PDA

View Full Version : I learned another lesson...

Motorhead350
01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I really don't want to, but I'm going to have to face the fact that my truck is getting old. I don't think I will ever drive it out of the midwest again and I don't ever want to be stuck 1,000 miles from home even if it's in a nice place. I just drive it because I cannot stand modern styling if anything really, it wasn't just because it's fun and cool looking.

I am going to look for a new truck soon, but I am not getting rid of the K5. The K5 will be parked and sit for a while before I set it on fire and scrap the metal. No matter how much cash goes into this thing there is always a new problem... it's worse than a lease.

Someone once told me that Ford is coming back with the Bronco in 2012, but I don't see any signs for it. I like the Toyota FJ Cruiser believe it or not and some American trucks look cool too. I like the looks of a Dodge and Chevys, but my best experince seems to be with Ford. The problem for me is the F-150s looks ugly to me, but I like the F-250+ but there really is no reason for me to have something that big.

So the point of this thread is modern trucks.

What do you have? How do you like it? How dependable has it been?

I am open to all makes and models from all brands.

Thanks.

CBT
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks.

Jeep Scrambler. I know they don't make them anymore but I still want one.

nomad
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Dom. Have you looked at the new '09 f-150s. Pretty nice!

Hacklemerc
01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
It depends on what you are using the truck for. I had 3 different Ford Rangers over the years and loved them. I could do everything that a fullsized truck could do but saved the gas that a bigger truck would eat up. So basically I say buy a ranger...:D

Spectragod
01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I've had y share of trucks, the Supercrew H-D F250 was a POS in the snow.... with 4WD, but it was a nice truck, I personally like the new F150's, had Chevy's trucks/Suburban's 1500 & 2500 series, never had a issue, the best one I ever had was my 1997 1/2 ton 4X4 Suburban.

What ever you choose, when you find it, you will know it's right for you. Looking is half the fun...

MeadeRaudeR
01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
my 98 3/4 ton suburban with the 454 sits out all winter in this crap weather, starts everyday and goes thru anything, all this PLUS pullin down 7 mpg in the city!!!!

Blackened300a
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I had a chevy avalanche with the 5.3L and it was extremely reliable and it was a really nice truck. Our service truck is a Silverado with the 6.0L and its been very reliable with the abuse a work truck get's. My father has a 04 F-150 and he's owned it since new. With 90K miles on it, its never let him down.

Black_Noise
01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
new dodge ram baby!

SC Cheesehead
01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Dom,

I've had a couple Rangers and now own (well, Ma does actually) an Escape.

If you're looking for something small, fairly agile and fun to drive, you may want to check out one of those.

Otherwise, F-150 would be my choice if I was looking for a full-size truck.

FordNut
01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Lightning.

a_d_a_m
01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
why don't you just get a crate motor/trans and swap everything out in the K-5?
then you've got what is basically a NEW vehicle, with older looks...

Motorhead350
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
why don't you just get a crate motor/trans and swap everything out in the K-5?
then you've got what is basically a NEW vehicle, with older looks...

I have that already. It has a create Ram Jet 350 fuel injection and that engine is great!!! The tranny is new from AAMCO and now I have this... stuck 1,000 miles from home. :o

a_d_a_m
01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
so basically you have a new motor and trans, and the new trans gave you problems.

i would say this is a fluke and not worry about it.

if your powertrain is new and your fluids are clean, what's the problem? drive it.

Motorhead350
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
It's kinda hard to drive when it doesn't wanna get out of first gear or act like it's in neutral all the time... yup it's a mess.

a_d_a_m
01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
right, but other than that (which is going to be fixed under warranty) it shouldn't give you many problems...

Motorhead350
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
right, but other than that (which is going to be fixed under warranty) it shouldn't give you many problems...

Ya, but the starter needs to be hit sometimes to fire up and the header is in the way to change it. I know it sounds simple... remove the header... the header is welded to the collector so I would have to cut the pipe to get the header off just to change the starter. I don't have tools like that and I don't want to pay 100s of dollars for something I could do if I had the right tools.

Adam I just had it with this truck, it makes since why you see vehicles for sale that have been in storage for 30 years. Mine will never be for sale, but it will be in storage soon. :mad:

justbob
01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Try 90's style f-150! There very reliable. I've had 4 89-94 f150's, one 91 f350, and one 96 ranger. Most were very well used, one had 242,000 on the clock when i sold it for the Marauder. And all were in perfect condition and NEVER left me stranded!

1 Bad Merc
01-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Dom ...your going through what everyone experiences who builds or fixes older cars. Nothing fits perfectly or works right the first time all the time! That's why they have what people call shake down cruises! Even new cars in the first year of production have problems and then the next year the factory fixes' em. Consider this your shake-down cruise....you now have found the weak parts and you get them fixed. Once you get everything sorted that truck will be very reliable!

When you get home borrow a sawzall cut the header flange from the pipe, check the starter wires (specifically the ground -which has a tendency to get loose -I am sure you already checked the wires already -Correct?), replace the starter and then take the truck to a muffler shop that will weld the header flange/pipe back up for $100 bucks. Now you have solved the problems and the truck will be fine until you start doing the neutral drops again! (Just my joke here!)

Dont let it get to you and enjoy the journey. Look how many new things you found out about. Dont quit and keep going

Brad

Motorhead350
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
You have a good point Brad, it's just really annoying and this isn't the first time. It's still a 20 year old truck. :depress:

I see your point and I will inspect it after I cool down. :mad2:

1 Bad Merc
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Your right Dom -it is a 20 year old truck -that's what makes it soo COOL!

Have fun my friend and enjoy your trip.

Brad

Motorhead350
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I think you are one of the few that actually understands my frustration as suppose to getting rid of it.

Iowa Rick
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
So the point of this thread is modern trucks.

What do you have? How do you like it? How dependable has it been?

Thanks.

I had a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2wd with the Hemi for 5 years. Only real problem it had was a bad bearing in the rear end. Dodge replaced the whole rear under warranty.

I traded it in October for a 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4 Extended cab. Its a nice truck but it doesnt have the performance of the Hemi but it does get better gas mileage. I actually got over 19mpg on a trip to Kansas City right after I bought it.

I'd have bought another Dodge but I wasn't sure the company would survive to honor the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I had a 1987 Ford F150XLT before the Dodge but it had more issues the 6 years I had it. My experience with it and a 1990 Mercury Sable decided me to try another brand.

I really don't have any brand preference as long as it is made by an American manufacturer.You can see that by my current stable. 1 Dodge, 1 GMC and 1 Mercury. As long as you don't get a lemon and take care of it most any car will take care of you. To me the dealership is more important than the brand. Rick

Rocknthehawk
01-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Ranger.

make sure it's an extended cab, with the 4.0L, if you want to have fun driving it.
the 2.3 or 2.5L with a manual will get great mileage.

Or buy mine,,,;)

TAKEDOWN
01-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I think you are one of the few that actually understands my frustration as suppose to getting rid of it.

I understand too, I'm just letting you vent. :mad2:

Motorhead350
01-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Ranger.

make sure it's an extended cab, with the 4.0L, if you want to have fun driving it.
the 2.3 or 2.5L with a manual will get great mileage.

Or buy mine,,,;)

You have a sharp truck, but yours is 2wd isn't it?

Plus I kinda need something bigger, but I like your ride. A LOT!

Andrew I know you understand me too.

Rocknthehawk
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
You have a sharp truck, but yours is 2wd isn't it?

Plus I kinda need something bigger, but I like your ride. A LOT!

Andrew I know you understand me too.

Haha! yes, it is 2wd, and I loooove it. Managed 21mpg on a trip to Long Island a couple weeks ago, and I just made a drive home from work in 4+ inches of snow.

I think Rangers have a bad rep for size, because they're the ONLY compact truck now. The extended cabs actually have a lot of room...just don't expect to put a person in the back. If you're not planning on hauling real heavy loads, but want to use of a "truck", the ranger is the best option.

If it's interior room you want, and the ability of a truck, I'd say an avalanche or something similar. Plenty of room inside, and you can still put a full sheet of plywood in the bed (with the gate down).

Dragcity
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Two words....

Lincoln Navigator.

hot-rauder
01-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Haha! yes, it is 2wd, and I loooove it. Managed 21mpg on a trip to Long Island a couple weeks ago, and I just made a drive home from work in 4+ inches of snow.

I think Rangers have a bad rep for size, because they're the ONLY compact truck now. The extended cabs actually have a lot of room...just don't expect to put a person in the back. If you're not planning on hauling real heavy loads, but want to use of a "truck", the ranger is the best option.

If it's interior room you want, and the ability of a truck, I'd say an avalanche or something similar. Plenty of room inside, and you can still put a full sheet of plywood in the bed (with the gate down).

+1 Dom...

Aaron has owned 3 rangers before and loves all of them. Our older brother drives one as well. They do just about anything you need to do. We understand your love of your Blazer. Our brother had a 79 K10 Blazer. Would a newer Tahoe suffice? Similiar size, not nearly as roomy though.

I think you would be very happy in an Expedition. Its large, roomy, and will nicely take the place of a full size blazer. Or if you want another hassle go buy an old Ramcharger! lol

Motorhead350
01-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Two words....

Lincoln Navigator.

Two words... in the words of Iggy Pop and The Stooges...

No Fun.

I actually do want a RamCharger someday actually. :D

I love all that 2 door old school SUV stuff. Jeep had something like that too which I am also fond of.

ctrlraven
01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Dom get a Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee Sport (Inline 6). Easy to work on IF you need to plus there is a very large aftermarket following so you can have it your way lol.

Motorhead350
01-31-2009, 12:18 AM
I will actually look at Jeeps at the Chicago Auto Show in a few weeks, but I don't know. I love those Chevy's, but they don't love me.

justbob
01-31-2009, 08:08 AM
There are a few reasons why i made the big jump to ford after many years as a die hard chevy guy. The first and most important.............Being stranded got old quick!!!!!

GodOSpeed
01-31-2009, 08:39 AM
If you want fun to drive Toyota FJ is a snappy machine with a great ride.
My Dads got one and he loves it.
Can be had with a TRD supercharger option and full factory warrenty.