PDA

View Full Version : So I met the Grim Reaper today.........

justbob
01-18-2009, 03:44 PM
AND TAUGHT HIM HOW TO HANDLE A CAR!!!:D

Sure i can talk big now but that simply wasn't the case at 10:30 this morning. I did all i could not to drop a deuce in my pants:eek:, and i know that i will have a few more white hairs in my Goatee now!:(

It was sunny and warmer (13* F.) and i hit a stretch on I294 which is a four lane interstate, it was dry as could be and i had nobody in front of me for atleast one mile, and only but a couple cars a quarter mile back. I decided that she has laid dormant for most of the winter and she needed a good kick to clear the cobwebs! So at 75 mph i switched off O/D and nailed it to the floor, i felt very little wheel spin and off i went like a rocket! I was only gonna take it to a 100mph but while checking boost and speedo the tail end kicked out VIOLENTLY to the right! There i was off the throttle and actually driving on both left and right painted lines facing the wall at 95MPH!!!!!!!!!:eek: Then i very gently countered it and she swung about half the original distance to the left now, contered slowly and precisely once again and back to the right only about a foot this time and finally tracked straight.

This car almost always smokes them straight, it trully felt like a mustang or camaro, however if it was then i would be in the hospital right now or DEAD!

Now we all no that you can get quite squirrely at the top of first in these cars especially s/c, but i would have never anticipated this to happen in second gear at these speeds!:shake: I do have pretty decent tires, this was just cold pavement and saltly roads. I can honestly admit seeing several hundred memories of my kids flash before me and i was truly shaken. I did'nt realise exactly what this car is capable of doing at those kind of speeds and i hope that none of you ever share this experience. I would like to think that with around fifteen years of plowing experience that it has taught me lightning quick reflexes and always be gentle with the controls, timing is everything.

Be safe out there, i sure am now.:beer: I should have posted this in the storyboard but figured that i'd duck into the lounge and calm down with a couple tall ones.

Ms. Denmark
01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow! That was way too close for comfort.Glad you're OK. Sounds like your nerves of steel served you well. It could have been a heart breaker otherwise. Thanks for reminding us that things can change forever in a split second.

SC Cheesehead
01-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Shazbat!

Glad to hear it turned out okay, that must have been quite a ride.

Methinks you won't be trying this again for a while.

bobsawyer7
01-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Always scary when you lose it, even for a second or three. Glad you're skill was up to it and that you're alright.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Glad to hear it was a bone-chilling but happy ending bob. Gotta stay careful out there guys.

Local Boy
01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the CLUB!...Brutha!:D

ALOHA

TAKEDOWN
01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the CLUB!...Brutha!:D

ALOHA

I say again Localboy... you confuse driving with surfing!

CBT
01-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Did you buy a lottery ticket yet, lol. The worst I lost it in the Marauder it was so out of control I let go of the wheel and had time to think "Damn, this was really a nice car" as I looked out the passenger door window at a concrete interstate flyover support I was 'drifting' towards. Then the car slapped back the other direction one last time and put me perfectly straight, right back in the lane I lost it in. I looked at the wheel, yelled out "HA!" and grabbed it and kept on truckin. The pucker factor was, well, let's just say you couldn't have nailed a stick-pin up my butt with a sledgehammer. (easy, knine...)

BODYMAN
01-19-2009, 07:01 AM
GLAD YOURE SAFE! Bob,

Tom Doan
01-19-2009, 08:04 AM
This is the reason I found this site on the first day I had the car, I found out the reason is crappy control arms in the rear and the first mod I did and the first mod I tell everyone to do but most want to go faster first and then you end up sideways out of control.

Master
01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I've long held that too much salt onthe highways is easily as dangerous as the ice it is put there to prevent. In fact, it can be worse because people rarely modify hteir driving habits to account for the presence of salt. IT IS DEADLY! its like driving on a shuffle board. I never (well, hardly ever) goose it in the winter unless we've had a good rain to get all of the salt off the pavement first. Just too damn dangerous! And, you don't have to be in a 5oohp car, either.
Glad you are OK, though. Way to keep it straight.

Bradley G
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
oK! tOSS tHOSE UNDIES OUT! :eek:

justbob
01-19-2009, 03:20 PM
What undies? It was sunday, the one day to relax!:D

This was only the second time in my life where a vehicle trully scared me. Some would say that i used to be reckless around anything with an engine, motorcross, quads, scratching kneecaps with the GSXR in the rain! But i find the older i get the less stuff i'm willing to do, i have too many mouths to keep fed and a loving wife to come home to. It seems that ever since i quit looking for trouble that now trouble looks for me.

I've had a fun life with very few regrets, i've jumped shopping carts in a Ford Fiesta, I've had a Camaro a couple feet high on the passenger side banking an exit ramp, I used to race cars on the freeway with my sleds. There wasn't too much that i wouldn't do on a dare! God forbid if there was $20.00 involved!!!! But yes i was quite shaken over this ordeal yesterday and i just wanted to post what IS possible in a mostly stock but s/c car because i know there are plenty out there alot quicker than mine and i don't want to see someone get hurt. I really didn't think what happened was possible, my ignorance is your warning. Once again stay safe.

Bradley G
01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I can totally relate to this experience first hand, the upgraded control arms may have helped me rite the ship.

Brian H
01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Your nearest Wal-Mart has packs of 3, (Fruit o'th Loom naturaly) for 3.95

Brian H
01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Just incase U wanna try it agin.....

justbob
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Not gonna happen, i think.

justbob
01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Funny you bring up control arms Brad. I've always wondered why? Could someone tell me in simple terms just what they do for you and how traction is a benefitting factor?

Tom Doan
01-20-2009, 07:04 AM
It keeps the cars rear end under your rear end when the power starts to overwhelm the tires and wants to step out to the right. The factory control arms are a joke, about as stiff as 8 minute linguine. When you pull out the stock ones you will shake your head in disbelief. This up grade you can feel just pulling out of your driveway in reverse at 2 mph and it is an easy DIY job that can be done pretty quick and all the notes are here from Zack and Mac somewhere, I do not know how many MM's have been lost because of this problem but many more will meet the Grim Reaper.

Local Boy
01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
If you don't have control arms Justbob...Get them...

It does help in keeping it straight...and launching it...

I'm sure it saved me quite a few times...

ALOHA

justbob
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
I shall look into this. Thanks.

Motorhead350
01-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Bob and you are the one telling me to be careful??? :confused:

sanco
01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
lol woooohhhoooo bob!!!!!! good stuff!!! nothing like going sideways doing 90 to make you feel alive again lol

its good that youre fine but man thats an awesome story lol

TAKEDOWN
01-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I'll allow you to jump out my BurrrFday Cake sideways too!

justbob
01-24-2009, 08:08 AM
She was like 1 mph away from upshifting and then this wouldn't have happened with my granny shifts! Anyways metcos are now ordered, with thanks to Dennis for letting me ramble his ear off for fifteen minutes yesterday.:D

Black_Noise
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
better get out there and detail the seat before that stain sets in :lol:

congrats on not dying