PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City

cvpiftw
01-16-2009, 11:33 PM
IS goin out.

Just a few things as a firedog inhome guy there.

1. Your warranty is not useless. There is a number to call for service, ill get the number. Send me a PM with your phone number that you bought it with, i can get you the warranty plan number and all the other BS as long as im in the system, but it needs to be quick.

2. I am outta a job first, they canned all the PC techs. I worked my damned ass off, we were one of the rare tech benches that got **** done (we had to break the rules a bit no doubt). Me and my partner are may be working at staples, as the whole techbench at a local staples just walked.

3. We got screw outta PTO pretty bad.

4. Assurant Solutions is the insurer of your TV/PC/whatever. Some stores have "Agent Desktop" and can go through there, but most dont, we were one of the few that did.

5. Got a PC out to service? If so, its getting shipped to your house. Have a PC in the store, better pick it up soon, otherwise within 30 days the liquidators will sell it.

As far as that goes, we have over 50 workorders open and our techbench is going tomorrow. Just a example of what we dealt with here. This is just a small shot of what we have. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg122/cvpiftw/asteaAlliance-1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg122/cvpiftw/IMAGE_131.jpg

Motorhead350
01-16-2009, 11:40 PM
haha clown car!

Sorry your outta work Ryan.

cvpiftw
01-16-2009, 11:40 PM
**** happens. I guess i didnt buy a marauder for a reason.

Starman
01-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Sorry for you Ryan. My son works at a Circuit City in the warehouse and is looking for a new job too. Sucks because in the past year we bought a new DLP TV, laptop and other things, but did save a bunch of money because of the son's discounts. The writing has been on the walls for awhile though. It took over three weeks to get approval to get a new power cord for the daughters laptop, and now the laptop needs work.

Oh well, this economy is sucking up a lot of stuff and Circuit City is just the latest in a line of businesses going down.

Best of luck Ryan!

Bluerauder
01-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear this news. There was a story in our local paper this morning that the Circuit City near Potomac Mills was going out of business.
They were spared the initial round of cuts in November and December. The announcement on Friday indicated that the remaining 567 stores nationwide will be closing. :(

I hate to say it; but I guess that I am partially at fault for this. Can't remember the last time that I was even inside our local Circuit City (years at least). The local competition from Best Buy has been intense and to be honest, Best Buy is more convenient from a location standpoint and they did a much better job of advertising saturation in our area. Don't know what they did elsewhere.

FordNut
01-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Really sorry to hear this. Both for the employees and myself. I despise Best Buy and HHGregg because of their poor customer support policies, so I always steer people to Circuit City. I guess it's Radio Shack now? We don't have a Fry's around my home, but for folks in the bigger metro areas that's a good option too.

merc
01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Circuit City was the state of the art at electronic sales in the 80's. The CCX store format (small store front) was better then the super store format that it eventually grew into. In the day a salesman could make 25-75 thousand dollars per year in commissions. The bad news is 3% of sales would have to be in the form of service contracts. This policy created some of the pressures and displeasures customers felt when shopping a the City.

At Circuit City's prime it was lead by a good friend and visionary Rich Sharp. Mr. Sharp served in various positions with Circuit City Stores, Inc., a consumer electronics and personal computer retailer, most recently as President from 1984 to 1997, Chief Executive Officer from 1986 to 2000 and Chairman of the Board from 1994 to 2002. Mr. Sharp served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CarMax, Inc., the nation's largest specialty retailer of used cars and light trucks, from 1994 to 2000 and Chairman from October 2002 to June 2007. He is also a director of Flextronics.

After Rich Sharps departure the company changed its direction about sales commissioned staff. In a bold move they fired nearly all their sales force and replace them with less expense hourly employees (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20070329-9999-1n29circuit.html). Customer service, and sales took a major hit. Best Buy was another major contributer to the fall of the City. BB opened and gave the City a run for there money and grabbed a large market share. They offered higher salaries to there management staff and attracted some of the best and brightest from the City. In the first couple of years, Best Buy offered credit to just about anyone that had a score over 550. This strategy almost caused the failure of BB in the second year of sales.

Best buy was not the City's only competition. Walmart, Amazon.com,Incredible Universe, Costco, Sam's Club, Tweeter,Macy's and other were looking for a piece of the pie. The City grew to quickly with large and expensive property leases. No one needed the titanic of electronic retailers anymore and it was difficult to re-invent the wheel.

Here are a few more facts that some of the Commonwealth of Virginia boys might appreciate. The City was headquartered in Richmond VA and distribution center on the east cost was in Ashland VA.

RICHARD L. SHARP, Richmond
Who could have guessed that footwear would be the next big thing for this proven retail executive? Sharp, former chairman for Circuit City Stores Inc. and current chairman of CarMax Inc. — the country's largest used-car retailer — has embarked on a new challenge. He's chairman of Crocs Inc., a manufacturer and marketer of a soon-to-be-patented line of footwear that softens with body heat, molding to the wearer's foot. The slip-resistant shoes are growing in popularity in sports and mainstream fashion. In fact, the Connecticut-based company recently announced a three-year deal as the title sponsor and official footwear for the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour. A public company listed on the NASDAQ (CROX), Crocs had sales of $108.6 million for fiscal 2005, an increase of 704 percent in one year, and 260 employees. It operates manufacturing facilities in China, Mexico, Italy and Canada and distributes through retailers, such as Dillard's, Nordstrom and The Sports Authority. Sharp directly owns 592,695 shares of the company's stock valued at about $14.7 million. He also owns stock in CarMax. Sharp chairs the U.Va. Health Foundation.

Bluerauder
01-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Circuit City was the state of the art at electronic sales in the 80's. The CCX store format (small store front) was better then the super store format that it eventually grew into. In the day a salesman could make 25-75 thousand dollars per year in commissions. The bad news is 3% of sales would have to be in the form of service contracts. This policy created some of the pressures and displeasures customers felt when shopping a the City.

At Circuit City's prime it was lead by a good friend and visionary Rich Sharp.
Mr. Sharp served in various positions with Circuit City Stores, Inc., a consumer electronics and personal computer retailer, most recently as President from 1984 to 1997, Chief Executive Officer from 1986 to 2000 and Chairman of the Board from 1994 to 2002. Mr. Sharp served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CarMax, Inc., the nation's largest specialty retailer of used cars and light trucks, from 1994 to 2000 and Chairman from October 2002 to June 2007. He is also a director of Flextronics.

After Rich Sharps departure the company changed its direction about sales commissioned staff. In a bold move they fired nearly all their sales force and replace them with less expense hourly employees. Customer service, and sales took a major hit. Best Buy was another major contributer to the fall of the City. BB opened and gave the City a run for there money and grabbed a large market share. They offered higher salaries to there management staff and attracted some of the best and brightest from the City. In the first couple of years, Best Buy offered credit to just about anyone that had a score over 550. This strategy almost caused the failure of BB in the second year of sales.

Best buy was not the City's only competition. Walmart, Amazon.com,Incredible Universe, Costco, Sam's Club, Tweeter,Macy's and other were looking for a piece of the pie. The City grew to quickly with large and expensive property leases. No one needed the titanic of electronic retailers anymore and it was difficult to re-invent the wheel.

Here are a few more facts that some of the Common Wealth of Virginia boy might appreciate. The City was headquartered in Richmond VA and distribution center on the east cost was in Ashland VA.

RICHARD L. SHARP, Richmond

Who could have guessed that footwear would be the next big thing for this proven retail executive? Sharp, former chairman for Circuit City Stores Inc. and current chairman of CarMax Inc. — the country's largest used-car retailer — has embarked on a new challenge. He's chairman of Crocs Inc., a manufacturer and marketer of a soon-to-be-patented line of footwear that softens with body heat, molding to the wearer's foot. The slip-resistant shoes are growing in popularity in sports and mainstream fashion. In fact, the Connecticut-based company recently announced a three-year deal as the title sponsor and official footwear for the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour. A public company listed on the NASDAQ (CROX), Crocs had sales of $108.6 million for fiscal 2005, an increase of 704 percent in one year, and 260 employees. It operates manufacturing facilities in China, Mexico, Italy and Canada and distributes through retailers, such as Dillard's, Nordstrom and The Sports Authority. Sharp directly owns 592,695 shares of the company's stock valued at about $14.7 million. He also owns stock in CarMax. Sharp chairs the U.Va. Health Foundation.
Mark, thanks for the insight. As you probably remember, Incredible Universe's trial in PW County didn't last very long. Back in the early to mid-90's, they opened a huge store that lasted less than one year. General Dynamics took over the building for the USMC AAAV program. Lots of people visited Incredible Universe, tried out the merchandise, and then went and bought it at another store like Best Buy or Circuit City for a better price. I didn't think of BJ's, CostCo and Sam's as a competitor ... but you are right. Lots of good deals at those locations.

merc
01-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Mark, thanks for the insight. As you probably remember, Incredible Universe's trial in PW County didn't last very long. Back in the early to mid-90's, they opened a huge store that lasted less than one year. General Dynamics took over the building for the USMC AAAV program. Lots of people visited Incredible Universe, tried out the merchandise, and then went and bought it at another store like Best Buy or Circuit City for a better price. I didn't think of BJ's, CostCo and Sam's as a competitor ... but you are right. Lots of good deals at those locations.

Circuit City stood alone as a giant in the 80's. The first VHS VCR was produced by JVC. The HR-3300 introduced in the fall of 1977 featured a 2 hour recording time. The City found a niche market, the sale of VCR's drove TV sales, that's how it all began. Now the market is flooded with internet and store front electronic sells. Although Best Buy is enjoying a brief surge in sales it's days are numbered. Incredible Universe was owned by Radio Shack (Tandy Corp), and so was Computer City.

Vortex
01-17-2009, 09:47 AM
You can get a 48" SONY LCD 1080p tv at WalMart for $1400. Nobody can compete with that.

TAKEDOWN
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
You're young with many opportunities ahead of you!

justbob
01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear this Ryan, but i bet you will still ware your CC shirt to all the meets!

CBT
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Best of luck, what a :censor:ty deal.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-17-2009, 07:24 PM
You can get a 48" SONY LCD 1080p tv at WalMart for $1400. Nobody can compete with that.

Sounds like a crappy tv.

And sorry Ryan, if theres a spot at my place, i'll let you know to apply and give my name.

cvpiftw
01-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Hamero, that means the world to me, honestly. Give me a text. I am a great worker and am 100% serious on the clock. Id hate workin for the big blue box, but that store isnt that bad. Ill stop in and see ya one of these days. Ill be workin for the liquidator the next few weeks i found out today.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I got you. Let me know if they have any MTX subs for a good price.

shodude
01-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Incredible Universe

omg how i loved that store!! as a young kid that was something else. the one we had in columbus was UNgodly huge!!

its where garden ridge is now off 270 / cemetery road here in columbus for anyone who lives here and never went before it shut down.

it is sad about circuit city. i've used them to pricematch at Best buy maybe times. gona be missed

Glenn
01-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Wal-Mart has a 42" LCD for $797 - unreal.

Glenn

Aren Jay
01-19-2009, 12:33 AM
.............................. .....

Dr Caleb
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I know someone who can and does.

Anyway Circuit city recently bought out Radio Shack up here and then Radio Shack opened back up again.

It is really confusing.

Not really.

A company called 'Intertan' held the rights in Canada to the 'Radio Shack' franchise. When Circuit City bought 'Radio Shack' parent company, they changed the name of the corporate owned (not franchise) Radio Shacks in Canada to "The Source". The franchise "Radio Shacks" kept their name.

Intertan still has the rights to the 'Radio Shack' franchise, so they still exist.

Spectragod
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Sure they can, Wally World isn't selling XBR's and Z series sets, they are selling the bottom of the line models, most electronics stores don't sell the low tier stuff.

You could compare it to a Triology vs a electric blower, they are both blowers, so buy the cheaper one...... right? :flamer: