PDA

View Full Version : Definatly off-topic. Health related question.

Vortech347
01-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Ganglia Cyst.

Has anyone in here ever had one? I have one thats where my ring finger meets with my hand. Freaking sucks I can't wear my wedding ring anymore because it hurts like hell, now the damn finger/hand hurts. I'm going in to the doc tomorrow but I typed in some symptoms and thats the term that matched...

Anyone have one or have one removed? I'm scared ********. I don't even handle getting my finger pricked very well. :depress:

Krytin
01-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Self diagnosis can often scare you - wait until a doctor or two has seen it before getting too upset.
Good luck - prayers for a simple/speedy recovery!

Haggis
01-12-2009, 05:07 AM
The simplest procedure is to have the finger removed, that way you do not have to worry about it coming back.

SC Cheesehead
01-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Self diagnosis can often scare you - wait until a doctor or two has seen it before getting too upset.
Good luck - prayers for a simple/speedy recovery!

+1 on what he said, in the mean time, here's a link that will give you a little info on the condition.

http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/users/jwhiting/ganglia.html

magindat
01-12-2009, 07:16 AM
The simplest procedure is to have the finger removed, that way you do not have to worry about it coming back.

Remove the whole hand just to be sure.

DTRMiguel
01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Ganglia Cyst.

I'm scared ********. I don't even handle getting my finger pricked very well. :depress:

****y :lol:

SC Cheesehead
01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Vortech347 http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=703139#post70 3139)
Ganglia Cyst.

I'm scared ********. I don't even handle getting my finger pricked very well. :depress:
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bluto (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000004/): [thrusting six-pack into Flounder's hands] My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Mike Poore
01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
You guys! :corner:

Here are two simple explanations/diagnosis from your country doctor. If it's a Ganglion cyst, give it a good hard whack with a book which usually causes it to burst and go away. [you'll know how hard to smack it (use a Bible) {it's the old family way}] Just put your finger flat on a hard surface and give it a good whack. Or, it could be a giant cell tumor (not cancerous) but must be removed surgically.

When I get 'em the book method has usually worked, but in a couple of cases they turned out to be Giant cell tumors and the neuro-surgeon took 'em out. Always try smacking 'em, first.

Oh, BTW, the giant cell tumors continue to grow, and get hard and lumpy, while the cyst even if it gets larger will stay sort of squishy and bubble like, which it actually is.

SC Cheesehead
01-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Just put your finger flat on a hard surface and give it a good whack. Or, it could be a giant cell tumor (not cancerous) but must be removed surgically.

:eek:

Soooooo, how's that work if it it turns out to be a giant cell tumor???

I'm thinking PAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN !!

Dragcity
01-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I have one, same place, one finger over. Been there for 8 years. My Sister had one on her wrist removed, no big deal. 20 minute job at the doc.

My Doc said if it gets too painfull, uncomfortable, come in and we'll romove it, otherwise, leave it be....

Don't worry yourself, no big deal...

Vortech347
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Smash it with a book? OMG...I'd be a 6'0 280lb man crying like a 5 year old. I've got an appointment with the doc today.

Thanks guys.

Mike Poore
01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
There's no pain, and I bet the Doc will smile when you relate the olde timey remedy. And no it doesn't hurt, that's why you use a Bible, also, the use of the Holy Scripture as a method of cure, precludes and protects your family, read, Grandmother Gardner, from hearing those special new words you learned in boot camp. Of course, your doc may get out his PDR and whack it with that, as an alternative. :rolleyes:

BTW, if it's a giant cell tumor, it just won't break, that's all. I mean, nothing bad happens, and there's no pain associated with giving either one a good whack with a Bible.

SC Cheesehead
01-12-2009, 11:22 AM
.....BTW, if it's a giant cell tumor, it just won't break, that's all. I mean, nothing bad happens, and there's no pain associated with giving either one a good whack with a Bible.

Ummmmmm, can I take your word for it??:o

Vortech347
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
What if I use a phone book. Will my finger become smart and know numbers?

MM2004
01-13-2009, 03:42 AM
My sister had one removed from her wrist and my uncle had one removed from his neck.

Simple out-patient procedure and a few stiches, you'll be good as new.

Don't listen to that old guy (Mike Poore).

The book trick, although true, isn't recommended today.

If you choose to go that route, use an unabridged dictionary.

After impact, you'll know every word in the English language.

And then some...

:D

Mike.

Mike Poore
01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Ummmmmm, can I take your word for it??:o

Hey! I'm a doctor! (as seen on the Dr Pepper Tee Vee Ads.)

BTW, I'm the only Mike worth listening to ....stay away from any advise offered by the south of the Mason Dixon line, ones. :D

Haggis
01-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Hey! I'm a doctor! (as seen on the Dr Pepper Tee Vee Ads.)

BTW, I'm the only Mike worth listening to ....stay away from any advise offered by the south of the Mason Dixon line, ones. :D

Damn Yankee!!

SC Cheesehead
01-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Damn Yankee!!

Hey, watch it, I resemble that remark!

teamrope
01-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Damn Yankee!!

Damn Yankee's Rocked in the early 90s. :)

Bluerauder
01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
The thing that surprised me most about this thread was the Mike has a Bible. ;) .... for medicinal purposes only. :D

SC Cheesehead
01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
The thing that surprised me most about this thread was the Mike has a Bible. ;) .... for medicinal purposes only. :D

The Word is a powerful force, in more ways than one, it seems.;)

Ms. Denmark
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Had one in my wrist in college. Doctor withdrew the jelly like substance inside the cyst with a syringe. Then injected cortisone. It's never come back. If it's a ganglion cyst, it's no big deal. :) Good luck!

Vortech347
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Just got back from an orthipedic surgeon.

It will need to be removed. He said where it is they'll knock me out. Most likely my hand will be out of comission for 3 weeks. A time crutial to me for finishing up wrenching on my car and others getting ready for spring.

I am going to try and get a 2nd opinion though.

Ugh I am not excited about this at all. The only "surgry" I've ever had was wisdom teeth and an ER visit when I was little for hitting a tree on my bike.

Fourth Horseman
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM

It will need to be removed. He said where it is they'll knock me out. Most likely my hand will be out of comission for 3 weeks. A time crutial to me for finishing up wrenching on my car and others getting ready for spring.

Ugh I am not excited about this at all. The only "surgry" I've ever had was wisdom teeth and an ER visit when I was little for hitting a tree on my bike.

Dang, Matt. That sucks. Good luck, buddy. If you need anything during all this just give me a shout. Seriously, I'm glad to help in any way I can.

Krytin
01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Hope all goes well and that there is a speedy recovery!

Mike Poore
01-16-2009, 05:58 AM

Yes, by all means, get a second opinion. Even in the case of the Giant cell tumors, the guy did them right in his office, with a local. I was outta there in an hour and Barbara removed the stitches in 10 days, I think. Really, it was a very simple procedure.

Also, it sounds like you visited a very careful doctor. Go find one with a name like Woo, or Wang, those guys tend to go for far less drama than some of their non-Asian colleagues + plus being little guys, they have wonderfully delicate small hands/fingers.

Haggis
01-16-2009, 06:05 AM

Yes, by all means, get a second opinion. Even in the case of the Giant cell tumors, the guy did them right in his office, with a local. I was outta there in an hour and Barbara removed the stitches in 10 days, I think. Really, it was a very simple procedure.

Man...three weeks your joking right. Just cut off the damn finger and cauterize it yourself, you'll be back up in about an hour.

Bigdogjim
01-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Man...three weeks your joking right. Just cut off the damn finger and cauterize it yourself, you'll be back up in about an hour.

Sounds like a plan! 3 weeks? How big is this thing???

Vortech347
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Heh, I kinda want to be put out. I'm very squrmish around blood/guts. I do not want to see what their doing.

Dragcity
01-16-2009, 10:04 AM
So don't look.

Here, I took you for a tough fella. Nads enough to scrub stripes off your car, now I couldn't do that.

I was a butcher for 18 years. I can have you in and out in no time......