PDA

View Full Version : Another New Ford in the Family

Bluerauder
01-04-2009, 07:05 AM
My daughter's '99 Mustang was coming up on 98,000 miles and it was no longer meeting her needs for moving stuff around including her Chocolate Labrador Retriever. With FORD deals up and lots of incentives and employee pricing .... the time seemed right to jump on a deal. So, yesterday I helped her move up to a new car ...

2009 Ford Escape XLT
2.5 Liter I-4
FWD
White Suede Exterior (we used to call this "Cream")
Stone Cloth interior
"Sun & SYNC package" (Moonroof with SYNC system)
Sirius satellite radio
Safety Package
Roll Stability Control
MSRP - $25,270

Final Assembly in Kansas City, MO and we even got the build sheet.

With all incentives including Employee Pricing, customer cashback, Ford Loyalty mailers, etc -- we were able to get this one for $20,000 out the door.

She really likes the Escape and its features. She especially likes the higher visibilty that she gets. Her Mom and I get the added peace of mind that she is not running around in a 10-year old Mustang that was beginning to show its age. I am sure that she'll miss that Mustang for about another day or two --the transition from sporty to practical ain't easy -- until the features and the advantages of the Escape fully kick-in.

Maybe I'll get a chance to drive it today --- maybe not. ;)

Smokie
01-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Congratulations to you and your daughter Charlie!!!:beer: The Escape is far more versatile than the Mustang and you got her a great deal!!! I'm sure she will let Dad drive it.:burnout:

Ms. Denmark
01-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Good choice and nice price! We looked at the Escape a few years ago. One of the first things we noticed was the great visibility out the front because of the cab forward design. At the time we decided not to get it, mostly because we occasionally take cross country trips and it wasn't really made for comfort under those circumstances. But it would be one of my top picks if I'm ever in the market for a nice little SUV. Good job Dad! May she enjoy it in safety and peace of mind for many years to come. (Then when she's ready to move on.....you have my number. LOL);)

Bigdogjim
01-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Nice move! It well serve her well for years to come.

Enjoy:burnout:

rayjay
01-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Good job Dad! :beer: Nice price too. I kind of wish I was in the market now with all the deals.

DOOM
01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Hell of a deal! :up:

n00bkiller944
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Cool! Did you guys check out the hybrid version at all? I've been wanting to just test drive it for shi*s and giggles and see how it is for awhile now...

justbob
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
That escape sounds like a great choice for her needs.

Bluerauder
01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Cool! Did you guys check out the hybrid version at all? I've been wanting to just test drive it for shi*s and giggles and see how it is for awhile now...
Nope ... not at all. They had marked up all the Escape Hybrids by $5,000. Demand in this area is pretty high because hybrids can use the HOV lanes without regard to the occupancy limit.

n00bkiller944
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM
^^^Wow, bad markup! I'm not far down the road from you, what dealer did you end up going to?

Bluerauder
01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
^^^Wow, bad markup! I'm not far down the road from you, what dealer did you end up going to?
Cowles Parkway Ford

Haggis
01-05-2009, 05:30 AM
...her needs for moving stuff around including her Chocolate Labrador Retriever.

White Suede Exterior (we used to call this "Cream"). ;)

Not anymore. :lol:

Bluerauder
01-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Not anymore. :lol:
Exterior, Gordon .... exterior. :D Interior is "Stone" (but on the build sheet it is listed as Gray). Looks gray to me too. :P

O's Fan Rich
01-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Where's the pics?

Of the Choco lab?

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2009, 08:28 AM
First off, congrats to your daughter on her new vehicle. My wife loves hers.

We've got an '06 Hybrid, and I'm impressed with it. Much more responsive than I'd anticipated; good low end torque. My wife commutes about 60 miles daily, and she averages about 33 mpg.

Vehicle is roomy and comfortable, drives well on the road, and the CVT is okay after you get used to it.

We got ours with X Plan pricing, and the hybrid tax credit that was offered a couple yers ago which offset the price difference for the hybrid.

Bluerauder
01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Vehicle is roomy and comfortable, drives well on the road, and the CVT is okay after you get used to it.
No CVT in the '09 Escape. It has a 6-Speed Automatic.

The wife's '06 Freestyle has the CVT and I still wait for it to "shift" on acceleration. After a couple miles, I forget all about it. Ford dropped the CVT in favor of the 6-Speed automatic on the Freestyle, too when they rebadged it as a Taurus X in 2008 and changed the engine from a 3.0L to a 3.5L.

I tried to persuade my daughter to go for an '09 Taurus X since her mother and I are very happy with the Freestyle (predecessor to the Taurus X). But, she wanted something more SUV-ish than CUV/Stationwagon-ish. Originally she was looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a {dare I say it} a Toyota Highlander. :rolleyes:

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
The wife's '06 Freestyle has the CVT and I still wait for it to "shift" on acceleration. After a couple miles, I forget all about it.

Me too. I watch the tach, and wait for the "bump," but nothing happens, just smooth acceleration.

O's Fan Rich
01-05-2009, 11:31 AM
The 08 MKX I drive for work is an AWD that works very well.
I have been very pleased with it, approaching 17k mile.
20mpg avg, too.