PDA

View Full Version : CAI.....How Many Choices Do I Have?

Ms. Denmark
01-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I "searched" JLT and K&N Are there others? The K&N seems to offer more pow-pow-power vs JLT. (Which I see offers a S&B filter. But S&B doesn't offer a kit for the Marauder.) Does the car's A/F run rich or lean? Cost isn't my first concern. What do you guys think?

Joe Walsh
01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
PHP/Paul's High Performance made a great looking CAI, with a fitted aluminum heat sheild.
I know that Dennis R sold them for a while....not sure if they are still available.
I wish that I had bought one.
:(

finster101
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I have the K&N and happy with it.

Krytin
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
For the not-to-mechanically-inclined, the K&N might prove to be better. I believe the heat shield/filter support on the K&N kit bolts to the fender well where the OEM air box attached. This would make intake tube line-up i***t proof and eliminate hood liner rubs.
The JLT is half the price but has no mount to the fender well (I believe Defyant solved that problem). You need to be careful w/clamp placement and tube alignment to prevent the dreaded hood liner rub.

That said, I'm very happy w/JLT's kit. A tune does help get the most hp out of it. The shift in A/F ratio is marginal. I would not put too much on any advertised hp gains.
When retuned I picked up a little over 20 rwhp at the peak but that was w/the JLT and Accufab's 62mm T/B. Before the bolt ons there was a nasty dip/drop on the dyno chart @5500 rpm. I believe the JLT was the cure for that.

Smokie
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I "searched" JLT and K&N Are there others? The K&N seems to offer more pow-pow-power vs JLT. (Which I see offers a S&B filter. But S&B doesn't offer a kit for the Marauder.) Does the car's A/F run rich or lean? Cost isn't my first concern. What do you guys think?

This is what I have: PHP sold by Dennis. Is possible if you have a tune that it may run rich, lean I don't think so. Javier.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/PHPAirBoxInstall008Small.jpg

O's Fan Rich
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I have the K&N, bought it from Lidio along with the Tune.
So, I cannot say too much about a re-tune, but I don't think the CAI alone would be a big deal.

It was easy to drill to install my meth injection nozzle too!

High-C
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I am partial to JLT because they have outstanding customer support, performance, looks, and they are based out of VA. BE CAREFUL Ms. D... This modding stuff is extremely contagious and before you know it, you'll be starting threads about which pulley to put on your SC to get more boost!!! :D

You really can't go wrong either way, it is a must do mod... Good Luck!

- Chris

Egon Spengler
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Has anyone noticed on ebay that K&N CAI kits have doubled in price since I bought mine about a year and a half ago!!

Dragcity
01-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Miss D. be advised, you may develop a notable BOG at WOT acceleration from a stand still. I had tons of issues with that and wound up not using the JLT I got. I did install a 90MM Maf and tuned it and am all better now, but it was a PITA for me. Must have installed and un-installed it 20m times over the first two years. The stock airbox and intake really are pretty good.

freakstatus
01-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Does the PHP kit use the stock intake tube? Do you just get a filter and heat shield?

High-C
01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
IIRC, all three options come with a new intake tube. The K&N is black molded plastic, the JLT is ABS that is painted to match the vehicle, and the PHP ones that I have seen are done in Carbon Fiber, although they may offer something different as well. Again, I think this is one of the best and easiest mods that can be done to our cars. :burnout:

SC Cheesehead
01-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Does the PHP kit use the stock intake tube? Do you just get a filter and heat shield?

Stock intake tube.

SC Cheesehead
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
PHP/Paul's High Performance made a great looking CAI, with a fitted aluminum heat sheild.
I know that Dennis R sold them for a while....not sure if they are still available.
I wish that I had bought one.
:(

I got a used PHP CAI from one of the members here on the site, so price was considerably less than new.

Like the look, the sound, and (IMO) the improved performance. If I can get a pic taken, will post up.

Blackened300a
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM

It uses the stock intake tube, but there is the optional Metco intake tube which will bring the cost of a complete PHP kit to almost $600.

Go with the JLT but you may have the bog off the line at WOT without a tune.

ctrlraven
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
JLT all the way.

Plus you can get the intake tube color matched to your car paint.

Hotrauder
01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I haven't had experience with a lot of women but I do have long time experience with a few...that experience has not led me to believe that choices are a woman's best friend. :rofl: Buy the K&N and never look back. Mine has been on since July of 2005. 3K NA and 23K with Eaton and Lysholm TS Trilogy Super Chargers. It works great has a phenominal sound and the engine believes it is OEM. Not one concern even for a minute. Have fun. Dennis

RF Overlord
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
My $0.02:

I have the PHP from Dennis on The Blackbird. It was a breeze to install, looks good, and works fine. No bog.

I think they're still available.

freakstatus
01-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, I'll ask it.....Whats the justification on the price of the PHP at $300 for just a filter and a heat shield (no intake tube)?

This is not a shot, I'm just curious.

Blackened300a
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Ok, I'll ask it.....Whats the justification on the price of the PHP at $300 for just a filter and a heat shield (no intake tube)?

Just the look. It flows like the JLT and the K&N.

hot-rauder
01-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Go with the K&N. It looks cleaner IMO and the heat shield is a tight and secure fit. I bought mine with it already installed and loved it vs my brother stock intake. Sound is right on and it is smoother looking and cleaner than the JLT intake IMO.

JLT looks like it was hacked together. JUST MY OPINION!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/DSCN2217.jpg

rayjay
01-23-2009, 03:20 AM
I have a PHP/JLT hybrid setup. It was less back then (04) but still pricey.

Hotrauder
01-23-2009, 10:48 AM

There are questions and there are questions...no offense, but this is a good question with no good answer that I have heard in the last three and a half years. A lot of things here mystify me but then maybe it is just me. Dennis

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/8/5/5/Sebring07065.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/8/5/5/IMG_0264.JPG

Smokie
01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't know what the price of today's PHP CAI is, mine was less than $300. You get the custom made steel frame, the filter and pre-filter and polished stainless steel cover, you do not get an intake tube.

Just for your information when you change to a different intake tube than OEM you do not get more airflow, however you get more sound from the front of your car, many folks love this extra sound "whoooosh" I happen not to like it, I have always liked my car to be quietly fast.

My decision for buying the PHP was the all metal construction and that it allows me to use the stock OEM intake tube. My ride is very, very quiet except for the unique whine of the Eaton blower when I am into the BOOST.:D:banana:

Ms. Denmark
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks to all you guys, for the feedback. There is no body's opinion I trust more than yours. Sounds like there are three choices. Definitely want to avoid the BOG at WOT. Want it to look good. ( might find myself parked next to Doom or Paul) Don't necessarily want a huge increase in front end noise. Ease of installation is important.( Can't wait to get under the hood.) What was it Dennis said about women and choices........? ;)

Pat
01-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Ms denmark;

With respect, I noted from your bio and your statement above, "want it to look good. (might find myself parked next to Doom or Paul)", that high performance is not your intent.

So, I would recommend the JLT. Good looks, ease of installation, agressive sounding, and the price is right.

Below is a picture of my installation, with the addition of a "bling" heat shield from e-bay for $12.00 including shipping.

There is one drawback to the JLT and that's rubbing a hole in the underhood insulator, albiet small. I could never position my kit, and believe me I tried, so that the kit didn't rub. Doesn't hurt the kit, but where the hood meets the intake (TB to pipe adapter) is a ridge. One can remove the insulator and grind down the ridge and vola, fixed. Reinstall the hood insulator and good to go. No parts just an electric sander or grinder is all that's needed.

There will be those who say they don't have that issue. Well and good, but be advised if you do have this issue then grind down the ridge before the wear progresses. It's not hard to see.

Regards,

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/5/0/7/Dsc01404.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/5/0/7/Dsc01402.jpg

fastblackmerc
01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Go with the JLT.

Here's mine.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/Marauder/IM000946.jpg

I added a polished stainless steel heat shield.

freakstatus
01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Since we're all sharing.....

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc114/freakstatus/My%20Marauder%20pics/102_0386.jpg

hot-rauder
01-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I just find the smooth design of the K&N much better. I do not like the JLTs sectioned look

slick rick
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Today i bought a K&N from another member here.I didnt like the look of the JLT.

Bradley G
01-25-2009, 06:56 AM
You could "choose" to do a tune instead, Cammers' get this lady a ride in a tuned MM!
The open element CAI set ups have no way to keep the heat off the engine from being injested into the intake.
With a tune you will have more powa and it won't let you down in the Hottie weather.
I had the JLT on for a while N/A, & with the Trilogy^^ same a Javier said, too Loud for my taste.
I went back to the factory air box, which is good for way more power than I have.

justbob
01-25-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm not a fan of the extra noise myself. With having the trilogy and a CAI Every cop would here me coming (not just 95% like it is now!) I just installed the drop in K&N factory replacement for more flow and lifetime use.

With that said, if you are looking for better under hood looks i've always been a fan of K&N looks and fitment.

Ms. Denmark
01-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm not a fan of the extra noise myself. With having the trilogy and a CAI Every cop would here me coming (not just 95% like it is now!) I just installed the drop in K&N factory replacement for more flow and lifetime use.

With that said, if you are looking for better under hood looks i've always been a fan of K&N looks and fitment.Thanks Bob, I'm leaning in that direction. :)

SC Cheesehead
01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Finally got a photo of my PHP. Nothing at all against JLT or K&N, I just like the look of the PHP better, and IMO, it does a good job of heat shielding.

rayjay
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Rex, where did you obtain the decal?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 413&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233443073 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 413&d=1233443073)

a_d_a_m
01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
i think that's a mercury marine motors decal...?
saw a few on eBay awhile ago.

Blackened300a
01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Rex, where did you obtain the decal?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 413&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233443073 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 413&d=1233443073)

Look's like the MERCURY boat engine logo. I imagine that sticker could be found at a boat store.

Krytin
01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Look's like the MERCURY boat engine logo. I imagine that sticker could be found at a boat store.
Available on line - the T- shirt is good too!

Mike
01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
I have the K&N CIA on my Black MM and a JLT CIA on BLUE and the only difference that I've noticed is a bit more noise with the JLT :D

PantherP71
01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
My 300A came with a K&N. I'm overall happy with it.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/pantherp71/100_1184.jpg

rayjay
01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

SC Cheesehead
01-31-2009, 05:31 PM
i think that's a mercury marine motors decal...?
saw a few on eBay awhile ago.

Yup, that's correct.

I used to live not too far from the Merc. Marine plant up in Fond du Lac County, so there's a connection there for me as well.

Ms. Denmark
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
You could "choose" to do a tune instead, Cammers' get this lady a ride in a tuned MM!

Great idea! Doomie's up and left me so.....I guess that leaves Paul or maybe Jim, or Gordon............? Flip a coin , guys. :)

Bradley G
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Looks sweet though!
Too bad metal is such a good conductor of heat.
That shield is warming the intake air, in the hot season.
None of the CAI systems keep out the engine compartment air from being ingested entirely, though The K&N has the closest thing to it.

Finally got a photo of my PHP. Nothing at all against JLT or K&N, I just like the look of the PHP better, and IMO, it does a good job of heat shielding.

1stMerc
01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
My 300A came with a K&N. I'm overall happy with it.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/pantherp71/100_1184.jpg

Looks like that filter needs oiling.

PantherP71
01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Looks like that filter needs oiling.

Yes, Yes it does. VERY much so.