PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Broadband

Ladyhawke
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Verizon BroadbandAccess. I'm thinking of purchasing the USB modem for my laptop. I'd appreciate any pros/cons to the service.

Thanks!!

sd8683
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Verizon BroadbandAccess. I'm thinking of purchasing the USB modem for my laptop. I'd appreciate any pros/cons to the service.

Thanks!!

I'm on mine right now lol....... I love it! No complaints from me:)

merc
01-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I have ATT broadband and would think the only difference is access points.

Ladyhawke
01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

We aren't on the internet a lot so I'm trying to decide if the 5GB plan is the better option.

sd8683
01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

We aren't on the internet a lot so I'm trying to decide if the 5GB plan is the better option.

I went for the 5GB plan....... Just because I didn't want to worry about going over the limit on the lesser plan. It is VERY expensive if you go over.

Ladyhawke
01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
That's what I was thinking. Better to have more than not enough GB. Have you had the opportunity to use it outside your local area?

sd8683
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
That's what I was thinking. Better to have more than not enough GB. Have you had the opportunity to use it outside your local area?

I took it with me to Missouri. I had no issues getting a connection anywhere

Ladyhawke
01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I have ATT broadband and would think the only difference is access points.

Thanks Merc, you are giving me another option to explore. :banghead:
Is ATT wireless? Access points ... you mean like USB or PC card? Sorry I'm a little behind the techno knowledge. Remember I'm still on slow net.com.

Ladyhawke
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I took it with me to Missouri. I had no issues getting a connection anywhere

Cool, I want to use it when we travel to places without internet access.

By the way, Congrats on the Bruins 3-2 win over the Caps. :banana2:

sd8683
01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Cool, I want to use it when we travel to places without internet access.

By the way, Congrats on the Bruins 3-2 win over the Caps. :banana2:

Ahhhhhhhh Noooooooo You spoiled it for me lol. I recorded it on my DVR and was gonna watch it when I got home:D

Ladyhawke
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Ahhhhhhhh Noooooooo You spoiled it for me lol. I recorded it on my DVR and was gonna watch it when I got home:D

Oops ... sorrry!! :banghead:

Gordon said it was really a good game so watch it anyway. ;)

sd8683
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Oops ... sorrry!! :banghead:

Gordon said it was really a good game so watch it anyway. ;)

Oh I will:D

bob6364
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I had the card for my laptop from Verizon we travel up and down the east coast and my son would be online in the back seat the whole time ,actually we where thinking of ebaying the old card shortly.

Pops
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Chris Linda said you should take a look at the Sprint air card. It runs 60.00 a month. We use it and it works great.

SC Cheesehead
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
I've got Verizon BroadBand for my laptop at work and like the service.

The coverage areas keep expanding and I can connect virtually anywhere I can get a cell phone signal.

Breadfan
01-27-2009, 08:55 PM

If I recall, the choices from Verizon are either 50mb or 5gb, with a $10 difference between the two, and $0.25 a mb over. Sounds like they just want to standardize on 5gb. :)

5gb should be plenty.

I've setup some aircards using verizon broadband access, it's pretty easy to setup. You can even get them as an internal card in the laptop - cool!

Ladyhawke
01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I checked out ATT's website last night and will look at Sprint tonight. It's good to have different options.

Breadfan
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Something to keep in mind, consider where you wish to use the mobile broadband the most - I know there may be places you don't go often, but sometimes folks have routine places they may wish to use the mobile services.

In that case you may want to ask around to see how each providers coverage is in that area.

Especially with 3G and EVDO-a you may find some more remote areas do not get these newer/faster bands but you'll operate instead on a slower data network depending on the provider's coverage.

The coverage at my house is actually driving my choices for a new smart phone, so I've been looking at similar things and had to consider my locations when picking a provider.

Green96
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I have no other broadband service available, so I actually use it for my main home connection. It has been OK, but the connection becomes very poor if you do not have a strong EVDO signal. Basically if you have a stong EVDO signal it connects broadband service. If you do not it connects to the RTT1X NationalAccess service which is basically slightly faster than dial up but with the added bonus of really bad latancy. If you are using it at home do a search on Cradlepoint;).

ckadiddle
02-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Kadiddlebabe had Verizon card for her laptop for a couple years. Worked well as she travelled around a good bit. We even got a signal on top of a small mountain in Tennessee on our honeymoon trip. You can pretty much get internet anywhere you can get a cell phone signal.

It is not nearly as fast as land based DSL or cable modem speeds though, but faster than dialup. Although they call it "broadband" in the ads, I consider it "patient band". You just have to have patience while your page loads.

It was costing sixty bucks a month so we let the contract end after we got married and she moved to Orlando. I already had DSL and a home wired and wireless network set up so it was no longer needed.

GordonB
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Ladyhawke,
Joan and I opted for the Verizon Land Line FiOS in October. Our Triple play pkg gets us upwards of 50 Mbps and never lower than 10Mbps. If you have Verizon in your area with FiOS, get it and don't look back, unless you don't need much for bandwidth. However, the TV service is MUCH MUCH better than Comcast and the Internet service is great. Have not had a single outage in 4 months.
GordonB

Ladyhawke
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
We are currently on dial-up so we understand what slow is. The turtles are faster than us. We don't want to be tied down to a land line that is why we are looking into this. Verizon's coverage area fits our travel destinations. And as long as it works in those areas and with my work's VPN, I'll be happy. I'm hoping to get a laptop from work in March then we will take out the service and kick its tires.