PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Required

Master
02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Have to replace the front rotors and pads on the 04 Focus Wagon. The OEM stuff really stinks, and the $500 the dealership would have charged for the replacement job can go toward some nice hardware that I'll install myself.
So, any suggestions as to what would be my best bang for the buck? I know that there was a company in the US that for $500 got me slotted, heat treated rotors and Carbon/Kevlar pads that were the end-all of braking issues. However, this was not really a streetable set-up as they didn't bite till somewhere around 1100F or some crazy temp.

Would love to hear what you folks would suggest as well as who is carrying them.

RoyLPita
02-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Check with WChain for brake parts.

Motorhead350
02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I would take one for the wagon and get the OEM parts. You can mess with a bunch of stuff, but brakes are not one to be cheap about.

I would install them myself though and save the labor money.

Master
02-03-2009, 08:05 AM
The OEM brakes are pretty crappy. Not only from personal experience, but I work with a former Ford Service Manager who concurrs. The factory pads and rotors don't hold up. They need replacing far too frequently and are prone to warping. Lots of customer compaints on Foci due to premature brake jobs.
Unless dealers are going to be reasonable about the amount they charge to perform service, they don't touch my cars.
Checked TireRack and they have some good products with good reviews and good pricing. Will check with Wes as well.

fastblackmerc
02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Master, try these guys. Bought rear slotted rotors and upgraded pads for my MM. Quick service, decent prices.

http://brakeperformance.com

a_d_a_m
02-03-2009, 08:38 AM
unless you are road racing the car, why would you need anything besides parts-store quality brakes? cheaper and they do the job, usually warranteed.

IIRC, the brakes on my '04 focus ZX3 first went at (17k). i replaced the brakes with whatever the mid-grade stuff was and they lasted me until i got rid of the car...which wasn't that long. the brakes were followed shortly thereafter by tires (18k). when that set went bald at 33k, i said "this is too expensive" and got rid of the car.

Master
02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Two words: Longevity and quality. You get what you pay for. I want a quality component that works very well. By investigating thoroughly and getting good feedback from those who have done it before I hope to maximize my hard earned dollars.

rayjay
02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Try this guy: http://www.newedgeperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=39

I made a number of purchases from him while building up my 00 ZX3. Great service.