PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews: Gran Torino; The Wrestler

Vortex
01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Gran Torino - Clint is a legend but I bet this is the last movie he stars in; some good moments but a pretty average movie, rent it from Blockbuster;

The Wrestler - Best movie Ive seen in about a year or so, Mickey Rourke deserves a bunch of awards and Marisa Tomei is good too and looks damn good as a stripper.

Motorhead350
01-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Gran Torino was really good to me too and I love the movie takes shots at my generation, I love that! A lot of younger kids really are rude like in the begining, that stuff isn't made up! A movie like that makes me think "Wow it's a good thing I care for my parents, I hope this is a wake up call to others who push them off".

I feel the huge to watch The French Connection tomorrow night. I know Clint isn't in it, but it's one of my favorites.

Got_1
01-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Grand Torino - clint eastwood is a legend indeed but this most certainly will be his last.
pros: clint, racial remarks = hilarious, gran torino
cons: not enough gran torino, acting was brutal, not enough gran torino

Aren Jay
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
.............................. .....

whd507
01-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah not enough torino (I had a 1972 with a 351c 4v) nice story, ok acting. it was funny, I'd see it again 1 1/2 thumbs up

Vortex
01-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Re: Gran Torino, this was mine back in the day. Best lookin car I ever owned.

Motorhead350
01-15-2009, 09:32 PM
That's a Mean Machine. Whatever happened to it?

SID210SA
01-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Gran Torino - Clint is a legend but I bet this is the last movie he stars in; some good moments but a pretty average movie, rent it from Blockbuster;

The Wrestler - Best movie Ive seen in about a year or so, Mickey Rourke deserves a bunch of awards and Marisa Tomei is good too and looks damn good as a stripper.

If any of yall remember Mean Gene Okerland from the WWF days.....he was on our local Fox News this morning and said that The Wrestler was a great movie.....his is on the screen actors guild....

By the way....he is being inducted into the WWE hall of fame!!

whd507
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
his hamburgers aint half bad either...

Joe Walsh
01-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Marianne & I saw Gran Torino on Friday night.
We both really liked the movie.
Clint is funny as heck playing an old, retired, racist Detroit automotive assembly line worker.
(In the movie he worked for FORD and built the Gran Torino that he still owns.)

Haggis
01-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Marianne & I saw Gran Torino on Friday night.
We both really liked the movie.
Clint is funny as heck playing an old, retired, racist Detroit automotive assembly line worker.
(In the movie he worked for FORD and built the Gran Torino that he still owns.)

+1

Chris and I saw Gran Torino yesterday and it was the best movie we had seen in a while.

Krytin
01-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Yep, MAry and I saw Gran Torino last Saturday night - very good. One of his best!
Mary leaned over to me during the movie and said "I hope you're paying attention, this is a glimpse of your future!"

She wasa right!

Blackened300a
01-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Mary leaned over to me during the movie and said "I hope you're paying attention, this is a glimpse of your future!"

She wasa right!

Seeing how you chase bikers away from bbq's I have to agree. :D

Krytin
01-26-2009, 06:03 AM
I have to say that being compared to Walt Kowalski is good thing as far as I am concerned. There are worse ways for a person to be.

Master
01-26-2009, 07:04 AM
I like the old Gran Torinos as much for the grille and engine options. The rear quarter is so big, though, it looks almost out of proportion to the rear tire and wheel well. My brother had a four door 1976 or so. Total rust bucker and to this day he still complains about it and uses it as an example of how bad Fords were/are.

justbob
02-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I saw Gran Torino last night and WOW!!!! what a great movie!! That is/was my two grandpa's put together. It brought back alot of memories. Comparing the two different generetions that were portrayed is a real eye opener.

Good old Clint still has it, and he would stop me in my tracks still today.

PhastPhil
02-02-2009, 01:31 AM
My brother and I saw Gran Torino when it first came out. We thought it was a great movie. We were talking about it again tonight. The biggest disappointment to me was, that we never really got hear the Torino's engine, and never got to see it smoke the tires, or move quickly. And it was slightly annoying how they always referred to the car as a Gran Torino, instead of just calling it a Torino. Kind of like calling someone by their full name. I even liked the theme song at the end.

BTW I had a 1974 Gran Torino Brougham in high school. A two door hardtop, with a 351W 2bbl, and a C-4. It was a great car, and started my love for Fords. The Brougham was the top of the line model. It had reflectors across the back in between the taillights. It had an opera window in the rear sail panel on each side. The 1974 Gran Torino Brougham is a rare model today. It was replaced by the Gran Torino Elite. The Elite had the opera windows, but done differently, and it had the reflectors across the back too.

Blackened300a
02-02-2009, 03:37 AM
I saw Gran Torino Wednesday and the Wrestler last night. Im a big Clint Eastwood fan so I'm of course going to love GT. It'sclose to what happened to me and my family in Flushing Queen's when the giant asian population moved in and we were the only white family in the neighborhood. Except we packed up and moved. I found it hysterical and it will be in my DVD collection when it come's out.

The Wrestler was a great movie. Mickey Rourke should no doubt walk away with the award for his acting.

SHERIFF
02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Re: Gran Torino, this was mine back in the day. Best lookin car I ever owned.

1973 Gran Torino Sport fastback, first "new" car I ever owned. Bronze in color with gold laser stripes on the side. I enjoyed it. Nice car.

MERCMAN
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The wife and I watched Gran Torino and thought it was GREAT. Oscar material for Clint. If he doesn't get an oscar for it, the awards have to be fixed.

On a side note, besure to watch Doubt with Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. WONDERFUL!!