PDA

View Full Version : Got a Garage Lift

sweetair
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Thought I would share with the group. Back in Oct I ordered a 4 post lift for my garage. It finally arrived last Fri. pm. It had to be the coldest day so far this winter in MD. High of 17 degrees. Needless to say it was pretty cold.

With the help of 4 buddies it took us 30 min to unload 1800 lbs of steel from an enclosed trailer. About 6 hrs later it was up and running. There was a little "hitch" or two in the install, but that is almost expected.

All I can say is this is a beautiful piece of equipment. I am now able to work on ALL my cars and the Marauder is in her new home, 6ft in the air with my DD under her. All my cars are once again under roof.

Enjoy some pics and thanks for reading along.:beer:

TiTo35
01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Looking good :up:

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
That is absolutely beautiful. Hopefully one day I can have such a luxury in my home.

Peter
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Congratulations on the lift!
How tall are your ceilings?

sweetair
01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Congratulations on the lift!
How tall are your ceilings?The ceiling in this garage is 12'. The lift goes 71.5 inches up, about 6', the Marauder is a little under 5', about a foot to spare. It looks close from the ground.

merc
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
You are my hero. :)

sweetair
01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
You are my hero. :)Thanks, but looking at your numbers for your Trilogy set-up compared to what mine are, you sir, are my hero!!:beer:

Rocknthehawk
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
mmm.....g8

TAKEDOWN
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
How much it cost ya, if you don't mind me asking?

Peter
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
...Or more photos of the G8?

sweetair
01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Some pics of the G8. It replaced the 1997 Jetta. Great car. It is the GT and the ride is great.

sweetair
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
How much it cost ya, if you don't mind me asking?Just north of 4k. It is USA made. You can much cheaper with a lift made with Chinese steel. I'll tell you that they skimp on more than just the steel. Bend-pak is an example of a Chinese lift. This company is Back Yard Buddy.

TAKEDOWN
01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Just north of 4k. It is USA made. You can much cheaper with a lift made with Chinese steel. I'll tell you that they skimp on more than just the steel. Bend-pak is an example of a Chinese lift. This company is Back Yard Buddy.

Thanks... All American for me, if I ever get one!

justbob
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Aren't you quite limitted on what you can work on seeing as how its a drive on rack? Or is this more of a storage system?

I've been looking into a two post so i can get at everything such as brakes, suspension, exhaust and such. I suppose even better, buy both lifts! Oh and i forgot to say "nice rack".

n00bkiller944
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Wow! Awesome! I am absolutely green with envy right now!

Fourth Horseman
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Love your cars and your lift! :bows:

jonroe
01-21-2009, 05:40 AM
All I can do is DROOL! I'd love to have that. My current garage is too short for it.

ImpalaSlayer
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
id love to have one as well the the celing is too short :cry:

DTRMiguel
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Beautiful i love it... What company lift is this?

ctrlraven
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Thought I would share with the group.

Aww Bill your so nice to want to share your lift with us. When may I come over and change my oil and trans fluid?

I assume there would be a small hourly fee or I can pay by beer. lol

Looks great and congrats on doubling your garage space!

sweetair
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Aren't you quite limitted on what you can work on seeing as how its a drive on rack? Or is this more of a storage system?

I've been looking into a two post so i can get at everything such as brakes, suspension, exhaust and such. I suppose even better, buy both lifts! Oh and i forgot to say "nice rack".True, a two post lift gives you more access, but there is almost 4 feet between ramps and there is a platform that I can move from front to back and place a jack on it to lift a car to do the brakes. I have set up a car on a 2 post lift before and it is not as easy as just driving on. This gives me the best of both worlds.

sweetair
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Beautiful i love it... What company lift is this?BackYardBuddy.com go check it out.

sweetair
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Aww Bill your so nice to want to share your lift with us. When may I come over and change my oil and trans fluid?

I assume there would be a small hourly fee or I can pay by beer. lol

Looks great and congrats on doubling your garage space!Thanks, and we can discuss the beer for lift time.:D

Got_1
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
so jealous man!! when ever i get out of my parents basement, i'm gettin one of those in my garage!!

Vortex
01-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Id be interested in your comparo between the MM and the G8 GT.

sweetair
01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Id be interested in your comparo between the MM and the G8 GT.Stock to stock the G8 wins. 302HP to 361HP. The suspension of the G8 I feel is much tighter as well. There is a weight advantage to the G8 to help out here. The seats of the G8 are more supportive/firm and the 6 speed auto with sport mode/manumatic stick is pretty cool as well. The MM is much bigger overall. More cabin room and trunk space. The G8 is the DD, the MM is the garage queen, and always will be.

However...........with the Trilogy on the Marauder, the G8 doesn't stand a chance and the Marauder is my favorite.:D:D My opinion is biased as this IS a MARAUDER site. The G8 is a great ride though and I would highly recommend it join your stable as well.

jgc61sr2002
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Congrats - Looks great.:D

Dark_Knight7096
01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Seriously man, I have no idea how I survived before mine. I'm spoiled and ruined for life now :)

congrats!

BIGGDOGG
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I have owned BackYard Buddy lifts for years now. I visited several companie's factories before I purchased. Far and away, BYB was and is the safest 4 post lift in the marketplace. One look at the sleeve design versus all the other lifts with channel design will sell you. Last year I purchased my third BYB lift (the overheight model) and it is awesome. My first two lifts are of the "standard lift" design. I used them in a 10' ceiling garage. Firebirds on top and Firebirds on the bottom, no problem. With my present 12' ceiling. I park a Trans Am on top and park my Avalanche underneath; this is with the overheight lift model. Visit the factory in Ohio, worth the trip.

All the best,

Rich

Joe Walsh
01-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Bill, Did you anchor the lift to the floor, or is it 'freestanding'?

sweetair
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Bill, Did you anchor the lift to the floor, or is it 'freestanding'?Joe, it is free standing. It CAN NOT spread apart. You are in this area now and again, let me know if you want to stop by and have a brew while "inspecting" it. You can actually get casters for it and move it while your car is ON it. I did not get those.

Mike Poore
01-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Good for you, and ....welcome to the club.:woohoo:

As for the comparison between a 4 post and two post, I give the four post the edge. For one, it's much more stable, and when you need the suspension hanging there's "tool" shelves that slide on inside tracks that allow for bottle jacks, etc. to lift anywhere you want to access transmission, or suspension bits. Plus, and this is a biggie, you can open the doors with the vehicle partially raised to do work on the interior and under the dash. Another plus is that with dolly kits the lift can be moved from bay to bay. Lifts are, in a word, wonderful. :)

BIGGDOGG
03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I have owned BackYard Buddy lifts for years now. I visited several companie's factories before I purchased. Far and away, BYB was and is the safest 4 post lift in the marketplace. One look at the sleeve design versus all the other lifts with channel design will sell you. Last year I purchased my third BYB lift (the overheight model) and it is awesome. My first two lifts are of the "standard lift" design. I used them in a 10' ceiling garage. Firebirds on top and Firebirds on the bottom, no problem. With my present 12' ceiling. I park a Trans Am on top and park my Avalanche underneath; this is with the overheight lift model. Visit the factory in Ohio, worth the trip.

All the best,

Rich

Maybe a picture would help....

Bigg Dogg

n00bkiller944
03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
^^^^I WANT IT! How many cars do you have!?

PhastPhil
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Annnnnnd, did you notice, there is another garage door on the side of the building, because there is room in FRONT of the lifts to park more cars ! ! !

:awe: and this is me burning up with envy :fire: :D

offroadkarter
03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Some pics of the G8. It replaced the 1997 Jetta. Great car. It is the GT and the ride is great.

talk about an upgrade!!! :D

The garage lift looks great to!

Mike Poore
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Congratulations! Ain't they great? :high5: