PDA

View Full Version : Please stop texting!

Motorhead350
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't know about you guys, but amoungst people my age the texting has gone way too far. I guess the concept was good at first and supposed to be a once in a while thing. Now I am noticing people having agruements, very important conversations and normal conversations for long periods of time. It seems like texting has become the new phone call for some people.

This is killing time for some and being extremly rude to others. Examples such as in a movie theatre, a passenger in the car on a road trip, A DRIVER :eek:, going out to dinner... all of these times I see people texting. Almost like when you are in line at an auto parts store: it's your turn and the phone rings and the employe takes care of them first just as if they budged you. I've also noticed some people don't even know that they can TALK on a phone anymore. I have a few people that will never pick up the phone or return a call, but as soon as you text they are on it like AIM.

I do text, but not more than three times a day (if at all) and if I do it's not during an important time with another or when I should be keeping my focus on the subject on hand.

I know I had a "rant" on this about a year ago, but I've noticed things are only getting worse. Please please stop texting, especially if it's something important like a problem with your girlfriend... we can talk about these things you know. :shake:

a_d_a_m
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
i hate texting.

TiTo35
02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I know how you feel Dom...I have to text some ppl JUST to "talk" to them...if I call them they wont answer, but if I text....I get a reply back before I hit send good! I work at THE library...so its something I do to unbore myself and to past time. Other then that I say just call me...because the convo will be only 30 seconds as opposed to 15 minutes of texting.

Motorhead350
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh no! I just had to do it now because my friends "voicemailbox" is full! What has the world come to? :eek:

sd8683
02-02-2009, 06:30 PM
I HATE talking on the phone so I would rather send text messages

Motorhead350
02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I HATE talking on the phone so I would rather send text messages

Is that right?

sd8683
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Is that right?

Yes it is.........

bob6364
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Is that right?

Its ok Motorhead hes from Boston no one would be able to understand him on the phone anyway...:lol:

hot-rauder
02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Its ok Motorhead hes from Boston no one would be able to understand him on the phone anyway...:lol:

where he Pahks his cah is his business.

I hear ya Dom, if it is important. Otherwise I would text. I text Sean to tell him I found my old MM. Just a little note that if I were to have called him, it would have been an awkward 1 minute call.

The reason texting is so popular and hear me out is communication evolution. People still have phone conversations, but think about instant messaging. It was so popular when it first came out. No one said, "well why dont you just call them?" then.... Talking, actually speaking to someone is very intimidating to some people especially if they cant see the other persons facial expressions. Also arguing over the phone with your girlfriend or wife can sometimes get drawn out and have a lot of misunderstandings. By being forced to put it in words, the person sometimes feels that they are being more concise and direct.

Although I do not feel texting is the new talking, nor am I intimidated by actually speaking, even infront of large crowds, I do like textring. It allows me to say quick notes and things to my friends without engaging in a long convorsation, and they can see what I say anytime they want to.

JUST DONT TEXT WHILE DRIVING!!!!!!!!

sd8683
02-02-2009, 07:29 PM
I NEVER text while driving.... I try not to talk on the phone while driving either.

hot-rauder
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I NEVER text while driving.... I try not to talk on the phone while driving either.

I am quick texting on the blackberry Pearl, which I know Dom hates, and Sean and I both own, BUT, it is a hard and not worth it to text and drive. Plus I am driving a stick all the time so I really cant lol.

sd8683
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I am quick texting on the blackberry Pearl, which I know Dom hates, and Sean and I both own, BUT, it is a hard and not worth it to text and drive. Plus I am driving a stick all the time so I really cant lol.

Oh I'm pretty good at texting....... I don't even have to look lol

justbob
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I've also noticed some people don't even know that they can TALK on a phone anymore

My phone has calling features???????WOW learn something new everyday!:D

NATEHAWK
02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I text....So dont call me lol

Rocknthehawk
02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I bought a phone with a keyboard.....

keep the phonecalls down damnit.

It's actually cheaper for unlimted texts a month, than enough minutes to have a conversation.

An average month for me is well over 12,000 texts.

stryker
02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Please please stop texting, :shake: :shake: !!NO!!, I like texting is interesting( except when you're driving) and believe it I have seen people driving with one hand and the other texting with the cell phone :loco: I do not approve that behavior but every day we see more people instead of calling, texting, texting permit you tell some things that you can't say talking by Cell if are persons near you, It has his advantages .

Motorhead350
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I like picking up the phone and saying weird stuff that would creep the public out. One of my favorite pickups is "Heaven, God speaking." My friend one time said "God, I would like to speak to the devil." My responce: "Just a second... hello this is Dominick."

I love talking on the phone and completely dislike texting unless I need an address and cannot write it down at the moment.

Blackened300a
02-03-2009, 05:11 AM
I rack up over 1200 text's a month. Most of my friend's like to talk and talk. I just don't have the time and patience to put up with that. So I shoot a quick text and I'm done.

Sorry Dom, I'm not going to stop.

knine
02-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Isn't this texting? Messages sent, just to more than one recepient. What are you really trying to tell us Dom? :dunno:

ImpalaSlayer
02-03-2009, 05:52 AM
i too cannot stand long drawn out texing convos. especialy at work! im like wtf this is work not ****in text battle time

SID210SA
02-03-2009, 06:42 AM
There is an even newer trend now: sexting!!

Drewstang
02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
i luv this thread so much i posted this from my blackberry.

RoyLPita
02-03-2009, 06:51 AM
I text HERE. I do what AT+T said in the 80's and that is: "Reach out and touch someone."

Nowadays, I have to try my best to not get arrested for fondling. :D

Motorhead350
02-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I just don't have the time and patience to put up with that. So I shoot a quick text and I'm done.

So you can text quicker than you can talk? :P

burt ragio
02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Texting is just another way of communication. It does have it's purpose time and place as E-mails phone & letters. I feel some who text hours on end for all reasons do simply because it gives them a feeling of security, an out to not answer should they choose, time to think about a rebutal In some cases a break down of communication. I' am ok with texting & phone calls just take your texting & phone calls where the rest of use don't have to hear or see your conversation taking place with other people that are not part of the party.

Egon Spengler
02-03-2009, 08:15 AM
All I do is text! I have the texting plan... it helps break up the day at work when I can text my friends and my girl and hide it from my boss! I can text here and there instead of being on the phone all the time and my boss hearing me! I hated it at first too, but I got the EnV phone with the keyboard now and everything... texting is key when you have an office job!!!!

ckadiddle
02-03-2009, 08:33 AM
The only thing that annoys me about text messages is a few people that will continue to send us text messages AFTER we have asked them to make voice calls instead.

We have thousands of voice minutes we never use, but text messages cost 20 cents each for incoming or outgoing on our plan. You wanna text me? Start paying my ATT bill every month.

hot-rauder
02-03-2009, 08:46 AM
i luv this thread so much i posted this from my blackberry.

haha My BB pearl is knoda slow on MM.net because of all the scrfipt it has to run..... but I make due ;)

i was going for the iPhone but i cannot type on a touch screen

Blackened300a
02-03-2009, 09:04 AM
So you can text quicker than you can talk? :P

Not quite but Im pretty damn close!

Motorhead350
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
You must be good at video games too.

If I knew where exactly where my old gaming systems were I could challenge you to Twisted Metal 2. ;)

Dr Caleb
02-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't know about you guys, but amoungst people my age the texting has gone way too far. I guess the concept was good at first and supposed to be a once in a while thing. Now I am noticing people having agruements, very important conversations and normal conversations for long periods of time. It seems like texting has become the new phone call for some people.

I empathize with you Dom. I can get 200 texts a day from the servers I babysit, over 1000 if they misbehave. Which is why I have an unlimited texting plan.

Then I get people texting me instead of calling. Sometimes they text to see if it's OK to call, which is fine.

My way of dealing with it is to text 'yes/no/call me' and nothing more. This ensures the thumb based conversation will be short.

duhtroll
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Texting has 3 uses:

1) When in a room that is either too quiet to talk or too loud to talk

2) In areas where there is little or intermittent signal a text can get out but a call cannot, in many cases

3) When you need to contact several people at one time and don't have a computer handy - like in bad weather conditions forcing an event cancellation. My texting students all at the same time is much easier than using a phone tree.

I hate texting but it is useful once in a while.

Oh and

4) When you don't want to talk to someone. I also hate long phone conversations and if the person you need to contact doesn't know when to shut up, texting is the answer.

Its when texting replaces talking to someone 3 feet away that it becomes dysfunctional. I see kids (4) at a restaurant not talking to each other, but texting others.

stryker
02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
;) - Keep texting is good and !WaeSoMe!

Motorhead350
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
;) - Keep texting is good and !WaeSoMe!

Wrong, no, you fail! ;)

Just messing with ya.

stryker
02-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Wrong, no, you fail! ;)

Just messing with ya.Wrong,Yes,you fail!, I know Mang, Keep texting.:)