiet, comfortable, good mileage, quick, but it was always broke. More than once, the shop called to say it was ready/fixed only to have it break down from the parking place to the driveway where I was to pick it up.
If the Pheaton is anything like the Touareg, stay away!! I think a lot of the same computers/electrical components were used in both vehicles.
I learned to drive in a 1960 VW Bug, and always had a soft spot for VWs. The Touareg cured me of that permanantly.

OUCH!!! I MEAN OUCH!!!!!!!

ok they are on my "do not consider list"

Aren Jay
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM

CBT
01-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I've only seen one on the road, was right next to it on the highway. I says to Amy "Hey look! A hunnerd thousand dollar Volkswagon!" Then did a victorious loser flyby, cause the grey haired lady driving it was clueless to the fact that I just raced her and won. Amy said it looked like a short limo.

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure, but I think it's a flying squirrel. SE Asia. But spelt a little differently.

Actually, after reading an article on the Tiguan, it is a cross between a Tiger and Iguana... no joke.

Supposed to stand for Tiger's aggresiveness and Iguana's chaemeleon like features.

Windsor58
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
The Phaeton is not like any other VW.

Maybe, but it still uses a lot of the same components as the Touareg. The V-10TDI was even developed for both vehicles.

The fanciest factory in the world won't help if you use poor quality components. Even if the quality of the Phaeton was better, the VW dealerships (at least in the US) don't know how to treat high end vehicles like this or their owners. The vehicles are too complex for the dealers service departments and all they end up doing is changing parts until the symptoms (temporarily) goes away. I don't think there was more than a two week period without some problem with my Touareg in the entire time that I owned it. I just gave up taking it in every time the computers started throwing errors. Otherwise, it would have been in the shop almost all of the time that I owned it.

This is just my opinion, but developing this opinion cost me a small fortune. Consider it fair warning.

Dr Caleb
01-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Actually, after reading an article on the Tiguan, it is a cross between a Tiger and Iguana... no joke.

Supposed to stand for Tiger's aggresiveness and Iguana's chaemeleon like features.

Cool! Photos? Share with the class!

I picture the ultimate stealth predator, slightly more dangerous than an angry black panther at night.

Dr Caleb
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
This is just my opinion, but developing this opinion cost me a small fortune. Consider it fair warning.

Good to know. I always had the impression that the Touareg was a cheap(er) Porsche Cayenne. All the fun, 30% lower sticker and 100% fewer people giving you the 'wanker' sign.

Aren Jay
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 10:40 PM

I picture the ultimate stealth predator, slightly more dangerous than an angry black panther at night.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=122799/pageNumber=1

itd just an average crossover though:(

Windsor58
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
All Phaeton parts are made in Germany were they know what they are doing. North American VW parts are made in Mexico, or atleast they were. The Phaeton really is a different beast from any other VW. Also the Phaeton has special mechanics trained in fixing them, supposedly there should be one at every dealership, in reality you have to go to the Phaeton supported dealerships. Although they do give you better than average service. It is like being a roman citizen in rome instead of being a greek.

If you are really considering buying one of them, you really need to do more research. Touaregs also had specially trained mechanics (usually the same guys that got the Pheaton training got the Touareg training due to the common systems). In the US, the special training for Touareg (and Phaeton) mechanics was dropped a few years ago. And Touaregs were assembled in Europe of mostly German components. I am sure that you will also find that Phaetons are not 100% German components. They have only slightly more German content than Touaregs.

hot-rauder
01-02-2009, 10:49 PM
All Phaeton parts are made in Germany were they know what they are doing. North American VW parts are made in Mexico, or atleast they were. The Phaeton really is a different beast from any other VW. Also the Phaeton has special mechanics trained in fixing them, supposedly there should be one at every dealership, in reality you have to go to the Phaeton supported dealerships. Although they do give you better than average service. It is like being a roman citizen in rome instead of being a greek.

Stop.

Because it is made in Germany, does not mean it is perfect. You dont honestly think that there is not a guy picking his butt as a bad Pheaton wiring harness passed him, or all of them passed him? People are lazy and if it doesnt affect them.... THEY DONT CARE.

Only the old VW beetle was made in Mexico, not all VW cars.

Dr Caleb
01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=122799/pageNumber=1

itd just an average crossover though:(

The cat/iguana. Not the car. :poke:

Haggis
01-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Uhhhh.....Iguana's do not have chaemeleon like features (change color (colour) to match their enviroment, I had one.

Naw, the 'Predator' from the movies is the ultimate killing machine!

Shora
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Only the old VW beetle was made in Mexico, not all VW cars.

Many of the current VWs are made in Germany.

Edit: Did I really say that^^^

What I wanted to say was that "many of the current VWs are made in Mexico".

Aren Jay
01-03-2009, 06:46 PM

TAKEDOWN
01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
^^^ Wow, talk about quality control! ^^^

SC Cheesehead
01-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Yeah, gotta hand it to the Germans, they build quality autos. I've toured the Z4/X5 factory about 15 miles north of my house; impressive.

dpotter
01-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Aren should buy VW and leave this site forever.

Haggis
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM

If you think that is impressive you ought to see their regulations on brewing beer.

Aren Jay
01-03-2009, 11:25 PM

SC Cheesehead
01-04-2009, 03:23 PM
If you think that is impressive you ought to see their regulations on brewing beer.

Yup; Reinheitsgebot, adopted in 1516. Mess up brewing beer over there and you're in deep shat.

Beer is serious business in Duetschland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAcvwSimEo

Smokie
01-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Ok I'm hijacking this thread for a second to opine. I note that some members, whom I like and respect, have taken a strong dislike to our member from the Great White North. Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall Aren pointedly flaming anyone (even when baited and provoked), using off color language, or being overly negative/juvenile. I can't say the same for some others. It disturbs me to see any member picked on for no apparent reason. ( Other than prolific and out of the ordinary threads/topics.) There is a pervasive mean-spirited attitude at work here and it's beneath most of you. JMHO I'm off my soapbox now.:)

Hi, I know that you don't know me but I will try to provide some insight as to why the person above mentioned is recieving a less than warm reception. This forum started in 2002 to coincide with the debut in June of 2002 of the Mercury Marauder. There are many of us here that date back to the beginning when we purchased the MM. brand new, we went thru a lot together in those 6 years, we met, broke bread, drank together, raced together; we know each other by sight and on a first name basis.

We shared our triumphs and mourned our losses, our common denominator is the car we love, which to many of us is more than "just a car", so sometimes when someone demonstrates on more than one ocassion a flippant attitude toward "our car" we can get a little defensive and let that person that obviously does not share our passion know how we feel.

This I realize seems mean spirited to you and I do respect your opinion, try to imagine how you would feel if on more than one ocassion someone was to for example say unpleasant things about your adorable co-pilot and perhaps this may help you to understand how the other side feels.

Respectfully, Javier.:)

Aren Jay
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM

hot-rauder
01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Don't report anything bad about OUR car's, someone might get upset.

Not what Javier was saying.

He said that YOU have made numerous posts about not liking your Marauder, or how you are in favor of many other vehicles instead of the Marauder.

Not only that, but you have offended soem members due to personal matters. It is your inablity to see the forum as an actual communtiy of friends and in some cases family, that has you on people bad side. You make remarks, no matter how simple they are, that offend people or make them lose respect for you.

You are very sligh with how and where you post, and with what you say. I know for a fact that you are very intelligent but I do not undersand why you seem to antagonize people on the forum and say unneccesary comments.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I hate all VWs with a passion.

MM2004
01-04-2009, 04:23 PM
OK,

ms. denmark and Smokie posted very sincere and true statements concerning this thread, forum and members within.

The car brought us together and is our common denominator.

Let us play nice together and throw the personal attacks to the side.

Everyone of us here knows how to respect one-another.

No doubt in my mind, everyone will do the right thing.

Mike.

Joe Walsh
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I will try to stay civil....

And continue to hope and pray that the VW Phaeton proves to be a superior car!

Blackened300a
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
We shared our triumphs and mourned our losses, our common denominator is the car we love, which to many of us is more than "just a car", so sometimes when someone demonstrates on more than one ocassion a flippant attitude toward "our car" we can get a little defensive and let that person that obviously does not share our passion know how we feel.

Agreed 100% I get into arguments about my car defending it to people who dont understand what it is

You are very sligh with how and where you post, and with what you say. I know for a fact that you are very intelligent but I do not undersand why you seem to antagonize people on the forum and say unneccesary comments.

He's a post whore and needs attention at all costs. This is what irritates me the most.

Everyone of us here knows how to respect one-another.

Respect is earned not given. If you mean knowing right from wrong and acting as a civil human being. We can do that.

I will try to stay civil....

And continue to hope and pray that the VW Phaeton proves to be a superior car!

How I hope so too!

Bigdogjim
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I have only question for Aren Jay.

If you live in an area that has bitting cold and tons of snow as the normal weather then why on Gods green earth would you get a preformace car to be your daily driver?

Should have held the "subie" for a winter beater. IMHO :):):)

Aren Jay
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Rocknthehawk
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
holy crap.....if you type the wrong two keys at the same time....it deletes everything! i just deleted a giant paragraph i typed out....

I'll sum it up. I respect your ability to keep cool when a majority of longtime members whore your threads with stupid coments, and then call you names in he process. it's sad you need to sift through so much bs to get an honest answer.

from one famous person to another, you have my respect!

nomad
01-05-2009, 04:32 AM
quote "Infact I couldn't find a single Vortec'ed Marauder that did let go."
You may have erred in your research. Mine "let go".

Joe Walsh
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
turns out if you ask if a trilogy can be made to use air intercooling or just without an intercooler, people have a conniption fit. (yes i use big words or classical words)

the 'conniption' was because; if you had done any research on the trilogy/eaton supercharger,
you would have known how it mounts/functions and that air-to-air intercooling is a ridiculous question.
I won't even address the idea of deleting an integral intercooler from a complete, tested supercharger system.

then there is that fact the trilogy seems to be a great company but unless you're on the other marauder site, they won't talk to you.

they probably are trying to save their reputation by not selling you a kit.

Please buy a Vortec and slap it onto a VW Phaeton.

....still attempting to be civil.

:rolleyes:

O's Fan Rich
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Yup; Reinheitsgebot, adopted in 1516. Mess up brewing beer over there and you're in deep shat.

Beer is serious business in Duetschland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAcvwSimEo

What happens if you stick a lime slice in one?

:puke:

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM

I like a lemon or orange slice in hefewiezen or white ales, but this is against Man Law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXk8h1iHAw&feature=PlayList&p=495789BEE6EEEB8F&playnext=1&index=10

RF Overlord
01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
What happens if you stick a lime slice in one?You're only allowed to do that with Corona or Dos Equis.

Dr Caleb
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM

They tried that in Poland for a short time.

Aren Jay
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Windsor58
01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Ok I'm hijacking this thread for a second to opine. I note that some members, whom I like and respect, have taken a strong dislike to our member from the Great White North. Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall Aren pointedly flaming anyone (even when baited and provoked), using off color language, or being overly negative/juvenile. I can't say the same for some others. It disturbs me to see any member picked on for no apparent reason. ( Other than prolific and out of the ordinary threads/topics.) There is a pervasive mean-spirited attitude at work here and it's beneath most of you. JMHO I'm off my soapbox now.:)

Aren - If my posts were in any way considered mean-spirited, I apologize. None were intended to be. I enjoy reading your posts and feel like this is my second family here. I just wanted to let you know about my costly experience. If you do buy a Phaeton, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Aren Jay
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM

Dr Caleb
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
If you ever get a chance sit in one, up front.

Sounds like a nice ride.

Joe Walsh
01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a nice ride.

YES! YES!

PLEASE buy it!!!

Blackened300a
01-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Of course post/attention whore had to make a thread out of his post.

Dr Caleb
01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
'Ignore' is your friend.

Aren Jay
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM

TiTo35
01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
He ignored the whole CAM...:laugh:

Leadfoot281
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Isn't that like going to Hooters and NOT ordering buffalo wings?

I'm pretty sure Diabolical Jay has just clearlly defined the phrase "missing the point".

Geez, what's next? Going to Vegas and not gambling?

SC Cheesehead
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
He's got me lumped in with the CAM guys.

Don't know if I should be honored or pizzed!:D

Black_Noise
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
go stimulate the econemy, but it

Ms. Denmark
01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
He's got me lumped in with the CAM guys. (and gals)

Don't know if I should be honored or pizzed!:D

HONORED OF COURSE :coolman: