PDA

View Full Version : My closed thread

Joe Walsh
01-14-2009, 05:54 AM
To answer your questions Dom:

Compare Incomes?......I am unemployed! I think that you've got me beat there.

You can't make money doing something you really enjoy?....Welcome to the real world Dom....That's why it's called 'work'....not 'play'.

I personally am looking forward to working again.

And really!?......You can't forgo a 3/4 tank of gas used for cruising around, or a couple of meals at Mc'ds to afford $25.00 bucks towards this site?

Call you out?......Not my original intent. I actually was looking at a certain member who I consider a TROLL....Not you...and....
I saw your post count and his post count right next to each other. Then I noted that neither of you were contributing members.

Do I find some of your posts annoying?......Yes! But not nearly as much as a certain other member. I have chosen to completely ignore him.
I read your posts, I just don't get involved in them. You don't have too many 'thinking out loud' threads anymore.

Again, I just thought that members who use this site regularly should be willing to contribute financially to its continuing operation.
I would really hate to see this site disappear because the owners said:

" JEEZ!...It takes us way too much of our time and too much of our own money to run this site....Let's just close it down."

It sounds scary, but it is a definite possibility.
As our Marauders get older, there will be less of them on the road, less owners interested in them, less members participating here and less support of this site.
This site extends WAY beyond a common interest in the Marauder....many great and life-long friendships have been formed between fellow members.
I feel these friendships will be the strongest influence in keeping this site around.

Joe

vkirkend
01-14-2009, 06:11 AM
:hmmm:Joe, I feel the need to come to your defense on this one. I too was selfishly using the benefits of this site without contributing but finally saw the light. I don't know what I would have done without this site and it's people. If you have money for friends, starbucks, etc., you can pony up some money, not alot but something to this site. If you have shown up for any of the events through the years then you should get some flags added to your name. Just my two cents.:twocents:

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 07:09 AM
This site extends WAY beyond a common interest in the Marauder....many great and life-long friendships have been formed between fellow members.
I feel these friendships will be the strongest influence in keeping this site around. Joe

Joe,

You nailed it with this one.

I guess that's what sets me off with some of the posts from noobs that don't know the folks behind the screen names and some of the history.

It's one thing talking smack to a guy that you've hung at with at the track, a meet, etc., and another thing entirely if you're just out there, clueless.

duhtroll
01-14-2009, 07:30 AM
You want me to start giving? Fine. You find a way to get all the modern jack-offs to stop downloading music so maybe I can make some money. Until you can do that I'll have to go to school to be something else because there is no money in anything I want to do with my life anymore. I missed the boat for cool new American cars and I just missed the boat for making a living off of playing music thanks to computers. I am about to get a degree in music, but guess what? No money in that! I might as well start a type writer company or invent double sided VHS tapes. I'm going to have to start all over again and figure out what to do with my life that I would actually enjoy.

I have two degrees in music and I am doing just fine.

I've considered giving to this site as well, but I don't spend as much time here due to the off-topic posts and whining about "who owes who what" lately.

If the site is closed, someone else will step up. Of that I have little doubt, so let's all stop assuming this is the end-all, be-all.

Oh, and I download music, too. :P

High-C
01-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Joe, I've got your back... and I couldn't agree more. :beer:

SWOOSH
01-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Hey Joe,

I wasn't really a contributing member either, but you're right, as much as I use it and for all the information I have gained and friends, its worth contributing to. I never actually thought about the cost of maintaining a site. My next question is, how exactly do I contribute?

jonroe
01-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Joe,

I, too, recently came to the conclusion that I need to help support this site. I get a lot of useful information here and it makes owning the MM a lot easier and more fun.

Jon

MERCMAN
01-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey Joe,

I wasn't really a contributing member either, but you're right, as much as I use it and for all the information I have gained and friends, its worth contributing to. I never actually thought about the cost of maintaining a site. My next question is, how exactly do I contribute?

Go to the home page, on the left side you will find a button labeled "donate to MM. net" Press the button and follw the instructions. Thanks for asking :up:

MM03MOK
01-14-2009, 07:47 AM
There is a "Make A Donation" button in the left column on the Home Page. We do truly appreciate any "free-will offering" since we don't require dues or a membership fee. Our largest fees are our ongoing server and backup charges. We are thankful for those that support the website and we give back as often as we can in supporting regional and national meets. We buy breakfast and pay for admissions when we can.

Think of it as an interactive 24/7/365 magazine subscription that keeps on giving.... :D And we environmentally friendly too! :2thumbs:

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Think of it as an interactive 24/7/365 magazine subscription that keeps on giving.... :D And we environmentally friendly too! :2thumbs:

YUP!! I've recovered my contribution many times over through information received and advice given that's enabled me to tackle a repair or mod myself rather than taking the car to a shop.

And the friendships I've developed through this site.....PRICELESS!

O's Fan Rich
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead350
You want me to start giving? Fine. You find a way to get all the modern jack-offs to stop downloading music so maybe I can make some money. Until you can do that I'll have to go to school to be something else because there is no money in anything I want to do with my life anymore. I missed the boat for cool new American cars and I just missed the boat for making a living off of playing music thanks to computers. I am about to get a degree in music, but guess what? No money in that! I might as well start a type writer company or invent double sided VHS tapes. I'm going to have to start all over again and figure out what to do with my life that I would actually enjoy.

Wow, that's tough, Dom.

Maybe try this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQyib5ZQZY

Oh, and perhaps I need to think more about what Joe said also...

Vortech347
01-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Dom cries alot....

Why do threads keep being locked? Grow a spine!

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Dom cries alot....

Why do threads keep being locked? Grow a spine!

Sounds like Dom's got some big-time stress going right now, what with his car troubles, work and what-not. May be just blowing off some steam.

:argh: ---------> :mad2: ---------> :lovies:

bob6364
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Other then price is there any difrence between 25,50,100 contributions just curious,I know of at least 2 sites i am on where the level of contribution determines the access you have to certain forums.

Vortech347
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Installing brakes is car troubles?

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Installing brakes is car troubles?

Nah, he's got a couple other things as well. Prolly no big deal on their own, but put a couple of 'em together and it's a PITA.

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Other then price is there any difrence between 25,50,100 contributions just curious,I know of at least 2 sites i am on where the level of contribution determines the access you have to certain forums.

Bob, not certain about that; may want to PM Bunny with the question.

Motorhead350
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Joe I know I was an intented target of yours, but not the big one so to say.

Joe I am doing whatever I can for cash, but I bet you have more in your bank... let's not get into who does what and who has what.

duhtroll I am sure I can do something I with my degree, but I don't want to anymore. I am very picky and will not play or teach just anything. Actually there is a lot of music I don't like... like anything that was commercially sucessful after 1963. I don't download music, but I usually buy it second hand. If new music interested me I would buy it, but until The Cramps come out with a new album or Reverend Horton Heat does, it's all used vinyl for me.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
There are a lot of bands that still make a ton of money. It's gotta be commerically viable. I have been in bands that played well and sounded good but I wouldn't expect to make it a career. Gotta be something peculiarly special with broad spectrum appeal to be able to make a living selling albums. If you think everything out there now is crap you are in the wrong field to make money. Plain and simple.

MM03MOK
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Bob, not certain about that; may want to PM Bunny with the question.
Good question. We just have one "User Group" for all Contributing Members so there is no additional benefit to donating more. It is a donation and not a fee to access tiered services.

Contributing Members have twice the Gallery space; can PM more than one Member at a time; can store more PMs; have access to a Contributing Members Only forum. Your "subscription" is good for one year. You'll get an email reminder before the year runs out, reminding you to donate again, if you so choose.

Through the generous support of our Contributing Members, we were able to offer an extensive free raffle late last year for all Contributing Members, supported by our Vendors, Members and MM.Net. This was another way to give back.

captain
01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Wheres all that money that your grandmother gave you? As I recall...
"I won't say how much, just that is 6 figures" Did you lend it to your dad against Grandmas wishes? What became of that job interview she set you up with? Too good for that whole workin for a livin thing?
I do not pay to play here anymore.
I prefer the company of adults and mature topics. Call me old.

Joe Walsh
01-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Good question. We just have one "User Group" for all Contributing Members so there is no additional benefit to donating more. It is a donation and not a fee to access tiered services.

Contributing Members have twice the Gallery space; can PM more than one Member at a time; can store more PMs; have access to a Contributing Members Only forum. Your "subscription" is good for one year. You'll get an email reminder before the year runs out, reminding you to donate again, if you so choose.

Thanks, I was just going to ask; 'How do we know when our subscription runs out?'

Through the generous support of our Contributing Members, we were able to offer an extensive free raffle late last year for all Contributing Members, supported by our Vendors, Members and MM.Net. This was another way to give back.

That was a great raffle!
A nice 'bonus' to all contributing members.
I entered and won a sweet Pioneer GPS system!
Thanks again John!

bob6364
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Ok I'm in just sent in my $25 ...who's next :beer:

duhtroll
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I am sure I can do something I with my degree, but I don't want to anymore. I am very picky and will not play or teach just anything. Actually there is a lot of music I don't like... like anything that was commercially sucessful after 1963.

No offense intended here, but a real music education involves learning about ALL music styles and even if they are not your preference, you can learn to appreciate them. All music styles including those from other countries.

Except gangsta rap, that is. :)

Motorhead350
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I have been in bands that played well and sounded good If you think everything out there now is crap you are in the wrong field to make money. Plain and simple.

Kinda, but the bottom line is profit. If I get enough people in the door that will attract record companies. They don't care about what you sound like, they just wanna sell other bands/artist work and make a profit. There was a time when our current music didn't sound this way. The problem is no one is buying anything, everyone is stealing over the internet.

Captian that is none if your business and it was a mistake to bring it up over here in the first place. If things are tight for me, I think you can figure out the answer to your question.

duhtroll I like a lot of different types of music, but there is a lot I don't like. I'll listen to anything, ANYTHING once, but I end up disliking more then liking anything. Besides what is wrong with Gangsta Rap? N.W.A. is actually one of my favorites and they really have some great lyrics. It isn't all about killing cops. People in other countries tend to like American music more than Americans... at least the good stuff. I'm don't care what anyone says I will tell you if something sucks, but a lotta stuff I like a lot of people would say that sucks too.

I bet hardly anyone knows Rap came out of Country music... when Country music was good. If you want a taste look up Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean, imagine that song with the words a little faster and some "funky" music in the back... boom! There is your Rap music.

But what do I know? My taste is limited.

Bluerauder
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
To answer your questions Dom:

Compare Incomes?......I am unemployed! I think that you've got me beat there.

You can't make money doing something you really enjoy?....Welcome to the real world Dom....That's why it's called 'work'....not 'play'.

I personally am looking forward to working again.

Joe
Sorry to hear this unemployment thing, Joe. I had no idea. :( Hope things pick up for you soon.

I voluntarily choose to support the site because I "can" and I "want to". As others mentioned ... anything contributed to MM.Net comes back many fold in terms of friends, associations, information, access, comraderie, event support, raffles and more. Belonging to this site has been good for me in more ways than one. My education on MM and automotive issues has improved 100% just reading the posts of real gearheads who know these cars inside and out. That kind of expert advice is PRICELESS.

For the recent supporting members raffle, I donated a set of FRS/GMRS radios because I wanted to and I can. I wanted to be on the giving side instead of the taking side. This time I got to do both.

If you can support the site .... it's a good deal. If you can't ... that's OK too. Not a big deal.

CBT
01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Wheres all that money that your grandmother gave you? As I recall...
"I won't say how much, just that is 6 figures" Did you lend it to your dad against Grandmas wishes? What became of that job interview she set you up with? Too good for that whole workin for a livin thing?
I do not pay to play here anymore.
I prefer the company of adults and mature topics. Call me old.

What the heck, I'll fall for it. Old.

Rocknthehawk
01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Joe, is there a reason you couldn't handle this with pm's?

I think with your age/experience/seniority on the site, you would have just pm'd the members you've "called out" with the simple question of why they do not donate. I'm sure those of us that don't (myself being one) have their reasons.

And to make ANOTHER thread to answer Dom's response? Come on, you know that would have been much easier to PM him.

Not calling you out, but i don't see why you need to bring attention to this.

vkirkend
01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I have two degrees in music and I am doing just fine.

I've considered giving to this site as well, but I don't spend as much time here due to the off-topic posts and whining about "who owes who what" lately.

If the site is closed, someone else will step up. Of that I have little doubt, so let's all stop assuming this is the end-all, be-all.

Oh, and I download music, too. :P

Said the person with over 3000 posts.....

Seneca
01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

I think with your age/experience/seniority on the site, you would have just pm'd the members you've "called out" with the simple question of why they do not donate. I'm sure those of us that don't (myself being one) have their reasons.

And to make ANOTHER thread to answer Dom's response? Come on, you know that would have been much easier to PM him.

Joe didnt have to but i'm glad he did, Makes people think a little bit. everything should be out in the open... just my two cents!.. Seneca

Rocknthehawk
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Joe didnt have to but i'm glad he did, Makes people think a little bit. everything should be out in the open... just my two cents!.. Seneca

Then why not make a thread asking simply why people who use the site don't donate? Instead of a gangbang on those that don't, he could have approached it differently.

There's more than 2 members with a large number of posts that do not donate. It's sad that these two were singled out.

2ndMDRebel
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM

Couldn't you have PM'd Joe with this tidbit of internet wisdom? ;)

Joe Walsh
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I brought this topic up in another thread (Not the one that was closed) and it was conveniently ignored.

Not anymore!

Yes, I could have sent Dom a 'PM' to discuss it...I chose not to.

I purposely 'called out' Diabolical/Aren Jay and No, I will not 'PM' him for any reason.
I will continue to IGNORE him.

Raudermaster
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I can see where Joe is coming from. It's like compare his count to a non-contributor, and their posts are almost double's of Joe's. So, why should Joe contribute to support space that they are using? Why can't they just simply click a few buttons to donate to the site? I mean, I don't even own an MM anymore, but will continue to support due to the fact of friends I have on here, and the knowledge there still is.

Rocknthehawk
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I brought this topic up in another thread (Not the one that was closed) and it was conveniently ignored.

Not anymore!

Yes, I could have sent Dom a 'PM' to discuss it...I chose not to.

I purposely 'called out' Diabolical/Aren Jay and No, I will not 'PM' him for any reason.
I will continue to IGNORE him.

Apparently not, because you managed to create a thread calling him out.

If you were ignoring him, you would have left it alone that he does not donate.

MdRebel, I addressed my thoughts to Joe. Thanks for your concern though.

(Jarod, we posted the same time). My thoughts is that it looks bad for longtime members to be creating threads like this. The original thread was closed for a reason. I think a "why not donate" thread would have been USEFUL, as it brings to light why people should contribute $$ wise.

Joe Walsh
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Apparently not, because you managed to create a thread calling him out.

If you were ignoring him, you would have left it alone that he does not donate.

MdRebel, I addressed my thoughts to Joe. Thanks for your concern though.

(Jarod, we posted the same time). My thoughts is that it looks bad for longtime members to be creating threads like this. The original thread was closed for a reason. I think a "why not donate" thread would have been USEFUL, as it brings to light why people should contribute $$ wise.

Sorry, I'm not a 'politically correct' kind of guy.

I just feel that if you've managed to post 5,000 times on this site, you should be able to manage donating $25.00 bucks to it!

I couldn't ignore that fact.

Raudermaster
01-14-2009, 04:04 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8045/roflzww1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/roflzww1.jpg/1/w921.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img165/roflzww1.jpg/1/)
I mean, it's self explanatory.

TooManyFords
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Except gangsta rap, that is. :)

The "C" in RAP is silent...

Breadfan
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Kinda, but the bottom line is profit. If I get enough people in the door that will attract record companies. They don't care about what you sound like, they just wanna sell other bands/artist work and make a profit. There was a time when our current music didn't sound this way. The problem is no one is buying anything, everyone is stealing over the internet.

I'm not quite sure I agree with this, in whole atleast. The Internet is an odd place, you need to be very broad and open minded regarding it. You also need to be broad and open minded about the music industry. The Internet stands to revolutionize many industries, and in some, open bad and good points.

You are right, there was alot more "stealing" of music over the net. However, do not so easily dismiss the benefits the Internet has brought to music. The ease of information, social networking sites, and other items, has broadened the musical palletes of many and made smaller bands more accessible. The internet can make your "local" band a worldwide band.

Try to think things differently. Take these two statements, not your quotes per say, but things someone might think who is trying to break into music:

"How can I get a record company to sign my band if I can't draw crowds locally?"

"No one buys records anymore, they steal music off the internet of buy it off Itunes or other digital download sites!"

While these can both be seen as true statements, it definitely paints a bleak picture. But stepping outside the box, you see this can open up a new path.

Combine the two statements, and it makes you wonder - who cares if you get signed if no one is buying records b/c they are stealing.

But, think of it in the opposite implication of each statement:

"I don't need record companies to sign me, because my music is easily accessible to the masses."

In time, the industry will adapt, and many smaller, more flexible labels, are already adapting to the digital reality. As a result, they see potential for reduced costs, and ability to profit on digital sales.

Think of it this way for now, the Internet is giving your band more of a chance to control it's own destiny. Probably more so than posting flyers around town like in the old days. Your potential audience is bigger, much bigger, and your band's marketing efforts can take you farther if targeted right.

I'm just not sure I would blame the 'net, which I think if anything, is an opportunity maker.

Breadfan
01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry, I'm not a 'politically correct' kind of guy.

I just feel that if you've managed to post 5,000 times on this site, you should be able to manage donating $25.00 bucks to it!

I couldn't ignore that fact.

Amen Joe.

I was on a site a number of years back, a tech forum, and we had to remove post counts due to spam due to the post count competition that went on...

Some sites don't even use stars or flags designated by post count, but stars and flags that correspond to points you gain when other members click that they found your post informative.

Ms. Denmark
01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Well Joe, sometimes raising the collective consciousness is a messy business. Thanks for getting your hands a little dirty on this one. It was nice to see that some members decided to support the site financially as a result. I want to thank them and you for that. :)

TAKEDOWN
01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I will be donating again when it's due... and in this matter I only worry about myself!

Aren Jay
01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Is this site free?

Blackened300a
01-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Is this site free?

No, you must pay each contributing member $25 each or your account is terminated.
You are on borrowed time at the moment.

Didnt you get the memo?

Local Boy
01-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Nothing is truely "Free"...

You pay...one way (financially) or another (socially)...

ALOHA

Joe Walsh
01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Is this site free?

Shouldn't my thread be on your "Ignore" list?

An apology to everyone else for responding to this Troll...I couldn't help myself!

Aren Jay
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
This message is hidden because Joe is hiding.

Socially those who dislike me because I don't pay money for sharing my wisdom on a free site are of little concern. Nor do I attend meets that are never around here. Nor do I go to or take part in MM.Net events or contests which are also never around here.

Perhaps this hidden person wants us to pay money to someone, not him. An odd concept much like charity, except he wants to insist upon it. Methinks he doesn't understand the donation concept.

One wonders if those who be MM.net insist upon donations that many would not be here. Joe who, no not that Joe Who! Does he represent or seem to represent the MM.net?

I Think Not.

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Shouldn't my thread be on your "Ignore" list?

An apology to everyone else for responding to this Troll...I couldn't help myself!

Hmmm, I wonder if we all threw in a couple bucks if we could get the administrators to give him a vacation.:rolleyes:

BruteForce
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Aren Jay/Diabolical is just your run of the narcissist. All you do by calling him out on anything is stiffen his itsy little internet pee pee.

Now there's a mental image for ya. I'll let that sink in for a minute....

Don't like how he conducts himself? Pizz you off that he consumes page space with no thought of actually contributing to the upkeep? The next time you get the urge to reply or refer to him in any way, remember that mental image above. This is one problem that WILL go away if it is ignored. He won't waste his time if there is no payback. That's the way narcissism works.

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Aren Jay/Diabolical is just your run of the narcissist. All you do by calling him out on anything is stiffen his itsy little internet pee pee.

Now there's a mental image for ya. I'll let that sink in for a minute....

Don't like how he conducts himself? Pizz you off that he consumes page space with no thought of actually contributing to the upkeep? The next time you get the urge to reply or refer to him in any way, remember that mental image above. This is one problem that WILL go away if it is ignored. He won't waste his time if there is no payback. That's the way narcissism works.

Good point.

Aren Jay
01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Some of these posts are getting cheesy.

There must be a rule that governs Joe and his evil kin.

Ahh: Rule 52: Never ask when you can take.

on the other hand "Local Boy" is correct,

Rule 59: Free advice is seldom cheap.

then again one must remember

Rule 261: A wealth man can afford anything except a Conscience.

O's Fan Rich
01-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Some of these posts are getting cheesy.

There must be a rule that governs Joe and his evil kin.

Ahh: Rule 52: Never ask when you can take.

on the other hand "Local Boy" is correct,

Rule 59: Free advice is seldom cheap.

then again one must remember

Rule 261: A wealth man can afford anything except a Conscience.

You've obviously never met Joe.
Your loss.

duhtroll
01-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, and how many years Mr. Mathlete? :P

Said the person with over 3000 posts.....

Joe Walsh
01-15-2009, 07:04 AM
"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation DNFTT redirect here. For the Wikipedia essay, see "What is a troll?". For other uses see Troll (disambiguation).
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

MERCMAN
01-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Well, I believe that everyone's venting is done. In the future please just use the ignore feature if a member's post bothers you. I understand the frustration that some of you feel and appreciate your positions HOWEVER,,,,some of the posts were mean and bordering on violation of site rules ie: verbally abusing another member.
This has never been a "pay for play" operation and if one chooses not to contribute for ANY reason, it is their choice. We certainly appreciate and thank those who have and continue to support this site financially and we continue to give back as much as we can.
This being said, please maintain some sense of decorum on this site. No bashing of other members and do not try to "outsmart" the swear filter. The best way to outsmart it is,, don't swear!!